John_Brian_K

Little Caesars Arena

16 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

was always a matter of time

I take it as a measure of how much better a venue Ceasar's is going to be compared to J Louis. You don't really expect a mid-market metro area to support 2 first class sport/entertainment arenas. What made the Palace work for Davidson was that Joe Louis never was any competition at the Palace's level. Gores apparently was willing to sign a long term lease for the Pistons to stay if Oakland county would let him take some of his capital out by buying the Palace, but Brooks wasn't having any so I guess he (Gores) has decided to get out of Auburn Hills instead of sitting on a possibly declining asset in the form of the Palace. 

I'm really surprised it's happening this soon. Tells you Gores would rather act to get out front even at the risk of maybe being wrong (in this case about whether the Palace could remain economically viable after Ceasar's opens).

There's an article from Crain's dated October 2 about how the re-development potential of the Palace site could be very valuable as in industrial park, potentially moreso than as an arena. I was skeptical until then, but if that article's argument is correct then there is really no great reason why the Pistons shouldn't move.

I hope this happens.  I really like the Palace, but the drive along with the traffic before and after games along with the fact there is nothing else out there to do really makes it not worth my time.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I take it as a measure of how much better a venue Ceasar's is going to be compared to J Louis. You don't really expect a mid-market metro area to support 2 first class sport/entertainment arenas. What made the Palace work for Davidson was that Joe Louis never was any competition at the Palace's level. Gores apparently was willing to sign a long term lease for the Pistons to stay if Oakland county would let him take some of his capital out by buying the Palace, but Brooks wasn't having any so I guess he (Gores) has decided to get out of Auburn Hills instead of sitting on a possibly declining asset in the form of the Palace. 

I'm really surprised it's happening this soon. Tells you Gores would rather act to get out front even at the risk of maybe being wrong (in this case about whether the Palace could remain economically viable after Ceasar's opens).

Almost every city that an NHL and an NBA team uses a shared arena. That and the fact there's no downtown or night life in walking distance of The Palace and its just illogical not to go downtown. I don't like it, as I live in AH, but oh well, that's life. 

oh, and **Caesar's

I am somewhat surprised. The Pistons would have to be more than tenants in the new arena. I still think the Palace can still function as a concert venue. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Almost every city that an NHL and an NBA team uses a shared arena. That and the fact there's no downtown or night life in walking distance of The Palace and its just illogical not to go downtown. I don't like it, as I live in AH, but oh well, that's life. 

oh, and **Caesar's

Minneapolis/St.Paul has Hockey at Excel (StP) and BBall at Target (Minneapolis), but the "is it one Metro or two cities?" political situation there has led to a lot duplicated stuff. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still think the Palace can still function as a concert venue. 

If the reports of the Pistons moving are correct, its owner must have his doubts. Or maybe the Ilitch's have offered Gores such sweetheart deal that he is willing to walk away from the Palace even if it is potentially viable. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I have to think if Gores decided to move after offering the Palace to the county and being rebuffed, that the Palace is toast.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If the reports of the Pistons moving are correct, its owner must have his doubts. Or maybe the Ilitch's have offered Gores such sweetheart deal that he is willing to walk away from the Palace even if it is potentially viable. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I have to think if Gores decided to move after offering the Palace to the county and being rebuffed, that the Palace is toast.

Not really. Some of the busiest concert venues in the country are the ones that don't have major tenants like the Sprint Center in Kansas City. Two pro sport tenants are going to eat up a lot of available dates. I would also say most concert goers are from the suburbs so The Palace is still a good location. 

The more I think about it, the pistons probably easily come out ahead playing at the new arena. The days when the wings don't play are worth nothing to Olympia. So it costs them very little to allow the pistons to play there. Obviously they don't just do it for free, but they are doubling the exposure of the little Caesars name by doubling the number of games played there.

Like I said above, if it makes financial sense to do it they will do it, and so it obviously makes financial sense.

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Rough situation for concerts in the area potentially

I believe that part of the deal may be Illitch buying Pine Knob/The Palace.

Wow, we have disposable arenas now.      The Palace is still a great arena.    A much as I dislike the distance and traffic of going way out there, it seems like a waste. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I believe that part of the deal may be Illitch buying Pine Knob/The Palace.

Do you mean the venues or the Palace promotion company or both? If Palace entertainment sold out to Olympia that would be a huge deal. A monopoly on regional promotions would be the kind of coup for the Ilitchs that would make a loss leader deal for the Pistons chump change in the overall scheme.

But if that were true, along with the reports that Gore was trying to sell the Palace, also sort of implies he's a little cash poor currently..... Or maybe he has just decided that the entertainment business doesn't interest him beyond owning a sports team.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Do you mean the venues or the Palace promotion company or both? If Palace entertainment sold out to Olympia that would be a huge deal. A monopoly on regional promotions would be the kind of coup for the Ilitchs that would make a loss leader deal for the Pistons chump change in the overall scheme.

But if that were true, along with the reports that Gore was trying to sell the Palace, also sort of implies he's a little cash poor currently..... Or maybe he has just decided that the entertainment business doesn't interest him beyond owning a sports team.

I don't think he ever made the purchase with a whole lot of interest in hosting concerts. Its a nice add on and all, but no reason not to cash out if you are moving the team really. He can get nothing for The Palace and I'm guessing he's already in the black on the deal by quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, we have disposable arenas now.      The Palace is still a great arena.     it seems like a waste. 

but yes, this

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Do you get the sense that Gores is going to own this team very long?   I don't.   I heard this on the radio and  I am wondering if it actually is a factor.   This I-75 construction thing that's going to take 14 YEARS could be a part of it.      That is going to be a massive headache.      I love the building itself, but I hate the location.   Basically one way to get there and that way is going to be torn up for a decade.   I would love to have them downtown.  I work 3 miles from there, I live 12 miles from there.   I have 6 or 7 different ways home from there.    

I hate the name District Detroit.   Bland.     How about something more sports-centric now that all four teams are gong to be right there.   Or how about something auto-centric like "The Hub".   It really is going to be the middle of all things and the connector of Downtown to Mid Town.     

Too bad the nieghborhoods still aren't safe.  That's going to get worse.  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

.   Or how about something auto-centric like "The Hub".   It really is going to be the middle of all things and the connector of Downtown to Mid Town.     

that's  pretty good.

Good point about I-75.