Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Biggest remaining need post draft?

Recommended Posts

Now that the draft has come and gone, what do you consider the biggest remaining need for the Lions?  Granted, we have no idea how well the draftees will fill the roles they were drafted for, but for the sake of discussion assume high rounds will be starters, middle rounds will be back ups, and late rounds will be special teamers at best.

So what hole do we still need to fill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $200 Free Offer - Launching Friday (1/22)

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is launching on Friday, January 22, 2021. Pre-register at BetMGM Sportsbook & Casino and get a free $200 bonus at their online sportsbook & casino with no deposit necessary.

Claim $200 at BetMGM Michigan Now

Starting CB and #3 DE

I want one of Culliver,Cromartie,Powers or Hall and I would like Jason Jones back. Someone like Dwight Freeney(8 sacks last year) could be an alternative. No other major needs to me. LB depth will sort itself out in camp IMO. They could bring Copeland back I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Starting CB
  • Starting DT (Walker and Ngata both on one year deals, and both have glaring issues, I do like Robinson, but I expect next to nothing from Wright, Reid is fairly "meh")
  • Starting SS (I don't see Wilson as a true starter, Killebrew is TBD)
  • 3 Down MLB
  • Rotational DE
  • #3 WR (or #1 really...) someone who can stretch the field, I don't see a true deep threat on the roster
  • Starting Y-TE
  • Short yardage RB (I like AA, and Riddick...but neither are really between the tackles RB...Ridley is an injury risk and has been largely ineffective when on the field)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just need Stafford to have a dynamite season, rest will take care of itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, EchO said:
  • Starting CB
  • Starting DT (Walker and Ngata both on one year deals, and both have glaring issues, I do like Robinson, but I expect next to nothing from Wright, Reid is fairly "meh")
  • Starting SS (I don't see Wilson as a true starter, Killebrew is TBD)
  • 3 Down MLB
  • Rotational DE
  • #3 WR (or #1 really...) someone who can stretch the field, I don't see a true deep threat on the roster
  • Starting Y-TE
  • Short yardage RB (I like AA, and Riddick...but neither are really between the tackles RB...Ridley is an injury risk and has been largely ineffective when on the field)

Missed ya through the draft process friendo

Some of this is legit, some not IMO. 

- Starting CB, yes

 Starting DT - Arguably a need, but with 6 on the roster, I don't consider us in the market for anyone right now. Reid and Walker will get a chance to show what they are worth. Wright and Robinson too for that matter. Ngata is technically controlled for 2 years, so we have options. 

- I'm not sold on any of the strong safeties and I view Kilebrew as more of a LB. However, I think you have to at least see what Bush and Wilson can do at this point

- Whitehead is a 3 down player IMO. I see no reason to think otherwise and Quinn paid him as one. I think we have a strong starting trio here and only 2 will be on the field most of the time. With Kilebrew also a sub package LB, there is good depth here. Of course it would be nice if Van Noy or the rookie could make a little impact. 

- DE, no question

- #3 WR - Interesting one. A deep threat would be interesting. Jones is a deep threat IMO, but I wouldn't mind another. Not a huge element in COoter's offense necessarily though. Jones is a guy they seem to believe in and Kerley has multiple 50 catch seasons on his record and doesn't drop the ball, so he's efficient in the slot at the worst. 

- TE could be ugraded, but I'm comfortable with the mix of players. Pettigrew's health is a factor. A TE will surely be drafted next year. 

- RB - I'm not a huge fan of using too many resources at RB. I think Abdullah,Ridley,RIddick and Zenner should be enough to get it done, especially when you invest in a bunch of run blocking OLs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess basically for me, I differentiate between need and "can be upgraded". You aren't going to have a star everywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EchO said:
  • Short yardage RB (I like AA, and Riddick...but neither are really between the tackles RB...Ridley is an injury risk and has been largely ineffective when on the field)

Does Zach Zenner fill that role?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Missed ya through the draft process friendo

Some of this is legit, some not IMO. 

- Starting CB, yes

 Starting DT - Arguably a need, but with 6 on the roster, I don't consider us in the market for anyone right now. Reid and Walker will get a chance to show what they are worth. Wright and Robinson too for that matter. Ngata is technically controlled for 2 years, so we have options. 

- I'm not sold on any of the strong safeties and I view Kilebrew as more of a LB. However, I think you have to at least see what Bush and Wilson can do at this point

- Whitehead is a 3 down player IMO. I see no reason to think otherwise and Quinn paid him as one. I think we have a strong starting trio here and only 2 will be on the field most of the time. With Kilebrew also a sub package LB, there is good depth here. Of course it would be nice if Van Noy or the rookie could make a little impact. 

- DE, no question

- #3 WR - Interesting one. A deep threat would be interesting. Jones is a deep threat IMO, but I wouldn't mind another. Not a huge element in COoter's offense necessarily though. Jones is a guy they seem to believe in and Kerley has multiple 50 catch seasons on his record and doesn't drop the ball, so he's efficient in the slot at the worst. 

- TE could be ugraded, but I'm comfortable with the mix of players. Pettigrew's health is a factor. A TE will surely be drafted next year. 

- RB - I'm not a huge fan of using too many resources at RB. I think Abdullah,Ridley,RIddick and Zenner should be enough to get it done, especially when you invest in a bunch of run blocking OLs. 

Started a new job with a much more demanding work load, so just haven't been around much...but I'm finally pretty much all settled in so should be able to post a bit more in the coming months.

DT: I understand we have six DT on the roster...but who out of that group do you feel comfortable labeling as an above average starter both this year, and more importantly next year? I don't think any can be relied on, as of now...it's literally six question marks.

SS: Yeah, it's nice to have guys like Bush and Wilson for depth, I think it is unwise to rely on them to start 16+ games. Again, quantity doesn't mean quality.

MLB: I didn't realize Whitehead was going to be slotted as the MLB permanently. I know he has the ability to play outside and inside, but didn't know he has been handed that role.

WR: Maybe I should have been more specific, I don't think we have the deep zone/red zone threat that can get the most out of Stafford's skill-set. He needs a player who can go up and get the ball at it's highest point. Jones gives up 3" in height and nearly 10" in vertical jumping ability to Johnson. As we all know, the most impressive plays over the last few years has been Stafford chucking the ball and Johnson going up and getting it. I don't think Jones replaces that. How many times have we seen Stafford overthrow a wide open receiver down the field? Tons. I think we really need a deep AND vertical threat.

TE + RB: Again, I view these as more cases of quantity not equating to quality. Sure, we have a bunch of them on the roster...but if it's 4th and goal at the 3 yard line, which of those are you counting on? Ridley has been hurt and ineffective, AA and Riddick are more outside/passing threats, and Zenner wasn't much more than a preseason hero. I agree with not spending many resources on either position, but that doesn't mean you have to settle with cheap and bad players. It still pisses me off that we didn't get Thomas Rawls as an UDFA last year, he was a local kid with power. The same thing goes with TE, sure we have a bunch of the roster, but none are even average...it's not like 4 below average TE somehow add up to one average TE.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not just that we have depth, but most of the depth guys have at least one particular skill. For example with TE, I'm fine lining up with say, Mulligan and Ebron and knowing what each can do for me. Sure, I'd love to combine them, but you can't be perfect everywhere. 

I think we agree on the DTs, but with the way we rotate DTs and the way the DL played down the stretch last year, I'm pretty confident here. We are better and deeper here. 

If Ridley or Zenner don't show they can convert those types of situations in MC or TC, a replacement should be sought. 

I think safety is a situation where you've invested in these guys. They're going to be on the roster, so you really don't have the ability to treat it as a need. JMO. I preferred AQ back fwiw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I guess basically for me, I differentiate between need and "can be upgraded". You aren't going to have a star everywhere

Don't need a star, I would settle for league average. All of those positions are weaknesses, just because we have physical bodies doesn't mean they aren't a glaring weakness.

If we were extending this to "can be upgraded", nearly the entire roster would be included. That list would pretty much be everyone outside of Ansah, Levy, Slay, Quin and maybe Warford and even he has regressed lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EchO said:

Don't need a star, I would settle for league average. All of those positions are weaknesses, just because we have physical bodies doesn't mean they aren't a glaring weakness.

If we were extending this to "can be upgraded", nearly the entire roster would be included. That list would pretty much be everyone outside of Ansah, Levy, Slay, Quin and maybe Warford and even he has regressed lately.

Yah, I guess we disagree here. I think we are at least league average at TE, power back and SS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also to your WR comment, I would suggest we are going in a different direction. What Stafford does best is not chuck it deep IMO, its spread the ball around and get rid of the ball quickly. That's the Stafford we saw under Cooter. Jones, like Tate when we brought him in, was among the league leaders in missed tackles caused. He will get those 2, the other Jones, Ebron and Riddick the ball in space and let them do the heavy lifting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

also to your WR comment, I would suggest we are going in a different direction. What Stafford does best is not chuck it deep IMO, its spread the ball around and get rid of the ball quickly. That's the Stafford we saw under Cooter. Jones, like Tate when we brought him in, was among the league leaders in missed tackles caused. He will get those 2, the other Jones, Ebron and Riddick the ball in space and let them do the heavy lifting. 

I think it's tough to assume there will be "open space" without someone like Calvin. Without the deep threat, you will have the safeties playing in, corners pressing and the field won't nearly be as open as it has been in recent years. How many times, even when Johnson was hurt, was he used as a "decoy" to open the field for others. Without a legit deep threat, the field will get much smaller. Maybe Cooter can get creative and figure something out, but I still think (as we have seen in the RZ), someone who can go up and get the ball has been a strength, now it's a weakness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yah, I guess we disagree here. I think we are at least league average at TE, power back and SS. 

I'm kind of surprised you think so considering our TE production was dead last, our running game was dead last, and we lost our best SS to FA and replaced him with two guys who were both injured last year with neither having ever been a full-time starter. I mean, sure our OL will hopefully help the running game, but I don't think they will be able to keep Ridley injury free or turn Zenner into the power back we are lacking...but out of all those areas RB is probably the most hopeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think a big part of our run game being dead last was OL, which we have heavily addressed. OC was a factor as well IMO. Remember, Abdullah lead the NFL in ypc in the 2nd half. 

TE is what it is. I think Mulligan was an upgrade as a blocker on anyone we have, but bottom line is it depends on Ebron. He either takes a step forward, a big one, or our TEs are really bad. 

Short yardage back is our #3 back and is a small role that heavily depends on our OL and the TEs and/or FB. Ridley was a guy I thought was a good bounce back candidate and I spoke highly of Zenner even pre-draft. I believe he could have been our Rawls. We will see. 

I SS I see as having been downgraded, but I viewed AQ as an above average starter(PFF's #1 overall safety in the second half). Bush has health issues, but has the track record of a league average starter IMO, if not slightly better. I think Wilson is league average as a #3 type safety(probably better and a better fit than Ihedigbo) with some upside, that Quinn must have seen to bring him here from NE. Kilebrew likely plays some pure strong safety on run downs, especially short yardage and goal line sets. I think if you don't have a stud at a position, having specialized players and depth is a good way to attack it for the short term and that's what Quinn has done IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, EchO said:

I think it's tough to assume there will be "open space" without someone like Calvin. Without the deep threat, you will have the safeties playing in, corners pressing and the field won't nearly be as open as it has been in recent years. How many times, even when Johnson was hurt, was he used as a "decoy" to open the field for others. Without a legit deep threat, the field will get much smaller. Maybe Cooter can get creative and figure something out, but I still think (as we have seen in the RZ), someone who can go up and get the ball has been a strength, now it's a weakness.

Maybe, but Stafford tended to find Tate just fine when Calvin was out, and Jones is a big upgrade on the Fullers and Durhams of the world. 

To add on to what I said above, WR is in the same boat as TE. If Ebron struggles, we will be a little light on pass catchers. Jones breaking out could potentially help that situation, but he is a slot guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Head Coach

This will happen if the Lions finish with a sub .500 record this season, as many are predicting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Just need Stafford to have a dynamite season, rest will take care of itself. 

I'd like to see Stafford and the team succeed of course but we're eight years into his pro career and and we're still saying this in the context that it might or might not happen. I wouldn't mind a "maybe he will, maybe he won't" mindset if our QB were being paid $11-$12-$14 mil a season, but for a guy getting paid like Stafford, we need more than maybes, hopes and wishes. We need results. I'm no so sure anymore that Stafford is talented enough to carry a team where it needs to be without a ton of help around him. Hopefully I am proven wrong this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm no so sure anymore that Stafford is talented enough to carry a team where it needs to be without a ton of help around him.

Stafford - who will be entering his 8th season as a professional - would have proven by now that he is capable of carrying a team on his own.  He is a potential piece of a winning formula, not the winning formula on his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Euphdude said:

Stafford - who will be entering his 8th season as a professional - would have proven by now that he is capable of carrying a team on his own.  He is a potential piece of a winning formula, not the winning formula on his own.

I'm just expecting more out of the soon to be $24 million dollar kid. No QB can do it alone for sure. I just want the excuses to stop and Stafford to step it up. The coaching, the scheme, poor pass protection, the running game (or lack of), depth at wide receiver, dropped passes, players blowing up in the lockerroom, etc., etc. have been doled out for this dude year after year and I am tired.

T&P talks about the need for Stafford to have a dynamic season for us to have a chance, and he's right. I want a dynamic statistical season from Stafford to finally translate into points on the board and wins in the standings. He flashes the yards (and sometimes the TD's) but never the wins and that's when the excuse express comes rolling through town. Win some dang games and be the reason we make the playoffs this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest remaining need, well maybe the biggest unanswered question is this . . . Do we have a QB that can step up and show that he is worth not only his current contract, but ultimately worth resigning for a hefty price in two years? Do we have a QB worth keeping and paying or moving on from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm just expecting more out of the soon to be $24 million dollar kid. No QB can do it alone for sure. I just want the excuses to stop and Stafford to step it up. The coaching, the scheme, poor pass protection, the running game (or lack of), depth at wide receiver, dropped passes, players blowing up in the lockerroom, etc., etc. have been doled out for this dude year after year and I am tired.

T&P talks about the need for Stafford to have a dynamic season for us to have a chance, and he's right. I want a dynamic statistical season from Stafford to finally translate into points on the board and wins in the standings. He flashes the yards (and sometimes the TD's) but never the wins and that's when the excuse express comes rolling through town. Win some dang games and be the reason we make the playoffs this season.

Lions fans have expected more out of Stafford for years, and he has delivered at a decent clip.  I believe Lions fans should tone down their expectations for Stafford, and accept him for what he is -- a tier two QB that will help you win, but won't win on his own.  That said, if Stafford were to finally break out and establish himself as a tier one QB, this is the season to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Lions fans have expected more out of Stafford for years, and he has delivered at a decent clip.  I believe Lions fans should tone down their expectations for Stafford, and accept him for what he is -- a tier two QB that will help you win, but won't win on his own.  That said, if Stafford were to finally break out and establish himself as a tier one QB, this is the season to do it.

Which goes to my question, is a two tier QB worth locking up in a long-term, expensive contract? It is my belief that, assuming he doesn't completely fall apart, someone is going to pay Matt Stafford north of $23-$24 million per when his current contract runs up. Do we want to be that team? I would like it for him to prove to us once and for all that yes, we should be the team that ponies up big bucks for Stafford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan is launching online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. These top Michigan sportsbooks have pre-launch bonus offers. No deposit is required. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - If you sign up at BetRivers Michigan now, you will receive $50 in free bets to use one their online sportsbook & casino

Click Here to claim $50 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - If you register now before FanDuel launches in January, you will receive $100 to use at their sportsbook app & online casino.

Click Here to claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan For Registering Now

BetMGM Michigan - If you sign up early at BetMGM Michigan before launch, you will receive $200 in free bets to use at their online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $200 at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Early

   


×
×
  • Create New...