Sign in to follow this  
plantcitytigersfan

Ben Verlander

In front of 149 fans at Historic Henley Field, Ben Verlander pitched the 8th inning last night. His first pitch was 88 and the second was 87. We don't have a visible radar gun at the field and I didn't want to bother the guys that were charting pitches after that. He seemed to have a clue what he was doing and was appeared to be trying to hit the corners. Brett Pirtle pitched the 9th inning. His first pitch was 83 and teh second was 80.  As for Jairo LaBourt, he usually ghas an inning hwere his command escapes him. Some times he gets out of it, sometimes he doesn't. Last night in the second inning he didn't get a couple of close calls and the ump got into his head. He walked six guys and at the end didn't have a clue where the ball was going, with a wild pitch being thrown behind the batter. Apparently Huppert told the relief pitcher, Taylor Hicks ( who was making his Flying Tiger debut) to throw strikes as the first batter hit a grand slam. 

Larry

2016 AAT A J Simcox

I wasn't at that game, kind of glad I missed it.  I saw Franciso Martinez come in to pitch at a similar situation game at Space Coast last year.  Anyone know why aren't they playing Verlander more?  He's appeared in less than half the games so far this year if you don't count coaching first base.

I don't think they consider him a prospect and would rather play Stewart, Kivett and Gerber. Last year Ben batted 313 in April, followed by 206 in May, 170 in June, 206 in July and 226 in August. That being said he plays good defense, looked pretty good at 1B the other night, and is a fan favorite. Based on what Salgado showed the other night, Ben could easily become our 5th OF

Larry

2016 AAT A J Simcox

I go to my first LFT game of the season last night and I get back-to-back-to-back home runs in the first and then Stewart robs a home run later in the game. Not bad. The bleachers and net are miserable though. I'm not a tall guy (5'10") and I still had to sit a little sideways so my knees wouldn't bump the back in front of me.

That's why I moved (6'03") to the front row. As Kyle stated, the first inning was pretty cool. Kade Scivicque was batting clean up and hit a two run home run. Mike Gerber was batting fifth and hit a line drive over the left-center (opposite field) fence. Joey Pankake was batting sixth and hit one of the longest home runs we have seen. The big debate was if it would have gone over the berm at Joker Marchant. Artie Lewicki has a breaking ball that has the biggest break I have seen in the last five years  (12 - 6 break) . Unfortunately, it breaks so much it is usually a ball. While Stewart is not smooth in LF he seems to make all the plays. Zac Shepherd is starting to show some power. Because of his size we forget that he is only 21. 

BTW  All the home runs were off Tyler Jay who was the # 6 pick overall in last years draft. 

Larry

2016 AAT A J Simcox

I see Lakeland's in the bottom of the 17th. Maybe we'll have both Verlander's pitching on the same night?