thefunk

2016 MICHIGAN FOOTBALL

Without knowing whose going to be under center on Saturday's and what they will actually give us, it is impossible to predict a Michigan record. Will it be Wilton Speight, Shane Morris, someone else? This year could swing either way to me. It could be a fantastic season where Michigan takes a big step forward and goes 10-2 or has a train wreck at the QB position and finishes with 4-5 loses on the season. Really a hard one to predict.

BTW, how did Michigan end up with so many home games this season?

I wasn't all that confident in Jake Rudock last year until half way thru the season, so I think QB will be fine eventually.  My guess is either O'Korn or Speight will settle in once the Big 10 season starts.

I like all the home games, but the 3 toughest games on our schedule are all on the road.  

I think the positive vibes regarding the season (even though we don't have a quarterback) come from two things: 1. The defense is predicted to keep us in most games, no matter who is under center. 2. Harbaugh has an ok track record with QBs and low expectations.  I personally agree with those that believe O'Korn will be the #1, with Speight as a competent back up. 

13-0, big ten champs.  The Michigan State game isn't even close, and we win a crazy one down in Columbus.  

I think this year he will be red shirted, but the rules regarding those are so convoluted I won't make a guess as when when it'll happen.

Jabrill switching to LB in this newish defensive scheme has really changed the outlook of this team, perhaps even this year.  IF the defense can live up to the hype, look out.  This team could do real damage.

And finally for those of us who have a little more time on our hands...

This is an impressive, time intensive task.

Obviously the right decision.  Someone on twitter pointed out that it's looking like away to Notre Dame will be on the same years as away to OSU and the Lil' Dantonios.  Not that it'll matter, just weird.

and 9 is probably setting it low. 

97.1 tweeted today that Michigan has the most bets on them to win the National title. Interesting. 

There are definitely reasons for optimism for this upcoming year. The defense is being projected as one of the best in the country. The offensive line as well. You can win a lot of games with talent in those spots.

We know QB is still a question mark, but that can be said of a lot of teams every year, including ones that are seen as in the mix for a championship. It's easy to have faith in the position with harbaugh around and his track record with quarterbacks.

And for the most part, the schedule is just very tough. And even with an ugly early season loss, they would still make it in as a 12-1 big ten champ.

So the question really becomes whether or not you think M can beat both OSU and MSU on the road. That's tougher to do than at home, of course, but I also think people put too much stock on home/road. Road game or not, the better team usually wins.

Is Michigan better than OSU? Are they better than MSU? I don't know. But I can see a very reasonable argument that they are.

Yah, hard to see the defense being anything but filthy. I'm excited for Brown as DC. The DL is ridiculously deep and talented and Peppers and Lewis alone makes the back 7 exciting. There's depth beyond them though. 

Offensively, we do have question marks. I tend not to worry about QB due to the aforementioned Harbaugh effect combined with what I believe to be sufficient(though not elite) talent at the position. RB is  little more dicey, but there is upside. Smith and Johnson have to stay healthy and we'll see if Walker can make an impact as a freshman. WR,TE and OL should be standout positions that we don't have to worry about much at all. 

Beating both MSU and OSU on the road is doable, but certainly very tough. I think we are more talented than MSU right now(not by a lot necessarily) but not sure on Ohio St just yet. They took a lot of losses to the draft, but they tend to be loaded with next men up. 

This is the most complete team I've seen Michigan field since 2006--the juggernaut derailed by a controversial call against O$U.

The QB position is a dogfight--I love it!  Speight has the huge arm, O'Korn is the experienced surgeon (who can also chuck it, just not like Wilt).  O'Korn will be given every chance to win the spot, but it is impossible to underestimate Wilt's experience in Harbaugh's system and the fact that he played live snaps last season.  O'Korn winning the spot would be great for recruiting, because it would give us a new tradition of STA starting QB.  STA and IMG alone could stock Michigan with enough FL talent to play with anyone in the SEC, any year, if true pipelines are established.

LB is the only position I worry about on this team, as I see sufficient-to-outstanding depth and talent everywhere else.  That said, the young LBs we have coming in from FL can play in spite of lacking ideal B1G size. I hope they don't have to play this year and can be RS.  It definitely helps the position that Peppers will be spending quite a bit of time in the box this year.  I hate to make such lofty comparisons, but I see a lot of Derrick Brooks in this kid.

I'm a fan of our RB situation, lots of guys with 100 yard games under their belts and of course the blue chipper in Walker.  Watching Smith do whatever he wanted to against a decent FL defense on NYD was a revelation, and Johnson filled in the blanks perfectly.  Isaac offer the kind of upside we've been promised in the past by stud athletes like Max Martin, Mike Cox and Justin Fargas.  As impossible as it is to keep three backs happy all at once, Harbaugh will need all three to come up big at one time or another.  I hate losing Houma, but loved that he got overdue playing time his senior year.

WR depth would worry me a bit more if Harbaugh were less TE-dependent.  I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the freshmen step in at some point this year and answer the bell in a time of year.  That guy could be anyone, but I really like Johnson's route-running from his HS tape--smooth, sneaky fast like Manningham.

One underrated aspect of Michgan this season is special teams.  Kenny Allen's emergence was a big deal last year, and it will continue to be a big deal this year.  It is possible he will relinquish KO duties this season to Nordin just to give him a break.  Nordin may very well have a better leg than Allen, so letting him blast away off the tee this year not only makes the team better but it gives him game experience when he takes over the kicking job in '17.  Not sure who will handle return duties, but it seems like Chesson and Peppers may be too valuable to be used in that capacity going forward.  Maybe not.  At any rate, even if it is one of the freshmen or Isaac on returns I'm probably OK with it.

Nine wins would be a failure in the eyes of many Michigan fans, and it would certainly be a failure in Harbaugh's eyes.  I don't think MSU has the tools to win more than eight games this year.  Heavy losses to the OL, WR spots and Cook is gone.  They will struggle to move the ball, let alone on Michigan.

OSU is still OSU--gotta beat the champ to be the champ.  They lost some talent as well, and it appears they heir apparent at RB is in real trouble.  If they don't have a quality feature back they are going to be beatable.  That said, their line can make a run-of-the-mill four-star back look pretty good most years.  Beatable team, but they won't roll over on Urban's watch.

I can't wait to see it all happen.

MSU loses Conor Cook, so I think UM can win in East Lansing.  I'm not ready to say they'll beat the Buckeyes.  They were soundly drubbed last year, & while I think the defense will be better, until they show it on the field I'm not making any predictions.

I uber as a 2nd job, and today I went after it really hard, since the plant is down, and I don't want to claim unemployment.  It took me from the eastside to Ann Arbor today, when one of my riders shows up as "Jon".  I pick him up, and notice he's a big guy.  At the end of the ride, I asked him if he plays football, and he said yes.  I asked him if he was Jon Runyan Jr., and he was.  Looks just like his dad, and I told him that I would be following his career.

• Like 1

I would say it would be a pretty big disappointment if this team did not win at least 10 games, and that's regardless of who they have at QB. It's a really easy schedule and there's no reason (barring a ton of injuries of course) that they shouldn't have one of the best defenses in the country

Even 10 wins would arguably be disappointing given the schedule, assuming the losses are to MSU and osu.

That would be yet another year without a win in an important game. It's going on 13 years since they won an important game.

If they aren't playing for a berth in the big ten championship game when they go Columbus, it will be a disappointing season.

The thing I'm most interested in going into this season is how we do with the new defensive coordinator.

Seeing us get shredded yet again by spread offenses in the Indiana and Ohio state games last year was pretty frustrating.

Yah, there were shades of Lloyd Carr in those games. Brown's blitzing could help that. Peppers at LB is key there too

On 8/9/2016 at 1:09 PM, Nastradamus said:

Yah, there were shades of Lloyd Carr in those games. Brown's blitzing could help that. Peppers at LB is key there too

Shades of Lloyd Carr? You mean going to a prevent defense in the second half when you have a lead and watching said lead wither away?