Mr.TaterSalad

RIP "Mr. Hockey" Gordie Howe

WDIV Detroit: Hockey legend Gordie Howe dies at age 88

DETROIT - The legendary Detroit Red Wings player Gordie Howe has died. 

He was 88. 

Howe played more than 1,700 games in the NHL and scored more than 800 goals.  He is widely known simply as "Mr. Hockey."

In Detroit, he is a legend. He won the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings four times, won six Hart Trophies as the league's most valuable player, and won six Art Ross Trophies as the leading scorer during his time with Detroit between 1946 and 1971.

He still holds numerous team records.

Last year, Howe's family said he underwent stemcell treatment

RIP Mr. Hockey. You will be missed. We still watch the games waiting to see a "Gordie Howe Hat Trick." I'm sure that will be passed down to several generations....

Gordie was well before my time as I grew up in the Yzerman/Lidstrom/Avalanche Rivalry era. But every kid growing up who was a Red Wings fan, who was a hockey fan, knew who Gordie Howe was and knew of his greatness. Arguably one of if not the best player of his era.

As a side note, I remember when he joined the Vipers. Arguably the greatest player in Vipers history too.

And to think, his greatest achievement was dating edna krabappel.

51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Gordie was well before my time as I grew up in the Yzerman/Lidstrom/Avalanche Rivalry era. But every kid growing up who was a Red Wings fan, who was a hockey fan, knew who Gordie Howe was and knew of his greatness. Arguably one of if not the best player of his era.

As a side note, I remember when he joined the Vipers. Arguably the greatest player in Vipers history too.

Gordie and Rocky Colavito were my two childhood sports heroes. I had the amazing good fortune to attend a good number of Wings games as a  young but old enough to remember fan at the old Barn. Linsdey and Abel were already gone (well Abel was the coach) but I got to see the the Howe, Delvecchio, Ullman line play when they were still pretty good. Gordie was like an assassin on the ice - he was just so strong - he manhandled guys just when they weren't expecting it. Not really a dirty player for his era at all, but much more physically intimidating than I think people realize or that you'd ever pick up from his off ice personality.

He had the kind of physical dominance that Messier did, but he was much, much more subtle with it.

An acquaintance of mine is from Detroit and is a Boise State University professor. His dad was a bat boy for the Detroit Tigers in the 1950s.  He met all the players he was even given a baseball cap from Ted Williams after the tiger players egged him to do it saying "hey it's the kids birthday."When my acquaintance was a kid one of his dad's best friends would come over for dinner every couple months and he had to dress up and wear a white shirt and a tie for this guest. That guest was Gordie Howe. Great story but kind of sad, because the acquaintance hated his dad and could take a little pleasure in telling me the stories.  I cannot say that this guy is all that friendly himself. That's why he's merely "an acquaintance."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I had forgotten all about this until running across it on YouTube at lunch today . . .

they did a great job with a lot of those spots - I hadn't seen this one. I love Gordie's deadpan running commentary ending with "It was a respectful game".

And of course who can forget Gordie's most famous public comment - made about the Wings organization and their use of him as an 'assistant' after his initial retirement. Unfortunately it was long enough ago that the film may be lost by now, but during an interview with a local reporter, Gordie lamented that he was getting "the Mushroom Treatment" from the Wings management. "They keep me in the dark and then periodically shovel some **** at me"

The man didn't say all that much, but he could turn the occasional phrase.

I used to go to a lot of wings games in the late 80's/early 90's. When Bud Lynch would say that Gordie Howe was in attendance, he would get the loudest cheer of the night.

I would think he is the most beloved sport figure in Detroit history. People loved Kaline the ball player, but he is a humorless SOB in real life. Maybe Ernie too.

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Maybe if GM Sid Abel had listened to your dad or uncles and traded Gordie for picks after the Wings lost the 1966 Stanley Cup Final to Montreal, a proper rebuild would have been undertaken and the whole Darkness Under Harkness-Dead Wings era could have been avoided :) 

• Like 1

I don't know that there has ever been an athlete in any sport that treated fans better than Gordie Howe did.  He was an absolute gentlemen.    You never hear a negative story about him off the ice - because one probably doesn't exist.   And it was totally genuine.   He was a great hockey player and a better person.    Can't think of a better ambassador to name an international bridge after.   Wish he would have stuck around to see it built.    

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Maybe if GM Sid Abel had listened to your dad or uncles and traded Gordie for picks after the Wings lost the 1966 Stanley Cup Final to Montreal, a proper rebuild would have been undertaken and the whole Darkness Under Harkness-Dead Wings era could have been avoided :) 

Maybe so. :)

But they weren't operating under the salary cap back then and could have masked their deficiencies like Kenny did by signing high priced talent.

A little bit of trivia not well-known. Gordie had a chance to play a season for Toronto, as the Leafs were wooing him hard. Ultimately Gordie said no, as he felt it would be hard for him to accept being only the 4th best player on the team.*

*BTW, this was in 2006, when Gordie was 78.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk