Motor City Sonics

Movies that you love that were not big hits

I read they used footage of the truck and car in an episode of The Incredible Hulk.  

Just found the episode online, kinda odd to see.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0610892/

Steven Spielberg was displeased to learn that Universal used footage from his movie _Duel (1971) (TV)_ in this episode. Unable to sue on the matter (due to the studio's ownership of both the film and Hulk series), he insisted that all his future contracts list a clause designed to protect his movies from being used as stock footage.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Quality is decent for You Tube.     (look how big everyone's cars were in 1971).  

Unless you owned a Pinto

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You wouldn't want someone driving up behind you in a Pinto. 

I was crazy and poor enough to own two

OMG, I thought I forgot about the Pinto. What an awful car.

I was an auto mechanic in the (early) 70s; they were an unsafe POS (not only for the gas tank thing).

Absence of Malice, a movie about how sloppy reporting can damage an ordinary citizen.

I don't know if this was a commercial success, but it didn't win any awards to my knowledge.

Somebody mentioned In Bruges—yes, go see that.

Some of my off the top of my head favorites include:

• Excalibur: I really dislike the fantasy genre, but I got into this movie because we got cable in 1981 and HBO and The Movie Channel played the shirt out of this movie. Super well done, and a surprising number of actors who became famous later appeared in it: Helen Mirren, Liam Nelson, Patrick Stewart, and Gabriel Byrne.
  • A Soldier’s Story: This came direct off the Broadway stage and is murder mystery couched in a great intersection of topics including World War II, baseball and Jim Crow. It was supposed to be a star vehicle for Howard Rollins, who was a bit wooden in it, but also included terrific early career appearances by Denzel Washington, Robert Townsend and David Alan Grier.
  • Life of Brian: Apologies to Holy Grail apologists, but this to me is the quintessential Monty Python movie because it levied the sharpest broadsides at organized religion and at society in general.
  • Fish Called Wanda: On the Python tip, this is probably one of my favorite movies of all-time and includes one of the greatest, funniest movie scenes ever filmed:

On 10/14/2017 at 12:19 PM, chasfh said:

Somebody mentioned In Bruges—yes, go see that.

Some of my off the top of my head favorites include:

• Excalibur: I really dislike the fantasy genre, but I got into this movie because we got cable in 1981 and HBO and The Movie Channel played the shirt out of this movie. Super well done, and a surprising number of actors who became famous later appeared in it: Helen Mirren, Liam Nelson, Patrick Stewart, and Gabriel Byrne.
  • A Soldier’s Story: This came direct off the Broadway stage and is murder mystery couched in a great intersection of topics including World War II, baseball and Jim Crow. It was supposed to be a star vehicle for Howard Rollins, who was a bit wooden in it, but also included terrific early career appearances by Denzel Washington, Robert Townsend and David Alan Grier.
  • Life of Brian: Apologies to Holy Grail apologists, but this to me is the quintessential Monty Python movie because it levied the sharpest broadsides at organized religion and at society in general.
  • Fish Called Wanda: On the Python tip, this is probably one of my favorite movies of all-time and includes one of the greatest, funniest movie scenes ever filmed:

The stuttering scene for John Cleese is trying to get the information out of Michael Palin - well, I always though the term laughing till you wet your pants was just a phrase.........I almost did and my sides hurt the next day I laughed so hard at that.   The one person I know that had a fairly severe stutter told me she was not offended by the scene, and it was really funny.    It would never make the film today. 

I will say A Fish called Wanda was well received overall and cleared over $60 M at the box office, which was pretty damned good for a non-action film released in the 80's.

I would agree with the idea that it seems to have faded from memory relative other reasonably successful films.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:11 PM, apabruce said:

Absence of Malice, a movie about how sloppy reporting can damage an ordinary citizen.

I don't know if this was a commercial success, but it didn't win any awards to my knowledge.

We watched this movie in an intro to mass comm class I had in HS.  Very powerful movie that I hope to-be journalists still are made to watch.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will say A Fish called Wanda was well received overall and cleared over $60 M at the box office, which was pretty good for a film released in the 80's.

I do agree with the idea that it is one of those movies that seems to have faded from memory.

I would like to watch it again to see how it has held up through time.  Seeing it in the theater back in the day, it was fantastic.

I have no idea how well known these are, probably barely at all for the first two, both Ken Loach films.

The wind that shakes the barley - Irish war of independence/civil war film. Won the Palme d'Or and is very well made.

You seem to be able to find full versions of it on The You Tube.

And then Land and Freedom - Loach's Spanish Civil War piece. Obviously hits my political spot nicely, but is very powerful, well made and clever as well. But made peanuts at the box office.

Not exactly a comedy, but a fantastic movie. In various languages by the way so seek out the English subtitles unless your Spanish or Catalan are good.

Does the Kite Runner count as not a big hit? That'd be my third choice.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Kite Runner's Box was $72 M in 2007, so inflation adjusted it earned less than A Fish called Wanda, FWIW.

I don't know whether that makes it big or not though! Fish called Wanda was, obviously, much bigger here so it's a tricky comparison.

Land and freedom made about 0.25 I think. I know that's small fry!

I think kite runner was kind of considered a box office flop. The book was such a big hit at the time that I assume the expectations were much higher. I don’t think the movie would be considered a hit.