Zakk_Wylde

Broadcaster Question

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered already but I've been out of the loop for a while and only have been able to catch a couple games so far this year.  How come Mario and Dan have been reversing roles?

to put the fear of god into Mario so he knows not to ask for much money in his next contract renegotiation.   JK, I can't remember the reasoning given. 

To get people accustomed to the upcoming broadcast team changes as contracts expire. I think they'll keep Milquetoastio around because he's a company man but I think they're creatively avoiding the uproar of eliminating Rod Allen by the people who say they like Rod Allen and they like him because they're blissfully unaware of how terrible he is. They say they like him because he is the guy spoonfed to them in the booth so they think they should like him.

I too suspected that rotating around Kirk and Jack might be a way of phasing Rod out. But putting Mario on the radio and Dan on TV for a few games just confused me. And they both did a good job in their role reversal, but I just figured there was some reason for it.

So you are suspecting that the reason is just to distract the fans so that they don't notice Rod being phased out?

Do the radio or TV guys make more money?  I would assume the TV guys make more.  Jim is a radio guy, Dan talked a little too much for my liking on the TV broadcast, but I still like him a lot.  I like them as a team, but Jim is not a TV IMO.  Mario is alright and I am not a huge fan of Rod and could see them getting rid of him.  I would probably lean towards getting rid of him than keeping him.

I think the TV guys probably make more. Many more people watch the games instead of listen to them. Hence, more money. 

There is something very wrong with a society where Impemba and Allen make more money than Dickerson.  

• Like 2

Do the radio or TV guys make more money?  I would assume the TV guys make more.  Jim is a radio guy, Dan talked a little too much for my liking on the TV broadcast, but I still like him a lot.  I like them as a team, but Jim is not a TV IMO.  Mario is alright and I am not a huge fan of Rod and could see them getting rid of him.  I would probably lean towards getting rid of him than keeping him.

Dickerson has the potential to be a great announcer once he learns the art of silence.

On 5/13/2016 at 10:24 AM, John_Brian_K said:

The more he talks, the less Rod Allen talks.  Sounds like a good deal to me .  

Dan just has to cut down on the play-by-play announcing. His insights into the game should continue. I think that's the only real change he needs to make. His honest enthusiasm for the Tigers, as well as for when opposing teams do great things, is infectious.  I have been able to watch or listen to very few games this year, but from the comments I've read on this board people think that Mario is pretty decent on the radio. 

I think both guys did well.  Mario may need to come up with a HR call though. Not a catch phrase or gimmick.... Just polish it.  On TV it's ok because we can see it.  

I don't mind Mario, and I don't think he is a bad announcer or anything but I just don't think he has the voice to be a great announcer.  I mean there are some announcer's like Dan who just have the ability to make any game seem important and I just don't get that with Mario.  I really don't think there's anything he can do, I just think its something you either have or don't.  Even when he does get excited and tries to be boisterous it just seems bland to me.   I don't get excited like I do when Dan or other good announcers do when they call big moments. 

I think Mario is good.  Whatever it is we don't like about him, I'd attribute it to Rod.  Mario's the kind of announcer who could do any sport on short notice, in either radio or TV.  You may not notice who he is or that he's even there but to me that's a good announcer.  The little bit I've heard him with Kirk tellls me the issue is Rod.

12 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I think Mario is good.  Whatever it is we don't like about him, I'd attribute it to Rod.  Mario's the kind of announcer who could do any sport on short notice, in either radio or TV.  You may not notice who he is or that he's even there but to me that's a good announcer.  The little bit I've heard him with Kirk tellls me the issue is Rod.

I think Impemba is OK.  I don't really notice him much. which is usually a good thing on TV.  If I change the channel to the other team's feed, it's because of Allen.  

20 minutes ago, Oblong said:

He definitely loosens up a bit with Gibson in the booth because I think he enjoys how Kirk really understands and explains the subtle dynamics of the game.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

He definitely loosens up a bit with Gibson in the booth because I think he enjoys how Kirk really understands and explains the subtle dynamics of the game.

I think Rod trying to be cool all the time makes Impemba nervous.  

I'll take Dan and Jim over Rod and Mario 100% of the time.

With that said, it's interesting to me to hear people complaining about Dan talking too much but now that I think about it I can see how that could bother people.  Personally, I enjoy what he has to say so much that I've never noticed how much he talks compared to other play by play guys.  As mentioned, his enthusiasm is infectious and he really keeps me engaged.  I like how Dan and Jim are honest about what they see on the field.

To me, Rod Allen will always be the blowhard at the bar that I regret starting a conversation with and I want to get away from as soon as possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The G Man said:

I'll take Dan and Jim over Rod and Mario 100% of the time.

With that said, it's interesting to me to hear people complaining about Dan talking too much but now that I think about it I can see how that could bother people.  Personally, I enjoy what he has to say so much that I've never noticed how much he talks compared to other play by play guys.  As mentioned, his enthusiasm is infectious and he really keeps me engaged.  I like how Dan and Jim are honest about what they see on the field.

To me, Rod Allen will always be the blowhard at the bar that I regret starting a conversation with and I want to get away from as soon as possible.

Dan talking to much on the radio is usually fine. But, I posted in the game thread that first washington game, it was really noticeable on TV. You don't have to describe everything going on, we can see it. 

On 5/16/2016 at 10:19 AM, tiger337 said:

I think Rod trying to be cool all the time makes Impemba nervous.  

IDK, After listening to the interaction between Mario and Kirk, I wonder if Mario isn't a bigger part of the problem with Rod than I have thought in the past. Yes, Mario will 'loosen up", be more open up and talk more personally, which is what the broadcasts with Rod really miss, but Kirk has to push him REALLY hard to get him there. I'd guess Rod just has too much natural reserve himself to push Mario like that, or maybe Mario just won't take it from Rod but feels he has no choice when it's coming from Gibson as a matter of perceived hierarchy.

All I know is the broadcasts are so much better with Gibson rather than Allen.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Couldn't agree more Lee.  Mario and Gibby are entertaining as heck -- I wish they called all Tiger games.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

stop it. 

• Like 1

Agreed.  Gibby has good insight and is goofy as **** sometimes.  I enjoy the way he adds color to a game.

Mario is the new Josh Lewin.