Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Next up: Republicans object to Warren claiming American Indian ancestry dating back so far, double down on "Pocahontas" epithet.

The current line is 1/128th Cherokee doesn’t count.

Her older Republican brothers are pissed at Trump and Co

26 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

The current line is 1/128th Cherokee doesn’t count.

They have a point.

26 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Her older Republican brothers are pissed at Trump and Co

Collateral damage. Who gives a s***.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

They have a point.

I agree, although it's no weaker than most of Trump's points.  

Interesting thread on the impact of Sears....

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Wow.  That was interesting!  

Living overseas for a large part of my childhood, we got most of our clothing and Christmas gifts from the Sears catalog.   Also made paper dolls from old catalogs.  And oh, the excitement when the holiday toy catalog would come in the mail!   The toys, fashion etc were so different in Europe from the states.  A little bit of home in a small village in Bavaria.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

I'm pretty well-educated about Jim Crow society, but I never knew about the Sears catalog bypassing local Jim Crow-based commerce. Awesome and terrible at the same time. The video was very informative, especially the part about the catalog bonfires in which, Hyman says, white land and store owners were willing to deny white people's access to Sears catalogs just to ensure that black people would not have access to them.

I read an article not long ago about the Sears kit homes.  A local amateur historian and retired journalist has been identifying and photographing them in my city.   I’ll try to find it.  The search feature on his blog is a little difficult to use.

I can imagine that back when our city was a pretty rough and tumble place, fairly isolated and there started to be an influx of work seekers from elsewhere, the Catalogue was a bit of home for them too, and especially their wives.  

2 minutes ago, Melody said:

I read an article not long ago about the Sears kit homes.  

there are several in A^2, a couple in my neighborhood in fact....

Let’s see if I’ve got this straight. Between 2009 and 2017 the deficits were all Obama’s. Now that the Trumpublican’s are in charge the deficits magically are blamed on everyone 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2018 at 7:29 AM, CMRivdog said:

FWIW

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/elizabeth-warren-releases-dna-test/XtfaECDdCJulolDz2bqGQK/

Ms Warren’s DNA has been analyzed by a Stanford University expert and shows strong evidence of Native American ancestry dating back 6-10 generations.

Leaving aside the reported fact that her DNA was not compared to that of anyone known for certain to have even been Native American, a single full-blooded Native American ancestor ten generations back would make her .0009765 "Native American," or 1/1024th -- less than one-tenth of one percent -- "Native American."  I suspect that if you merely shake the hand of an actual  Native American  it will make you more "Native American" than that.

Literally nobody cares about it except Republicans trying to discredit her.

The fact this is the gotcha is pretty telling.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Literally nobody cares about it except Republicans trying to discredit her.

The fact this is the gotcha is pretty telling.

It is pretty silly. Irks me still that she or her employer were using it for some advantage or credit not merited.  But at the end of the day none of it would affect my decision to vote or not vote for her. We disagree on policy.  Don’t care about her cheekbones or 10th great granny.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Let’s see if I’ve got this straight. Between 2009 and 2017 the deficits were all Obama’s. Now that the Trumpublican’s are in charge the deficits magically are blamed on everyone 

Saw this just this morning. 

Like Johnson actually cares about the national debt. It’s a base rallying tool - nothing more.

Nobody cares about the debt; if they did, and tried to fix it, they would blow up the entire ****house.

They know it - won't be on their watch - they hope.

Tick, tick, tick.

• Like 1

Yes, you've got it straight.  

1 minute ago, six-hopper said:

Yes, you've got it straight.  

So you agree Trumpublicans never accept any responsibility for anything

22 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Like Johnson actually cares about the national debt. It’s a base rallying tool - nothing more.

I think he might.

There's one place that does all spending and one party that's controlled it since 2010.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, screwball said:

For context;

image.thumb.png.ae8b2a64948b1d59040687308fcd200b.png

Who's winning?

Banking-Elite-infograph.png

• Like 1