PuNk42AE

6/30/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays - 7:10 PM

I turned the game off after the 8th.  Watched the second to last episode of 11.22.63 and when that was over turned the TV off to go to bed.  I checked my phone real quick to see what the final score was and could not believe it!  Missed it all.  Got up this morning at 7:30 and turned on FoxSports because they always replay the game at that time.....it was the top of 9th and we had already scored all the runs and I got to see the last 2 outs of the inning!

LOL

Unreal!  Congrats to those who watched the whole thing.  You got to see a pretty historic game.  Not many teams come back after being down 5 in the 9th.

Didn't the Tigers win their inaugural game in 1901 over the Milwaukee Brewers by coming from behind in the 9th by about 362 runs?  I thought I have heard about this lore, but cannot find a box/line score for it.

9 hours ago, Deadshot said:

And since we're piling on about the Trop, I want to concede that the stadium is my second favorite in MLB. First place is a tie between every other stadium (ok, I stole/modified that from Bobby the Brain Heenan....)

Bobby the Brain, ha ha.  A couple of weeks ago one of my kids (he's 32) went to a games/action figures show in Toronto and the live celebrity was The Mouth of the South, Colonel Jimmy Hart.

48 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Didn't the Tigers win their inaugural game in 1901 over the Milwaukee Brewers by coming from behind in the 9th by about 362 runs?  I thought I have heard about this lore, but cannot find a box/line score for it.

10 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win 14-13.

I have attached scans from the game account from the Free Press.

DFP19010426 (1).pdf

• Like 2

Bobby the Brain just showed up on Twitter too. Pretty decent comeback, but I'm still not convinced that the players are trying hard enough.

I watched the first eight innings on through FireTV on the Tigers broadcast. Left the room for a minute, my wife had turned something else on and she put the game back on, but this time on the Rays' broadcast. Watched the ninth inning on that broadcast, and clearly that was the difference. Sorry that I didn't switch over sooner. Could have saved all of us the drama.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

A while ago I was trying to explain Exhibition stadium to a coworker.  He is a 31 year old Reds' fan, didn't have much exposure to seeing it on TV nor has he seen many photos f it to do it justice.  But he couldn't comprehend the lack of retractable stands for a dual football/baseball stadium.  He was lost when I described vehicles sometimes parked on the astroturf behind the outfield wall, out of range on a good fly, but still within range of a couple of bounces.

So then I pulled up the grainy video of the 1st game ever played there.  It had just snowed, so that was being cleared off of the field.  The visiting White Sox had the navy oants & collared jersey shirts.  And then, of course, the different hair styles and the back drop of the late 70s and I thought the kid's head was going to spin off of his head trying to make sense of what he was looking at.

And don't forget the group of bagpipers marching back and forth in front of the outfield fence moments before the first pitch of that game.

I feel your pain.  I left for 2 weeks' vacation in early May when they were 14 and 10, and when I got back they were 15 and 21.

• Like 1