Since every stadium needs a nick name I submit my nomination here

Yours to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think Oblong got it right in the other thread with simply "Caesars". I think that's what people will call it naturally.

"Gonna go catch the Wings game at Caesars..."

I don't think people will really call it anything to be honest. It's not like there is more than one place to go watch the wings. I think people will say "im going downtown tonight to see the red wings" or "I'm going to the wings game."

If there is a particular aspect of the arena that warrants discussion, that is another matter. Though I imagine if it comes up in casual conversation, people will probably just call it the new arena.

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don't think people will really call it anything to be honest. It's not like there is more than one place to go watch the wings. I think people will say "im going downtown tonight to see the red wings" or "I'm going to the wings game."

If there is a particular aspect of the arena that warrants discussion, that is another matter. Though I imagine if it comes up in casual conversation, people will probably just call it the new arena.

I agree with this. If someone is going to see the Tigers they will say they are going to see the Tigers rather than including or limiting the phrase "Comerica Park" or any derivative of same.

For the most part people will say 'Tiger game' or Wings game', but I know plenty of people that used to say they were going to the Joe for the Wings game in conversation....or that would say they were going to Comerica Park to catch a game.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

back in the day, Ernie started calling Tiger Stadium "The Corner". Most fans knew what you meant if you said "Going down to the corner tonight" ,That did catch on a little: though I wouldn't say it was ever all that common a usage.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

For the most part people will say 'Tiger game' or Wings game', but I know plenty of people that used to say they were going to the Joe for the Wings game in conversation....or that would say they were going to Comerica Park to catch a game.

And events happen at these arenas that aren't sport related.   "Headed down to watch bull-fighting at Little Caesars." 

"They have bull-fighting at the pizza joint?"

Just now, T&P_Fan said:

And events happen at these arenas that aren't sport related.   "Headed down to watch bull-fighting at Little Caesars." 

"They have bull-fighting at the pizza joint?"

Exactly why 'The Joe' kind of stuck.  Who wants to say 'Headed down for a concert' 'Where at?' 'Detroit', 'where at?' 'The slice or Caesars or Wings arena' etc etc.

They would just say <insert nic name that catches on here>

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

people say The Joe, Comerica or Copa, Ford Field, The Palace etc. 

44 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

people say The Joe, Comerica or Copa, Ford Field, The Palace etc. 

I've yet to hear anyone refer to it as Copa.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I've yet to hear anyone refer to it as Copa.

My friends are mostly old like me, we still mostly call the place 'Tiger Stadium' cause that's what it is.

Yeah - I've said Tiger Stadium and corrected myself more times than I can shake my old timey walking stick (at kids on my lawn).

I will say going to the a Wings game, going to the Lions game, going to the Tigers game. But I may ask where is a cheap place to park near Ford Field, where I can grab a bite within walking distance of Comerica and what's the best exit to take for Caesars.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I like "Caesars" but the problem is that there is also Caesars in Windsor which many people in the area go to also so it could get confusing.   How about just "The L.C.A."?

Most people I know refer to Joe Louis Arena as "The Joe" or "JLA" and Comerica Park as simply "Comerica". I can easily see Little Caesars Arena being called either "Caesars" or "LCA" in informal conversation. 

To clarify my earlier comment(s), of course there will occasion to refer to the arena specifically. I was mostly responding to the idea that people refer to going to the site when going to a game.

If you have questions about the place or things nearby, or you are going to another event there, the name of the place will obviously come up.

But not every place needs a shorthand name. The joe just makes sense. Lopping off the "park" from comerica park makes sense. If you ask someone where the best place to park near comerica is, there would obviously be some context and no one would assume you were talking about the local branch.

Similarly, if you want to ask about something related to the new arena, you can probably get away with saying little caesars and getting rid of the "arena."

I really don't think people are going to use Caesars or lca or pizzarena in normal conversation. It will probably just be shortened to little caesars.

When people say "the joe" they do so because it just sounds good. No one is going to say "Caesars."

By the way, I will probably be making my final visit to the Joe this October. I will let you guys know the dates/game as it gets closer. First beer is on me.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk