Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/despite-wage-growth-the-average-american-suffers-as-cost-of-living-rises-at-a-faster-pace-2019-01-10

Even if the economy is on a roll, many Americans aren’t feeling the benefit.

Real wages effectively declined in 2018, according to figures from the PayScale Index, a formula from the Seattle-based salary comparison site. PayScale said the median wage increases, when adjusted for inflation, were only 1.1% since last year and 1% over the past year. “However, the modest uptick in nominal wages failed to bring real wages out of the red for the year,” it said. In fact, when adjusted for cost of living increases, real wages declined 1.3% since the end of 2017, PayScale found....

That runs counter to the latest Bureau of Labor Statistics data, which showed an annual increase of 3.2% in average hourly earnings in December, but that’s before accounting for inflation. The PayScale data also stand in contrast to otherwise encouraging news about the labor market. The U.S. unemployment rate remained near a 49-year low of 3.9% in December.

PayScale looks at median, not average wages, “so outlier growth doesn’t bias the results,” ....

I’m convinced Rick Santorum only appears on CNN to troll the hosts and guests who question Trump policy. He’s like the token Trumper every news outlet is obliged to have these days. 

9 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Gavin-Newsom-drinking-water-tax-budget-2019-detail-13527647.php

What's next? Tax the awful California air that those folks breathe? 

As George Harrison once famously wrote: "you're working for no one but me". 

George Harrison was writing about progressive income taxes, not consumption taxes.

22 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Thoughts and prayers

what a carefully parsed, weasley defense: "here is the context I believe accurately reflects...."

AND OH BTW  -- IS ALL THE LEFT'S FAULT!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Rand Paul, who once compared socialized medicine to slavery, is going to Canada to have a hernia repaired. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/425222-rand-paul-to-have-surgery-in-canada

I'm confused, I thought Canadians came to the US because they were suffering and being euthanized in Canada? 

Rand Paul?   Canada?  Euthanized?      ...............Hmmm.................I just had an idea...........

7 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

what a carefully parsed, weasley defense: "here is the context I believe accurately reflects...."

Yeah,  I heard McCarthy citing "Party Of Lincoln"

This annoys me. 

If you have been paying attention the last 50 years or so, you'd know that the Republican Party used the backlash from the Civil Rights Movement to woo the South (Nixon even coined it the Southern Strategy) and ever since then they have been tiptoeing around racism.  You know, the Dog Whistle thing.   Everyone knows this.   And I am not saying every single Republican, but a majority of them have been doing this my whole life and I'm 54.    Trump came along and replaced the dog whistle with a bullhorn and they've now come out of the closet.   The "Party Of Lincoln" has been creating this Frankenstein since 1968 and the monster got loose in 2015.   Now they are trying to get us to believe they didn't create it.   Give me a break.  

Anyone who knows anything realizes the roles of the two parties, in regards to race, have completely flipped since 1865.    They need to put that "Party Of Lincoln" bull**** to bed.  Lincoln was a Liberal   

And I don't think this new Chief Of Staff is going to make it to April and it would not surprise me at all to see Trump hire Steve King.  

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's every Trumpian trope ( the left, the media, academia, etc) tightly packed into one ~200 word letter.

That said -- King will bounce back, regain the support of his party, and be re-elected in 2020. Book it.

7 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It's every Trumpian trope ( the left, the media, academia, etc) tightly packed into one ~200 word letter.

That said -- King will bounce back, regain the support of his party, and be re-elected in 2020. Book it.

Probably. He’s been saying racist things for over a decade, and that hasn’t stopped him from getting re-elected yet. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Probably. He’s been saying racist things for over a decade, and that hasn’t stopped him from getting re-elected yet. 

The current iteration of the GOP has a pattern of recognizing racism and sexism are problems with the party shortly after they lose an election, after which they return to their normal modern ways.  I see no reason why this cycle will be any different.