Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

What to do with Anthony Gose........

What to do with Anthony Gose?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Tigers do with Gose?

• Release Him
    • Demote him to Erie
    • Suspend him for at least a week
    • Forgive him and just bring him back

Just now, Edman85 said:

Ausmus's quote somewhat undermines Lloyd, which is interesting given the rumors that Lloyd may have been hired as a replacement.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I just can't

5 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'm not absolving Gose of being in the wrong here, because there is no excuse for the way he's acted.

That said, Lloyd's ineptitude in on display here for us all to see.

--Did we see back-to-back disciplinary stuff like this happen (throwing this in with the Jones benching) with Larry Parrish?  Lloyd, a manager at two MLB stops, really can't control his players any better than this?

--Lloyd is a former MLB batting coach, so why is Gose hitting AAA pitching worse than he has hit any level of pitching in his professional career?

--For that matter, why is Collins struggling so badly as well for the aforementioned reasons?  LLoyd was given, essentially, a AAAA roster this season and he apparently is failing to manage his outfielders. 

Leyland's boys--Lamont and McClendon--really should be in the rearview mirror at this point.  Avila needs to make the big boy decision here and put his entire signature on the system.

Really nice post. Well done.

Lloyd pinch hit for Gose in the third inning and the guy went ballistic. Does this lend credence to Brad's comment regarding not pinch hitting Moya for Aviles in the 6th inning ("I would never pinch hit in the sixth inning.")?

2 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'm not absolving Gose of being in the wrong here, because there is no excuse for the way he's acted.

That said, Lloyd's ineptitude in on display here for us all to see.

--Did we see back-to-back disciplinary stuff like this happen (throwing this in with the Jones benching) with Larry Parrish?  Lloyd, a manager at two MLB stops, really can't control his players any better than this?

--Lloyd is a former MLB batting coach, so why is Gose hitting AAA pitching worse than he has hit any level of pitching in his professional career?

--For that matter, why is Collins struggling so badly as well for the aforementioned reasons?  LLoyd was given, essentially, a AAAA roster this season and he apparently is failing to manage his outfielders. 

Leyland's boys--Lamont and McClendon--really should be in the rearview mirror at this point.  Avila needs to make the big boy decision here and put his entire signature on the system.

I have a hard time seeing any of this as Lloyd's fault. This stuff happens on all teams. 

Moya excelled under Lloyd. Are to just ignore that because two bad baseball players (collins, gose) are doing terrible? Hicks, McGehee, Huffman, McVanee all also hitter better than expected. Stupid Lloyd. 

Gose isn't hitting because he's terrible. The same reason he didn't hit for the Tigers. 

Just read this, "David Littlefield, vice president of player development for the Detroit Tigers, told the Free Press in a phone interview this morning that he had tried calling the Triple-A Toledo outfielder, but had not spoken to him one day after a dugout tiff with manager Lloyd McClendon."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/07/10/detroit-tigers-anthony-gose-lloyd-mcclendon/86919086/

No call no show? He's really putting Avila in the worst situation here. Either Avila backs him and allows him back with AAA, he apologizes, or he's released. All scenarios Lloyd doesn't look great here...

41 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I have a hard time seeing any of this as Lloyd's fault. This stuff happens on all teams. 

Moya excelled under Lloyd. Are to just ignore that because two bad baseball players (collins, gose) are doing terrible? Hicks, McGehee, Huffman, McVanee all also hitter better than expected. Stupid Lloyd. 

Gose isn't hitting because he's terrible. The same reason he didn't hit for the Tigers. 

Gose and Collins have never hit this bad at any MiLB level, and Moya is just realizing his potential as the former top prospect in our system.  McGehee has been a MLB starter that has carried an OPS of about .820 over two seasons and over 1000 PA.  He better be able to hit AAA pitching, even at almost 34.  McVaney hit real well at Erie and is 26 now, so while he's overperforming now it isn't like he's never hit.

Oh yeah, and Jones isn't hitting, either, so that makes three OF at Toledo not hitting. 

19 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Gose and Collins have never hit this bad at any MiLB level, and Moya is just realizing his potential as the former top prospect in our system.  McGehee has been a MLB starter that has carried an OPS of about .820 over two seasons and over 1000 PA.  He better be able to hit AAA pitching, even at almost 34.  McVaney hit real well at Erie and is 26 now, so while he's overperforming now it isn't like he's never hit.

Oh yeah, and Jones isn't hitting, either, so that makes three OF at Toledo not hitting. 

I'm going to assume you just don't follow the minor leagues. This happens all the time. 

18 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm going to assume you just don't follow the minor leagues. This happens all the time. 

Assumptions are dangerous.  We can agree to disagree here.

I hate to assign blame to either side without knowing exactly what went on, but my uneducated guess is that Gose was given the rest of Saturday off to cool off and perhaps the Hens were expecting him back on Sunday.

I don't think it's fair to assign blame onto McClendon for Gose's dismal 2016.  Same thing with Collins or whomever else.  Quite frankly, I think it shows how little thought some people put into the situation.  Maybe these guys just suck and their performance is more about them then management?  Sometimes that actually is the case.

They can probably try to trade him, but what are they going to get back for him?  <sarcasm alert> Hey, go ahead, try to package him with Lowe, Collins, and Aviles.  Maybe they can get some starting pitcher depth. <sarcasm alert>

It's unclear exactly what happened the day Gose was sent packing. Obviously something had to happen to set him off. Coupled with the benching of Jacoby, maybe Lloyd was in a mood to "teach some lessons" and provoked Gose in the first place, or dressed him down for the earlier miscue in the field between him and Jacoby.

Gose mouthing off in return probably earned him his ticket home for the day. For all we know, Lloyd went overboard and Gose's reaction was "I don't need this ****" ahead of a long break coming up. If you don't want me here for the rest of the first game or the second game that night, why do you want me here on Sunday?

It's not very professional, but neither is benching a guy for not hustling on a pop up, or doing whatever it was that set off Gose (which I am speculating on; Gose could have also started some BS in the dugout that got him pulled from the game).

I guess I have a bit of problem deferring to Lloyd or any other manager for their "discipline" sometimes. I think too often they are trying to puff out their chest and teach a lesson, when the lesson could also be taught by having a civil conversation.

Sitting Bryce Harper for lack of hustle was also something I would disagree with.

What's the value in busting *** down the line on a pop up. That lack of hustle happens all the time.

They are not going to release him from his contract. If they did that anyone that wanted out would just tell the manager to f-off an still get paid. They will suspend him and/or put him on restricted list. I'm pretty sure the restricted list is for players that can't perform due to their own actions.

7 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Ausmus's quote somewhat undermines Lloyd, which is interesting given the rumors that Lloyd may have been hired as a replacement.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I tend more toward thinking that Lloyd was a loyalty hire - that it was a matter of giving a guy who had worked hard for the organization somewhere to keep his powder dry waiting for another shot from another team. I believe Lloyd said when he took the job he was grateful because he wants another shot and  people stop thinking about you as soon as you are out of the game. To me it's more likely that if they actually thought he was any kind of good match for the Tigers he'd already have the job.

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

It's unclear exactly what happened the day Gose was sent packing. Obviously something had to happen to set him off. Coupled with the benching of Jacoby, maybe Lloyd was in a mood to "teach some lessons" and provoked Gose in the first place, or dressed him down for the earlier miscue in the field between him and Jacoby.

Gose mouthing off in return probably earned him his ticket home for the day. For all we know, Lloyd went overboard and Gose's reaction was "I don't need this ****" ahead of a long break coming up. If you don't want me here for the rest of the first game or the second game that night, why do you want me here on Sunday?

It's not very professional, but neither is benching a guy for not hustling on a pop up, or doing whatever it was that set off Gose (which I am speculating on; Gose could have also started some BS in the dugout that got him pulled from the game).

I guess I have a bit of problem deferring to Lloyd or any other manager for their "discipline" sometimes. I think too often they are trying to puff out their chest and teach a lesson, when the lesson could also be taught by having a civil conversation.

It is also possible that the civil conversations have been had.  Or maybe they have not, I don't know.  I do agree that pulling someone off to the side to remind them to hustle and/or play professionally and/or pay attention to small details of the game (stuff of that nature) is probably better than benching for a first time offense.  I honestly don't know if this has been bubbling up, or if previous conversations have fallen on deaf ears, or what the specific case is.

To your previous points in earlier posts, sure, it has to be demeaning to be demoted to AAA and then have a futile season once down there.  It sure does have to suck.  But there's only one good way out of that situation, and he isn't putting up the numbers that suggest he is ready to be back in Detroit.

I do find it odd that Gose was on McCann's side of the Hustlegate deal with Iglesias last season and now he is being benched for lack of hustle.

Furthermore, Anthony Gose is actually hitting worse in AAA than he was in Detroit.  He isn't really in position of power to be taking plays off of half assing his way around a diamond when he is hitting a ripe ol' .185.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Furthermore, Anthony Gose is actually hitting worse in AAA than he was in Detroit.  He isn't really in position of power to be taking plays off of half assing his way around a diamond when he is hitting a ripe ol' .185.

you have to run out everything - errors do happen. Now I'm not very upset if a guy doesn't run *hard* on a routine grounder, because he will reach on most errors even if he's only jogging and throws out of play get the extra base anyway.  Pop-ups you always want go get down there on a reasonable run as there is always the possibility of an extra base on a screw-up

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I do find it odd that Gose was on McCann's side of the Hustlegate deal with Iglesias last season and now he is being benched for lack of hustle.

Gose and McCann are redneck BFF's. They hunt and fish and go to church together. 

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

actually I can forgive not running hard on a routine ground ball, because if an error is made in most cases you don't need to run hard to still be safe, but a pop up, running hard may get you an extra base when an error is made, and errors do happen - guys get twisted around on pop-ups with some regularity, so not running out a pop-up would be a big deal with me if I were a manager.

Yup. I'm in disagreement with Shelton here. Not even going to take the "you're being paid a lot of money to play a game" route, but they're all playing for a common goal, to win a game. It shouldn't be too much to ask to run the 3 or 4 times you make contact with a baseball per game. Mistakes happen. All the time. Being that lazy shouldn't really be as accepted as it is. 

Do we know why he was benched?  If I had a wild guess, it would be he blew off a sign from a coach or the bench.  I remember Chad Curtis doing that with Sparky once.........look where he is now.......always listen to your manager, if you don't you could end up like Chad............Don't be like Chad.    

I don't know, to me I would guess anyone of us that works for someone - if we got in a screaming match with our boss we'd probably be fired or severely disciplined, but to get in a screaming match, empty out your stuff and not show up with no call?   Yeah, that gets us fired.   Now, I know baseball is not the real world for most major leaguers, but it is for someone with Gose's stature. 

As far as the disappointing results for Gose and Collins - instead of saying its coaching, maybe we should look a little deeper into the emotional crash of starting the year as a major league player and ending up a part timer at AAA.    It's got to have an impact.    

I know you are joking, but Chad's issues now have exactly zero to do with blowing off a sign or not listening to coach, and it really isn't that funny to be frank.

I think most employees would get fired for getting into a screaming match, but most employees are easily replaceable.  Major leaguers as a group are not easily replaceable.

I would say employees who are not easily replaceable in most fields can get away with getting into a screaming match with their boss and could possibly get away with going home for a day or two, depending on the specifics.  I'd guess a hard to replace employee would get fired over 90% of the time in that circumstance, though.

11 hours ago, Stanley68 said:

They are not going to release him from his contract. If they did that anyone that wanted out would just tell the manager to f-off an still get paid. They will suspend him and/or put him on restricted list. I'm pretty sure the restricted list is for players that can't perform due to their own actions.

That sounds fair.

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

The lack of hustle benching was for jones, not Gose.

they say Pot doesn't....  oh, never mind. 

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

The lack of hustle benching was for jones, not Gose.

Actually it sounds like it all started in the top of the 1st inning when Gose should have gotten an OF Fly that was closer to him, but didn't really try and Jones ended up coming closer to the ball and became a leadoff triple.

Actually it sounds like it all started in the top of the 1st inning when Gose should have gotten an OF Fly that was closer to him, but didn't really try and Jones ended up coming closer to the ball and became a leadoff triple.

Yeah, that was the defensive miscue I was referencing in an earlier post.

I don't know if he Gose didn't really try for the ball. I only know that the ball fell between them and it should have been caught. There are a lot of reasons that could have happened.