John_Brian_K

Little Caesars Arena

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Given that the Piston's retire everyone's number you can be sure they will request statues for Chauncey, Rip, Big Ben, Prince, McDyess, Ham, Atkins, Kid Rock . . .

I don't think Kid Rock played long enough for the Pistons to get his number retired. 

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think Kid Rock played long enough for the Pistons to get his number retired. 

How many half time shows do you have to preform to get a statue then???

The only thing that may be a problem IMO with the Pistons playing in the Slice is that it has been a long time since we had 2 teams playing in the same arena and for me I have never actually been to an arena that housed 2 sports.  I had an earlier concern about banners.  Those are easy enough to put up and down, a couple servos and a switch and you are all set.  Now that it is official that the Pistons are playing there next year I just wonder what the atmosphere is going to be like for both.  Just in the concourses etc.  It is a feel thing when I go to a game, walking around to get to my seat and seeing the murals and statues of past players and great times in the franchises history etc.  Are we going to be walking around seeing both all the time?  Will there be an area that is dedicated to Pistons and one that is dedicated to Red Wings?  Will it all be mixed together or do they actually put up and take down all that kind of thing depending on who is playing?

I will miss the palace it is a great arena IMO and houses some special moments for me, but will end up going to a LOT more Pistons games now that they are closer.

There is nothing about the Palace I will miss... I've probably only been to 15-20 Pistons games there plus concerts and stuff.... the best thing about the Palace was that since it was so far away we usually made a thing out of going and had a nice dinner before at some place out there we don't normally go to.

The Palace was the nicest sports venue in/around Detroit for 15 years or something.  I remember that.

I will say that made dad taking me to watch the Pistons at the Silverdome, including game 3 of the 88 Finals, are some of my fondest sports memories.

I just realized my older son is the same age now as I was then.  Damn, time flies.  No I am not tearing up.  A little hair just got in my eye is all.

Good riddance to the palace. I might actually go to a Pistons game now.

The arena itself was fine once you walked in the doors. It was always in good shape and it was comfortable.

But the location was hot garbage.

It's fine to go through the hassle once a year or something if there is something there worth seeing. A playoff series would be one of those things. I think I've been twice in the last two years. One time for the Michigan and MSU NCAA second round games that were both played there in the same session. The other was for an arcade fire concert (at which I saw Shannon Hogan in person).

Hopefully there is nothing interesting that happens at the palace after the new arena opens.

Yeah I loved the Palace when I was living near 75 but as soon as I moved to the west side it became too much of a hassle to go.  I to think the last time I've been was that Michigan/MSU set a few years ago. 

Getting out of that parking lot often negated any good time I had at the event.

I rarely had a problem leaving it.  I usually would park way in the back of the lot right by the exit that led to 75.  It was a little walk to the arena which sucked on those really cold nights but it was worth it being able to basically pull right out and be on 75.  

I rarely had a problem leaving it.  I usually would park way in the back of the lot right by the exit that led to 75.  It was a little walk to the arena which sucked on those really cold nights but it was worth it being able to basically pull right out and be on 75.  

This is true. That corner back there is best place to park. The key is being able to get to it in the first place.

A few times I ended up on dark roads and no idea where I was. I just followed the traffic and where the workers told me to go. I also hate that stretch of 75. When not going to the palace but going north it's not set up right. You get all the incoming traffic from lapeer road in the right lane and at that point the left lane ends. It's a cluster. Total logjam. It's silly.

When my Dad would take me as a kid/teen he would always get off at what is now the Great Lakes crossing exit and take some back roads into the Arena and we never had a problem.  I could never figure out what he did though because when I tried to recreate it as an adult I got lost. 

Yeah I have gone that way a few times. When I could see traffic mounting. Sometimes traffic was light and it wasn't necessary.

On 11/23/2016 at 0:54 PM, Shelton said:

Good riddance to the palace. I might actually go to a Pistons game now.

The arena itself was fine once you walked in the doors. It was always in good shape and it was comfortable.

But the location was hot garbage.

It's fine to go through the hassle once a year or something if there is something there worth seeing. A playoff series would be one of those things. I think I've been twice in the last two years. One time for the Michigan and MSU NCAA second round games that were both played there in the same session. The other was for an arcade fire concert (at which I saw Shannon Hogan in person).

Hopefully there is nothing interesting that happens at the palace after the new arena opens.

Yah, I guess it depends where you are coming from. I live in Auburn Hills so......... haha. 

On 11/23/2016 at 8:33 PM, Oblong said:

A few times I ended up on dark roads and no idea where I was. I just followed the traffic and where the workers told me to go. I also hate that stretch of 75. When not going to the palace but going north it's not set up right. You get all the incoming traffic from lapeer road in the right lane and at that point the left lane ends. It's a cluster. Total logjam. It's silly.

I don't understand why they close direct access back to 75 after the events.