Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

so, since Hodge-Podge has disappeared under such mysterious circumstances that the Mods can offer no other advice than to start a new one - here it is. However, In the interests of alliteration and not to be accused of plagiarizing the inestimable Auberndale Ray, I have named it Pot-pourri. 

So to start:

a pretty bad month for Fox news and Roger Ailes continuing dreams of putting Repubs in the WH.

First their "Man from the CIA" Wayne Simmons pleads guilty to being a fraud.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/29/media/wayne-shelby-simmons-fox-news-cia/

Then lackluster ratings for their convention coverage:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/rnc-2016-ratings-fox-news-flat-big-jump-for-cnn-msnbc-1201819792/

and of course,  Roger Ailes is toppled - and was there really any doubt watching the way they have stage managed the feminine presence (can you say eye-candy?)  in their production that Fox has been an organization infused with sexism from the get go?

And now they have a candidate that some of their leading commentariat (Kristol, Krauthammer) oppose. With Ailes' messaging discipline having exited the scene, this is going to be uncharted media territory for a GOP national campaign.

It will be interesting to see if Hannity, OReily and Sustern follow thru with their threats to leave. Could be an opportunity to remake the brand and improve the demos to something appealing to those under 70

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so, since Hodge-Podge has disappeared under such mysterious circumstances that the Mods can offer no other advice than to start a new one - here it is. However, In the interests of alliteration and not to be accused of plagiarizing the inestimable Auberndale Ray, I have named it Pot-pourri. 

So to start:

a pretty bad month for Fox news and Roger Ailes continuing dreams of putting Repubs in the WH.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/rnc-2016-ratings-fox-news-flat-big-jump-for-cnn-msnbc-1201819792/

and of course,  Roger Ailes is toppled - and was there really any doubt watching the way they have stage managed the feminine presence (can you say eye-candy?)  in their production that Fox has been an organization infused with sexism from the get go?

And now they have a candidate that some of their leading commentariat (Kristol, Krauthammer) oppose. With Ailes' messaging discipline having exited the scene, this is going to be uncharted media territory for a GOP national campaign.

Read Ailes is going to write an autobiography.  Has a deal with Harper Collins.  Why would anyone want to read it; or believe anything this slime has to say?

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So to start:

So this isn't the pot thread?   

12cheech1024-730x497.jpg

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

So this isn't the pot thread?   

It will read like one soon

18 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

It will be interesting to see if Hannity, OReily and Sustern follow thru with their threats to leave. Could be an opportunity to remake the brand and improve the demos to something appealing to those under 70

I would really like to see a news channel for middle America.  Call it moderate if you want to, but something without an agenda to push. Covering the facts without all of the "talking heads" on.  

Hannity and O'Reilly would flourish under another Clinton Presidency.  They owe their careers to Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Hannity and O'Reilly would flourish under another Clinton Presidency.  They owe their careers to Bill and Hillary Clinton.

As does Rush and right wing talk radio

I'm sure those guys can also count about 12 wives due to their celebrity from the Clinton presidencies.\

35 minutes ago, Oblong said:

the fact than there are people who can actually watch Hannity for more than 30 seconds without vomiting is maybe the biggest bit of evidence that homosapiens is a doomed species.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the fact than there are people who can actually watch Hannity for more than 30 seconds without vomiting is maybe the biggest bit of evidence that homosapiens is a doomed species.

There's one view you may want to re-examine.    I can't stand Hannity.   Since we agree, you should be worried.

• Like 1

I was having trouble figuring out who you guys were talking about.  Why not just call him Lumpy like everyone else?

56 minutes ago, Oblong said:

They may flourish with Dear Leader Trump too...

25 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

19 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

There's one view you may want to re-examine.    I can't stand Hannity.   Since we agree, you should be worried.

His style is just grating... he invites people onto his show and interrupts them before they can complete entire sentences.

8 minutes ago, Walt said:

I was having trouble figuring out who you guys were talking about.  Why not just call him Lumpy like everyone else?

I'm still waiting for Lumpy to be waterboarded for charity....

Just now, mtutiger said:

I'm still waiting for Lumpy to be waterboarded for charity....

<gets out wallet, throws at monitor>

If these guys don't pull their heads out of the sand soon, they are going to lose their elected positions.

Stephan Mayer, a lawmaker in Merkel’s Christian Democratic-led bloc, urged calm and warned against hasty judgments, particularly over the chancellor’s refugee policy, which triggered public anxiety after more than a million migrants made their way to Germany in 2015.

"There is a rising nervousness among our public,” Mayer, who sits on parliament’s internal affairs committee, told BBC Radio on Monday. “You have to differentiate -- the events of Friday have nothing to do with our refugee policy. It is completely wrong to blame Angela Merkel and her refugee policy for this incident."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/germany-put-on-edge-after-unprecedented-string-of-four-attacks

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

His style is just grating... he invites people onto his show and interrupts them before they can complete entire sentences.

This has been Fox News' style for years amongst the majority of its hosts, and likely promoted and encouraged if not mandated by Ailes  The "fair" side (i.e., conservative) gets to speak freely, while the "balanced" side (i.e., liberal) is lucky to get two words in before being spoken over or shouted down by the host or the fair-sided guests.

Do they need a warrant if it was a public place and conversations were in the open?