Motor City Sonics

Movies that you love that were not big hits

There was a German movie called "The Wall" about a woman and her dog that becomes trapped in a small mountain town by an invisible barrier. Think "Under The Dome" type of barrier.

I really enjoyed the heck out of it. Very well done. I think it is still on Netflix.

Yes...subtitles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745686/

4 hours ago, Antrat said:

There was a German movie called "The Wall" about a woman and her dog that becomes trapped in a small mountain town by an invisible barrier. Think "Under The Dome" type of barrier.

I really enjoyed the heck out of it. Very well done. I think it is still on Netflix.

Yes...subtitles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745686/

that's the one with Bob Geldof, right?

22 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I struggled through most of Ice Harvest until the end of the movie, when the last scene gave me a sweet payoff for my struggles.  Cusack is like a box of chocolates, you just never know what you are going to get.

Speaking of Cusack, Grosse Pointe Blank is one of my all-time favorites and it definitely didn't get the box office love it should of.  Piven and Cusack's last hurrah before Piven actually started thinking he was Ari Gold.

Not a great movie, but I like Billy Bob and Cusack too much to not enjoy it at least a little. 

Grosse Pointe Blank is a classic. I find myself saying "I'm drawing a complete.....blank" the way he does quite often haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Not a great movie, but I like Billy Bob and Cusack too much to not enjoy it at least a little. 

Grosse Pointe Blank is a classic. I find myself saying "I'm drawing a complete.....blank" the way he does quite often haha

Those two were great in Pushing Tin.

Just watched Love & Mercy with my girl again tonight.  The story of Brian Wilson around the time of the Pet Sounds and Smile albums and then in the 80s when that nutty shrink had him all drugged up.   Two different actors played him, Paul Dano and John Cusack.    I thought Dano was brilliant in it.   The sound mixing in that movie was amazing, and after seeing it I listened to Pet Sounds like I never had before and was just floored by how incredible that album was.   There are a lot of good movies about musicians and to me this one was one of the better ones.  It wasn't as paint-by-numbers as some of the others, like "Ray".   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

That's on my must see list. I keep forgetting about it. Wilson was definitely a musical genius, even if I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan. 

Same reaction!  My husband just added it to our watch list on Amazon so we don't forget again.  

• Like 1

We watched a movie called The Girl With All The Gifts over the weekend. Based on a novel that was pretty huge a little while ago.

I had no idea this was a zombie movie. The first half is pretty damn intense and I was wondering why it wasn't a big hit. The zombies were the ferocious fast moving ones that are much more terrifying IMO.

But then came the second half of the movie. Shark was jumped. Then I understood why it did not do well at the box office.

EDIT: The movie gets 85% at Rotten Tomatoes. Go figure.

Rian Johnson, director of the upcoming new Star Wars movie, made a movie with Joseph Gordon levitt back in the day called Brick. I'm sure many have seen it. It was well regarded, winning an award at Sundance, but I don't think it had a lot financial success. 

I have not seen it in a long time but it was so good. Might need to find it again. 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Rian Johnson, director of the upcoming new Star Wars movie, made a movie with Joseph Gordon levitt back in the day called Brick. I'm sure many have seen it. It was well regarded, winning an award at Sundance, but I don't think it had a lot financial success. 

I have not seen it in a long time but it was so good. Might need to find it again. 

That was a really good movie. For me, I have a soft spot for submarine movies for some reason, so my list would include U571 and Below. U571 in particular I used all the time to show off my home theater setup. The depth charge scenes were great for that.

1 minute ago, Tigertown Rats said:

That was a really good movie. For me, I have a soft spot for submarine movies for some reason, so my list would include U571 and Below. U571 in particular I used all the time to show off my home theater setup. The depth charge scenes were great for that.

Dude, why have you held out on me?

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Dude, why have you held out on me?

What are you doing in a movie thread? :-)

I'll fire it up some Friday for you, although it's been out since 2000 and I only have it on DVD. Probably not as audio/visually impressive as it used to be. It'd be fine for you though...

Watched a movie on Netflix the other night called "These Final Hours" and thought it was surprisingly very good.

An asteroid has hit Earth in the North Atlantic and Australia has only hours before the big fire cloud of death gets to them.

Despite all that, the movie is basically about how a man tries to get a little girl to her father before the end of things.

I rarely choke up at movies but this one got to me.

I could think of worse ways to spend 90 minutes. Like watching five innings of Tiger baseball. Which also chokes me up.

36 minutes ago, Antrat said:

Watched a movie on Netflix the other night called "These Final Hours" and thought it was surprisingly very good.

An asteroid has hit Earth in the North Atlantic and Australia has only hours before the big fire cloud of death gets to them.

Despite all that, the movie is basically about how a man tries to get a little girl to her father before the end of things.

I rarely choke up at movies but this one got to me.

I could think of worse ways to spend 90 minutes. Like watching five innings of Tiger baseball. Which also chokes me up.

Very similar to On The Beach where a nuclear war has broken out and the last survivors are Australia/New Zealand and an American submarine is headed there.   

Nocturnal Animals....getting past the first 2 minutes was a chore, but overall I enjoyed the story.  It was enough to make my wife not sleep that night.  It is one of those movies that makes you think a little.  Not a lot, but a little and it it leaves you with a visceral reaction.  My favorite movies are those that have good shots...framing, color, composition etc.  This one had a few.

On 5/16/2016 at 0:14 PM, Antrat said:

I wouldn't mind a movie about a superhero that was addicted to crack and was into bestiality and tried to keep it secret from his adoring public.

This is not the political forum.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If you have Netflix and you were alive during the 80's, check out Sing Street.  And then come back here and thank me.

20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

p543_p_v8_aa.jpg

Great Great Movie.     Barely any dialogue.   Jaws in a Truck ? 

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

p543_p_v8_aa.jpg

I remember one very cold night years ago laying in bed, the 11 o'clock news got over, and a movie came on.  It was this one.  I couldn't turn it off.

Directed by Stephan Spielberg no less.

19 hours ago, screwball said:

I remember one very cold night years ago laying in bed, the 11 o'clock news got over, and a movie came on.  It was this one.  I couldn't turn it off.

And adapted from a story by the great Richard Matheson of I Am Legend fame.

20 hours ago, screwball said:

Yes, I believe his first full length movie - and it was a TV movie originally but after the success of Jaws they released it to theaters.