RedRamage

IF the Tigers are buyers, who would be available to trade?

I agree.  We don't have any glaring weaknesses, just inconsistent play.  I'd bring up Jiminez to pitch in July, and use the month to evaluate his ability to help the pen.  

We don't have any glaring weaknesses in our lineup and I think the days of us being willing or able to grab a starter like Sanchez or Price at the deadline, are over.

We might want to pay attention to any players that the Tigers might bring up for a game or two right before the deadline. It seems that they have a knack for showcasing these guys for a short time to give the other teams a major league look.  However, if other teams are looking for immediate major league help, I could see them interested in Gose, Collins, or Machado.     Much to popular belief, I think these guys with MLB experience do have some trade value.  

On 6/24/2016 at 0:22 PM, Who is the Drizzle? said:

They have guys that have been at Lakeland/WMI for most of the season that they could trade for some RP depth or a filler SP, if that's what they want.

Gerber Azocar Scvique Simcox Ravenelle all have some value I think and wouldn't kill the Tigers to deal.

I think they need a SP more tho, both short and medium term. You'd have to start thinking Stewart, Moya, Burrows, Moreno types if you start thinking a difference maker like Odorozzi, for example.

I would love to get Odorizzi for those guys.

26 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I would love to get Odorizzi for those guys.

You'd give up a 19 year old potential front line guy for Odorizzi? I'd say no. We need more of those type of guys in our system not fewer. 

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You'd give up a 19 year old potential front line guy for Odorizzi? I'd say no. We need more of those type of guys in our system not fewer. 

If everything works out he could be another Odorizzi!

yeah, it's not likely that a 19 year old pitcher will turn out to be as good as Odorizzi, who I think tends to get underrated.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, it's not likely that a 19 year old pitcher will turn out to be as good as Odorizzi, who I think tends to get underrated.  

Are we talking about the same 4.00 FIP guy? 

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

I don't think anyone was talking about him as an ace. I like him because he's young, healthy, relatively consistent, going to arb the next 3 years so he'll be under control in the window that we'll need him (but also getting more expensive for the Rays), is potentially available and won't cost elite prospects (which we don't have).

23 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I don't think anyone was talking about him as an ace. I like him because he's young, healthy, relatively consistent, going to arb the next 3 years so he'll be under control in the window that we'll need him (but also getting more expensive for the Rays), is potentially available and won't cost elite prospects (which we don't have).

Yes.

I've listened to the many groans over the years regarding the prospects we've traded away, and frankly I don't see how any of them are missed.

9 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I've listened to the mant groans over the yests regarding the prospects we've traded away, and frankly I don't see how any of them are missed.

I keep waiting for a shoe to drop and it hasn't yet. Even Smyly who begot (eventually) Norris who hasn't done a ton for us YET has an ERA closer to Pelfrey than one would believe.

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

DRA = 3.27  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

DRA = 3.27  

I probably wouldn't base my argument on a statistic that's only a year old. Also, I have no idea what the league average is. I'm also not sure what the underrated context is. He looks like a solid #3 starter it this point looking at everything else and that isn't all that bad. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

I probably wouldn't base my argument on a statistic that's only a year old. Also, I have no idea what the league average is. I'm also not sure what the underrated context is. He looks like a solid #3 starter it this point looking at everything else and that isn't all that bad. 

My point is that there is not one pitching stat on which you can base your argument.  You can't use FIP like it's wRC+. 

What is the likelihood that Burrows will be a solid #3 long term?

With the front line talent they have they should be contenders, Upton struggles so far this season notwithstanding.

8 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

With the front line talent they have they should be contenders, Upton struggles so far this season notwithstanding.

Yeah, I'm still operating on the assumption that JV, Fulmer, Znn, KRod, JWilson, Greene, Rondon, Ryan, Miggy, Ian, Nick, Maybin, JD, VMart are all at least average in their roles going forward. Or most of them will be, odds are a player or two will get cold. JUp seems to be there recently as well. McCann, Iggy and Norris should be above replacement but below average as a whole, but are cheap and should probably improve either this year or next. That leaves really 5th starter as something that is less than ideal from a roster construction stand point.

Hopefully not too many of these guys fall apart and that's good enough to win some games the next month or so.

They are sellers now. What can we get for Kinsler, JV, Krod and Miggy? Can they trade Upton and Zimmerman?

7 hours ago, tater6 said:

They are sellers now. What can we get for Kinsler, JV, Krod and Miggy? Can they trade Upton and Zimmerman?

Sure....let's trade them all.    Then, see how good we'll be in 4 or 5 years.        No, thank you.

7 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Sure....let's trade them all.    Then, see how good we'll be in 4 or 5 years.        No, thank you.

But the Twins have Byron Buxton!

I don't see us as a buyer or seller right now.  At this stage it seems like we will roll past the trade deadline, and if we are in it in mid-to-late August, take a crack at a supplemental player who has passed through waivers. 

We can't afford any trades for marquee players that cuold materially fix our inconsistent pitching.  So there's no purpose in pretending we are going to trade for those kind of pitchers at this point. We need to first see if JV and Zimmermann can get it going, and then see if Norris or someone else can add in with a good stretch. And then obviously we see if we can get Jiminez up and contributing sometime after the break. If that all comes together, then we can go get a helpful arm in August.  If it doesn't, then we won't.

8 hours ago, tater6 said:

They are sellers now. 

Very few teams are sellers at the end of June.  Especially teams with a .500 record who had projected to compete for the division.  

On 6/26/2016 at 10:22 AM, sabretooth said:

I've listened to the many groans over the years regarding the prospects we've traded away, and frankly I don't see how any of them are missed.

It'd be nice to have Suarez in the fold rather than Aviles.

6 hours ago, ballmich said:

Very few teams are sellers at the end of June.  Especially teams with a .500 record who had projected to compete for the division.  

Expectations of the division can be flushed away.  They have a chance at a wildcard, but I don't think a run at a wildcard means flipping prospects out for a quick fix.  So I don't think I see the Tigers doing much of anything externally.

Now if they were to make a type of deal like Texas did last season for Cole Hamels, I could see that as a possibility.  If they have a chance at someone that can help next season as well, I can see making a deal.  

16 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

They would probably be a better team if they did make these moves. If they could get one very good prospect for each player I mentioned and dump over $100 mil, they would have some young talent and money to work with. Right now they are middle of the pack team with a $200mil payroll and getting older.