Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Looks like the Republicans are starting to get their money's worth out of the Supreme Court.

As I understand it, Labour has had some issues with anti-Semitism in its ranks as well. Which Corbyn has received a fair bit of heat for how he has addressed (or not addressed) the situation.

But I'd be curious to hear BST's thoughts.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, 84 Lives!!! said:

Of course he is...

We expect that.

No one expects him to just openly reveal his proprietary methods of money laundering. Or his proprietary methods of tax evasion. Or his proprietary methods of bank fraud. Or his proprietary methods of insurance fraud. Or his proprietary methods of amoral corruption.

That's why there are Congressional investigation, NY State Investigations, and subpoenas for his tax returns, bank records, financial history, etc., etc.

You can worship your hero Donald "Soft & Juicy Backside" Trump when he's in federal prison for the next 20 years for his "proprietary interests"...

Come back when you have proof of any of this. Or just continue to outright lie like when you completely misrepresented who loans him money, per his financial disclosure. 

8 hours ago, tigerbomb13 said:

That looked like it was either a TIA or a stroke. 

1 minute ago, stanpapi said:

Come back when you have proof of any of this. Or just outright lie when you completely misrepresented who loans him money, per his financial disclosure. 

Come back when you have proof of all the Democrats and FBI guys going to jail.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Come back when you have proof of any of this...

Just wait for it Stan. It's coming. 

When the convictions come down, let's revisit, shall we?

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Come back when you have proof of all the Democrats and FBI guys going to jail.  

First of all, what you all parroted for 2+ years is now debunked as a myth. That's crystal clear. What I've been saying is now ongoing with fervor. And I've got news for you....the president of the united states is not going to throw around treason accusations without knowing the playbook. Which is precisely why there has been a little ****storm coming from nancy and schiff for brains and all the rest. They know it's coming and are trying to discredit it. He's all but begged them to impeach and they won't. Why is that? They want to keep the spotlight on potential crimes that they know don't exist because they know some very real crimes are coming down the pike. And Trump will have NSA and DIA level evidence to back those up.

Just to be clear though, I never once said "all the democrats". 

9 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

First of all, what you all parroted for 2+ years is now debunked as a myth.

not me.  Trump doesn't have the ability to collude with Putin.  

Also, stop pretending that Trump is:

(1) normal

(2) smart

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

...the president of the united states is not going to throw around treason accusations without knowing the playbook...

You mean our clueless F of a MORON-in-CHIEF actually understands what treason is?

That brainless **** has no F'ing clue; he's grabbing for straws because he's drowning. His presidency is going down the tubes and he knows it. He's going to be convicted for RICO, Bank Fraud, Insurance Fraud, etc... and he knows it. All his lies are going to be exposed so he's panicking... He's trying to cry wolf, err, treason, hoping he can somehow shut down Constitutionally-authorized Congressional Oversight with Trumptard Base Public Opinion.

He's hoping his clueless ignorant base will be stupid enough to actually believe this horse****.

And... guess what Stan?

14 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

.the president of the united states is not going to throw around treason accusations without knowing the playbook.

LOL, I missed this the first time I read it.  Do you have any idea how silly this sounds?  Trump throws around **** every day that no real president would ever touch.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

LOL, I missed this the first time I read it.  Do you have any idea how silly this sounds?  Trump throws around **** every day that no real president would ever touch.  

Treason is a very specific accusation. 

14 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

It's Trump.  He'll say anything. It doesn't need to be true.  He doesn't need a reason.  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's Trump.  He'll say anything. It doesn't need to be true.  He doesn't need a reason.  

Trump is going to have DIA and NSA garnered evidence when this comes out. Those accused will have a hard time refuting that. 

2 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Trump is going to have DIA and NSA garnered evidence when this comes out. Those accused will have a hard time refuting that. 

I wouldn't really care.  If somebody broke a law, they should face the consequences.  I just don't see it happening.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I wouldn't really care.  If somebody broke a law, they should face the consequences.  I just don't see it happening.  

So let me get this straight....you say that if "somebody" broke a law, they should face the consequences. Then you say "I just don't see it happening".  But you all swore it was going to happen to Trump for two years. And now that it didn't happen, you all try to keep twisting yourselves into believing that he's somehow still a criminal, and that we should continue to investigate him until we find a crime....because there just has to be one there somewhere. But when it comes to "somebodys" other than Trump, you just don't see it happening. 🙄

I was about ready to say your post was a solid post until the last 6 words.

21 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

So let me get this straight....you say that if "somebody" broke a law, they should face the consequences. Then you say "I just don't see it happening".  But you all swore it was going to happen to Trump for two years. And now that it didn't happen, you all try to keep twisting yourselves into believing that he's somehow still a criminal, and that we should continue to investigate him until we find a crime....because there just has to be one there somewhere. But when it comes to "somebodys" other than Trump, you just don't see it happening. 🙄

I was about ready to say your post was a solid post until the last 6 words.

Again, I never said anything about the Russian stuff in all that time.  I never thought anything would come out of it, just like I never thought anything would ever come out of Benghazi and the e-mails.  Why would I expect something to come out of a new investigation spearheaded by people I don't trust?

As for Trump, I have said all along, keep an eye on the financial stuff.  The results could make you sad. 

1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

43 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why would I expect something to come out of a new investigation spearheaded by people I don't trust?

Yep

Most ppl aren't going to believe a bunch of proven liars

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

As I understand it, Labour has had some issues with anti-Semitism in its ranks as well. Which Corbyn has received a fair bit of heat for how he has addressed (or not addressed) the situation.

But I'd be curious to hear BST's thoughts.

Yes, lots of heat. And it'll be utterly impossible for Corbyn to shake that off, but it won't make that much a difference *in itself* - it's just another stick that the part sf the media which dislike him will use to beat him with.

That's not to say that there isn't a problem within some parts of the Labour party with anti-semitism. I do think it's overblown at times and people will conflate a political question about Israel's occupation policies with anti-semitism, but there is certainly a strain that runs through some of the people who might back Corbyn which is unpleasantly anti-Semitic (and, in my view, quite unpleasant in general at times - the way they react to valid critical opinions of him for example).

Having said that, the Islamophobia running through the Tories is at least as bad - and, in truth, probably much worse. Some of the things Johnson has said for example are horrendous. But that doesn't get anywhere near as much reporting.

Tbh Corbin has more of a problem trying to keep his own party together and trying to deal with sitting on the fence a bit too much - Brexit being the case in point. They're about to get slaughtered in the european elections as a result.

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So would other parties be willing to build a coalition with Corbyn were Labour to win in 2022 (or whenever elections are mandated to beheld)? Would Labour have to find new leadership to form a government if they won majorities during the next election and given Corbyn the boot? I get the sense that Corbyn is viewed by the political elite and news media in the UK much the same way Bernie Sanders is viewed here in the US.

Sanders is that unpopular?

A more centrist-led Labour party might be able to do a deal with the Lib-Dems. Plaid Cymru and the Green might also come on board over some things, but that's minimal seats so might not be much use. The problem is that I'm not sure the current leadership can do that deal very easily - they really are struggling to keep opinions within their own party in line - Jess Phillips, who comes across as an utterly sensible person, was very critical last night on a satirical TV programme about the leadership for example. But then Corbyn, because of the ideas, seems to appeal to younger voters, which is obviously a large chunk.

The elephant in the room is the SNP - the most obvious candidate for any coalition with Labour in lots of ways. But that'd be almost impossible because of the way in which the Scottish parliament works which pits the two parties traditionally against each other and Labour would really, really like to win back the Scottish seats they lost tot he SNP in the landslide of 2015. I suspect that's unlikely to happen for a generation at least anyway.

Ding a deal with the SNP pretty much involves backing a second referendum on Scottish independence which I doubt Labour would ever do. Which is a bit daft on the grounds it's going to happen at some point, especially if Brexit needs up going tits up. I rather hope early enough that I can get my Scottish EU passport and sail through customs queues...

But it's possible. Even as a natural Labour voter (on the grounds I live in England and there's no chance of a Green being elected in my constituency) I have my doubts however.

Of course, not being in power during Brexit is a sensible enough strategy.

4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Yes, lots of heat. And it'll be utterly impossible for Corbyn to shake that off, but it won't make that much a difference *in itself* - it's just another stick that the part sf the media which dislike him will use to beat him with.

That's not to say that there isn't a problem within some parts of the Labour party with anti-semitism. I do think it's overblown at times and people will conflate a political question about Israel's occupation policies with anti-semitism, but there is certainly a strain that runs through some of the people who might back Corbyn which is unpleasantly anti-Semitic (and, in my view, quite unpleasant in general at times - the way they react to valid critical opinions of him for example).

Thank you for the context... I'm sure that some of the scrutiny lacks fairness, but also believe that sometimes unfair scrutiny may cause his ardent supporters to dismiss the very existence of a problem, which clearly isnt the case.

4 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Having said that, the Islamophobia running through the Tories is at least as bad - and, in truth, probably much worse. Some of the things Johnson has said for example are horrendous. But that doesn't get anywhere near as much reporting.

Reminds me of our media. Where, in many corners, a first-term Congresswoman from Minnesota is the biggest anti-Semitic force around today while ignoring, you know, actual anti-Semites.

Not to mention that the Republican Party under Trump probably isnt too far off the mark from the Tories in the Islamophobia department. We had a case down here where the local GOP nearly kicked someone out of leadership because of their religion. Didnt go through, but the vote was closer than it should have been.

15 hours ago, chasfh said:

Looks like the Republicans are starting to get their money's worth out of the Supreme Court.

******* terrible

48 minutes ago, pfife said:

******* terrible

Not such a big deal.  The 2020 census will probably trigger changes again.  It is flipping confusing to be in an area that has changing maps every year or two.  

41 minutes ago, Melody said:

Not such a big deal.  The 2020 census will probably trigger changes again.  It is flipping confusing to be in an area that has changing maps every year or two.  

I mean, whether the changes are fair depends on the situation... the Texas GOP controls all levers of government here, so I'm sure they will slice it to their advantage. Whereas in some Midwestern states (such as MI, where they passed an independent commission, or WI, where government is divided), you will at least have a chance at fairer maps.

And yes, this is a case where 'both sides' does apply... as Illinois and Maryland demonstrate