kdog

2016 Trade Deadline Thread

Some scrub team like the Tigers will probably sign him. But I doubt a contender would have any interest.

The rumor that's been going around is the two Florida teams might take a shot with him.  Miami for 1B to cover Bour's injury there, and Tampa to get tickets sold, which I guess would be Miami too since it's his hometown.

10 hours ago, PuNk42AE said:

The rumor that's been going around is the two Florida teams might take a shot with him.  Miami for 1B to cover Bour's injury there, and Tampa to get tickets sold, which I guess would be Miami too since it's his hometown.

Yeah, I saw that the Yanks are considering just releasing him.  I posted it in the retirement thread, but will link it here, too. 

I love this line:

Rodriguez is four home runs shy of 700 for his career. Having number 700 celebrated by the Marlins’ obnoxious home run sculpture would be fitting.

21 hours ago, rhino said:

I'm not quite sure where Upton fits into the discussion. If the assertion is you'd rather bring Gose back then take a chance on a rebound/change of scenery with Gomez, I could understand that.

Merely pointing out that Upton was good last year as well. Doesn't mean he'll hit this year. 

With Maybin on the shelf, if Gomez clears waivers and is released I would happily take him. Not much to lose.

I might even consider putting in a claim.

Has he even been out on waivers yet? He may have already cleared the revocable trade waivers, and if so, they could in theory be trying to trade him before putting him on release waivers.

Sounds like the Cards might be looking at him now too after having Holiday get hit on the hand, and most likely out for the year.

I would be glad to take Gomez simply because he can run the bases and is a natural outfielder, even if he doesn't hit at all that would make him a useful bench player, and the Tigers are quite weak in that department

Noting that I have a long history of hating Gomez since his rookie year

FWIW, does anyone else feel it a 'bit' odd that a contending team (I do feel this about the tigs at this time) has not added a 25 man roster type player to help from outside the organization by now? Of course just any player does not mean they would help - but most clubs contending do add pieces that they feel could help. Some of course do so and others do not... Much is done because of injuries and if we get anymore we could (if not already) be far too short to maintain. I am not saying yes or no to CGomez, but the Mets and Cards may have interest and there are going to be others. One could say CMcGehee falls under this category and we would be seeing at a lot more of MAviles if that was not the case. 

I'm not sure I understand the question. I'm sure they evaluated who was available in trade to try to upgrade a spot here and there. But it still has to be worth the cost. Aviles is a bad player, but they had JD coming back. Upgrading the bench would have been nice, but that wouldn't yield a very big improvement. 

Mid we are talking about adding mediocre players at best, I don't see how that really improves the team beyond the guys they had returning from injury. 

Now that it is August, it's a lot harder to make a trade for a good player. 

A bit over 4 days to make trades for the Playoff roster, any players that anyone would like to Target now?

9 hours ago, Casimir said:

Anyone still itching to do the Upton for Puig thing?

I think I still would. 

Signing Pearce instead of Aviles as many wanted would have been sick. I know it may not have ever been realistic, but Kim,Pearce and Kelley instead of Lowe,Avile and Upton would have been huge, and is not hindsight

Hmm, since rosters are expanding and Maybin may need rest periods (hopefully just that), it might be an idea to look at Drew Stubbs as a role/bench player: RH (yes, aware he is not a real good hitter per say), can play all 3 OF spots pretty well, good speed and some power. He was DFA yesterday by Texas...

Josh Thole re-signed by the Jays in some roster ju-jitsu

To make room for Thole, the Blue Jays optioned Devon Travis all the way down to the Appalachian League, which is freakin’ rookie ball. But that wasn’t some slight to Travis, who has hit decently in nearly 300 plate appearances this year. Rather, it was a neat way to make quick roster space: since the Appalachian League season ends tonight, he can immediately be called back up to Toronto tomorrow rather than having to wait ten days if he had gone to Triple-A. He’s likely not “going” anywhere other than to his living room for the day.

I thought this was interesting.  I think it was Shelton who touched on this with Boyd's demotion to Toledo.

Josh Thole re-signed by the Jays in some roster ju-jitsu

To make room for Thole, the Blue Jays optioned Devon Travis all the way down to the Appalachian League, which is freakin’ rookie ball. But that wasn’t some slight to Travis, who has hit decently in nearly 300 plate appearances this year. Rather, it was a neat way to make quick roster space: since the Appalachian League season ends tonight, he can immediately be called back up to Toronto tomorrow rather than having to wait ten days if he had gone to Triple-A. He’s likely not “going” anywhere other than to his living room for the day.

I thought this was interesting.  I think it was Shelton who touched on this with Boyd's demotion to Toledo.

Yeah, a lot of teams use this loophole to get around the 10 day requirement at the end of the year. Not sure when the various Tigers minor league teams end their seasons, but the Tigers could have done it if they wanted to.

It didn't matter with Boyd, because he isn't needed until the 6th. For mcgehee, it could have helped, but the Tigers didn't call up Moya or machado today, so they obviously don't feel a need for more bench bats.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but it at least explains why they didn't use the loophole.

I really don't recall this loophole being used before, but I probably wasn't paying particular attention to it.  I do recall instances where guys were recalled from the minors before the 10 days do to injury to another player.

I don't remember it happening as much in the past than it seems to be now.

I did find one mention of it being used by the Orioles in 2014, where they sent down a couple pitchers to rookie ball at the end of August so they could call up some position players.

I think the reason is it happening more now than in the past is the change in the playoff eligibility rules.

Before, to be eligible, you had to be on the 25 man roster (or injured) on August 32 to be eligible. The only way around that was if an eligible player was injured when the playoffs began, and you could replace the injured player with anyone that was in the org on August 31. But those replacements still had to be approved. They almost always were approved. I don't recall hearing about an injury replacement being rejected by the league. Either way, you were still limited in that by the number of players that were injured when the playoffs began. Thus, sending down players near the end of August and recalling them after September 1 would result in players that were not automatically eligible for the playoffs.

However, now that the rule has changed to make all 40 man players as of August 31 eligible, there is no danger in sending a guy down on August 30. He's still on the 40 man and remains eligible.

I think 2014 was the first year of the 40 man version of playoff eligibility. So the ability to tweak the system has really only been around a few years.

I could see this rule being altered going forward in the next CBA. They could do away with the early call up and make it 10 days no matter what. Or they could make it so that you could come back before 10 days, but only if all of your minor league affiliates have finished their regular season.

Yeah that is probably why we are seeing so much of it now without much before.  I'm not sure there would be a change with the CBA only because I doubt the Players Union would want that.  If you're a MiL guy who gets the callup because of it and now a ML salary, I doubt the PU would want that changed.

Yeah that is probably why we are seeing so much of it now without much before.  I'm not sure there would be a change with the CBA only because I doubt the Players Union would want that.  If you're a MiL guy who gets the callup because of it and now a ML salary, I doubt the PU would want that changed.

I doubt it would be a huge sticking point, but if the league wants it they could push for it. As for the players, it affects the guys being sent down, too. A pre Arb player gets paid less for days he is in the minors. And for the guys being called up, they would still be called up on 9-1.

Players could view it as being unfair to some teams if some have teams with seasons ending before others.

True, maybe I could see it being changed to the end of the Regular season, not including playoffs.  Unless it's already that way.