kdog

2016 Trade Deadline Thread

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Ooh, get ready for the exciting Tiger debut of Alex Presley !

false.

Middle finger boy is back. 

So here's a question:

Daniel Norris, Burrows, and Hill for Julio Teheran. Who says no?

Second question: What does it take to turn that no into a yes? Jiminez?

8 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

So here's a question:

Personally I say no.  I don't include Norris.  I definitely don't include Jiminez in the deal.  I'd add Turnball and Boyd/Farmer, but have no interest in moving Norris or Jiminez.

3 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

Personally I say no.  I don't include Norris.  I definitely don't include Jiminez in the deal.  I'd add Turnball and Boyd/Farmer, but have no interest in moving Norris or Jiminez.

Teheran is who we hope Norris becomes. Norris is way more likely to flame out than Julio at this point, and Julio comes with 4.5 years of a very friendly contract. I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Teheran is who we hope Norris becomes. Norris is way more likely to flame out than Julio at this point, and Julio comes with 4.5 years of a very friendly contract. I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

While I agree that Teheran is a guy I would love to have and is the type of player I would trade for, trading Norris leaves the rotation in similar situation as now with Pelfry still locked into it.  It also leaves us void of a Lefthanded starter longer term.  If it's straight up, I make the trade obviously, but obviously Atlanta does not.  I don't do Norris/Burrows/Hill.

3 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

So here's a question:

Atlanta says no and its probably not that close. A JD for Teheran, possibly as a 3 way, is a bit intriguing though. 

33 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

While I agree that Teheran is a guy I would love to have and is the type of player I would trade for, trading Norris leaves the rotation in similar situation as now with Pelfry still locked into it.  It also leaves us void of a Lefthanded starter longer term.  If it's straight up, I make the trade obviously, but obviously Atlanta does not.  I don't do Norris/Burrows/Hill.

Its not similar at all. Its replacing a complete unknown who has barely taken the mound this year with a long term, TOR starter. Its a massive upgrade in both production and future certainty. Pelfrey is fine for a 5th starter. Norris/Burrows/Hill for Teheran would be highway robbery by us. Have you seen what starting pitching costs these days? 

57 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

But we'd be adding Tehran.... It's an improvement from the current situation. We can't get a guy like that for free. 

25 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Atlanta says no and its probably not that close. A JD for Teheran, possibly as a 3 way, is a bit intriguing though. 

I tend to agree with this, though I'm not sure ATL would want JD. 

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I tend to agree with this, though I'm not sure ATL would want JD. 

I bet Nastradamus meant Teheran to Detroit, MartinezJD to team X, prospects from team X & maybe Detroit to Atlanta.

That seems intriguing to me.

18 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I bet Nastradamus meant Teheran to Detroit, MartinezJD to team X, prospects from team X & maybe Detroit to Atlanta.

That seems intriguing to me.

Yes

It sue would be nice to trade for Teheran. I actually don't think a trade involving Norris and burrows and hill would be shot down so quickly by atl. The teams are different positions, so that's a deal that could work for both parties. Another team might offer more, but maybe not.

I'm in favor of any trade where the Tigers acquire good players, preferably in exchange for bad players

• Like 1

Here's my next suggestion:

Trade a headache for a headache?

Justin Upton for Yasiel Puig?

Who says no? What does it take to turn a no into a yes?

11 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

I wouldn't trade Jiminez either. I threw that out there in question form to see what everyone's opinions are...

I'm iffy on Norris, but that's what it would take to get Teheran. And if we're looking at being competitive the next 2.5 years (this year and the next two), Teheran is the sure thing, and probably someone who blossoms into a "true ace". There's definitely some uncertainty with Norris, and yes, we lose our top LH'er... but I wouldn't pass up a trade like this.

Hill is the guy who is changeable IMO. If they asked for Gerber, or Kade S., or any of a number of other prospects I'd be OK with changing that part of the deal.

IMO, Jiminez has major upside and is too close to helping our team right now, and we are in win-now mode, that I would refuse the deal at including him. I think replacing Hill with Stewart is giving too much also.

So... Norris, 1 of Alexander/ Turnbull/ Burrows, and 1 of Gerber/ Hill/ Scivique/ etc... excluding Jiminez and Stewart (and AAA and above guys, so that means excluding also Moya and Jones...), for Tejeran. 

I would do that.

Next I would talk Dodgers into giving up problem-child Puig (they're talking about moving him now: uncertain as to how serious) for our problem-hitter Upton.

And the Yankees into taking Moya, Rondon, and ??? for Andrew Miller.

4 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

You can't be serious with this. 

13 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Next I would talk Dodgers into giving up problem-child Puig (they're talking about moving him now: uncertain as to how serious) for our problem-hitter Upton.

I'm not so sure about swapping Upton for Puig.  The contract exchange is nice.  I guess you could make a case that maybe Puig just needs a different environment and could flourish.  I am hoping Upton opts out after his two seasons.  But I don't know if that's a deal that is likely nor that I'd pull the trigger on it.

The Yankees have an interesting situation brewing.  Steinbrenner and Levine are in for the playoffs.  Cashman wants to sell for the the rebuild.  It'll be interesting to see which side wins out.

I would prefer to ride things out with Upton.  I would love to unload some other big contracts of veterans who are in their 30's and could see big drop offs soon but Upton is likely to bounce back next year and should be able to give us strong production for most of the remainder of his contract.  He is not the first player to sign a big contract and then struggle to reach expectations the following year.  

On July 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Shelton said:

It sue would be nice to trade for Teheran. I actually don't think a trade involving Norris and burrows and hill would be shot down so quickly by atl. The teams are different positions, so that's a deal that could work for both parties. Another team might offer more, but maybe not.

Norris is the centerpiece of that trade and I think a lot of shine has wore of him now since he was a top prospect going into last season.  If Teheran were a free agent after next season, then maybe the Braves think about it but I don't think it is a consideration for them with Teheran locked up long term.  

Hypothetical... but if the Tigers were to sell, JV to Boston seems like a fit to me. DD would love to have him, would gladly take on the remaining 3 years, even above luxury tax, and JV just might accept that trade. Maybe with the Tigers eating a portion of it, but I don't think it'd have to be much.