Motor City Sonics

Should Kenny Holland be fired (Post Free Agent edition)

Should Kenny Holland be fired ?(Post - Free Agent Edition).   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kenny Holland be fired ? (Post - Free Agent Edition)

• Yes
    • No
    • I just don't care anymore

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

.............and Steve Yzerman continues to make brilliant moves in Tampa Bay.     Wow, did we back the wrong horse. 

I agree with you, our owner is terrible.

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I agree with you, our owner is terrible.

Not terrible, just maybe a little too loyal at times.    Holland has gone full Joe Dumars.  

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Not terrible, just maybe a little too loyal at times.    Holland has gone full Joe Dumars.  

Is that similar to going full retard?

Holland either benefitted from Devellano's decisions,  had the rest of the league catch on to what made him successful or has just lost his touch.     Maybe a combination of all 3 collecting at once.  

Dumars seemed to be more lucky than good when it came to trading Grant Hill.   If Hill hadn't made it clear he wanted out, they may have never dealt him.  Eyeing the influence Ben Wallace would have was a great move by Dumars.   But I can't say it was just luck - he did have the brains to trade Stackhouse for Hamilton - and then go get Chauncey and Rasheed (who was so 'poisonous' in Portland).   But then he started to make some moves that seemed desperate.   Trading Chauncey and his diminishing returns for a half-absent malcontent really hurt the team chemistry.  They would have been better off keeping an aging Chauncey.   But then he started keeping the rest of the old players and didn't move on fast enough.      It feels like Holland is doing that.     We want to see the kids, but the Wings won't let go of the playoff streak.  I guess those 2 first round home games make a lot of money....

58 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Holland either benefitted from Devellano's decisions,  had the rest of the league catch on to what made him successful or has just lost his touch.     Maybe a combination of all 3 collecting at once.  

Dumars seemed to be more lucky than good when it came to trading Grant Hill.   If Hill hadn't made it clear he wanted out, they may have never dealt him.  Eyeing the influence Ben Wallace would have was a great move by Dumars.   But I can't say it was just luck - he did have the brains to trade Stackhouse for Hamilton - and then go get Chauncey and Rasheed (who was so 'poisonous' in Portland).   But then he started to make some moves that seemed desperate.   Trading Chauncey and his diminishing returns for a half-absent malcontent really hurt the team chemistry.  They would have been better off keeping an aging Chauncey.   But then he started keeping the rest of the old players and didn't move on fast enough.      It feels like Holland is doing that.     We want to see the kids, but the Wings won't let go of the playoff streak.  I guess those 2 first round home games make a lot of money....

I think its hard to build a title team, with 5 non superstars, and be lucky. Not to mention those teams had pretty good benches. Joe also continued to draft quite well(his draft picks got like 300 million dollars last year). The Chauncey trade and his 2 major forays into free agency, plus Darko, were incredibly disastrous though and overcame any good he did. Point being, he clearly had an eye for talent, but he also had too much of an ability to be stricken by certain types of players, causing him to not see their major flaws. 

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

For those of you who voted no in the poll above, what is the criteria needed in your mind to justify a firing?

Hard to say for me. I wouldn't be mad at a firing, but I'm curious how this year goes. 

If we make the playoffs and keep our marketing gimmick known as "The Streak ©™" I would be very surprised. Barring Mike Green playing out of his mind and Brendan Smith stepping up and becoming something he's never been in his career, this defense is going to be a certified dumpster fire. I just don't see how the marketing gimmick stays alive with the defense this team currently has.

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

With Mr. I gone hopefully Chris Illitch is paying attention and cares about the future of this franchise and fires Kenny.

I think Mr. I's passing may have saved Jeff Blashill's job.   I don't think the team would fire him during this particular moment.  I think if nothing had happened last Friday - Blashill might be out of a job right now.   

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Mr. I's passing may have saved Jeff Blashill's job.   I don't think the team would fire him during this particular moment.  I think if nothing had happened last Friday - Blashill might be out of a job right now.   

If Kenny is truly in charge doesn't he get to make that call?

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Holland's status is the question. Blashill will be gone as a matter of course when Kenny is sacked.

But this could go either way. It may only have been Mike's infirmity saving Holland's job.  We don't know how engaged Mike was been in recent weeks/months or how much Chris may have held off pushing any changes he might have in mind because he didn't want to rattle his father's comfort level at the end. It's not unusual for the new king to make changes after a reasonable time period mourning the old king. We just don't know.

But it doesn't seem like there is much you can do with the Wings right now. Selling at the deadline for all the young talent and/or picks you can amass is logical, but do you want Kenny leading that effort if you don't trust him any more? Yet a new GM probably wouldn't be up to speed on the team and system fast enough to do it even if you fired Kenny today.

Does the team want turmoil going into the new arena? I would think they wouldn't fire Kenny until after they are moved and settled into the LCA.

I think we may be overstating the new arena effect. The team's crap, people will go to the new arena no matter what between October and New Year's to get their first look at it,  after that it's business as usual, turmoil isn't going to make that better or worse.

No use firing Blashill now.  26 games to go, 9 points and 8 teams between the Wings and a playoff spot.

If the Wings went 10-0-0 under a new coach that would only put them on the playoff bubble fringe at best with only 16 games to go.

The Wings need at least 39 points in 26 games. That's 123 point-pace, President's Trophy-level play. No way.

Chris Illitch needs to take him out to the woods and have him look at the flowers     

Not only am I believing that his time has passed him by - I am thinking that he never was a good GM and that Jimmy D was the real brains behind the whole thing.    

Enough on the Salary Cap.  All 30 teams have the same Salary Cap and it's been in place long enough where the previous structure would be tied up by it. 

On 2/15/2017 at 4:26 PM, lordstanley said:

I think we may be overstating the new arena effect. 

yeah - I don't think avoiding chaos moving up Woodward is all all that dependent on a legacy GM being in place or not.

The novelty of a new stadium will wear out quickly -- especially since this will be our 3rd new stadium in 18 years.

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Holland to Toronto Yzerman to Red Wings make it happen DD!

Don't I wish.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

The novelty of a new stadium will wear out quickly -- especially since this will be our 3rd new stadium in 18 years.

Why do you hate America?

I believe that Holland was under a win at any cost edict from Mr I and can now do what he needs to do.