John_Brian_K

Little Caesars Arena

3 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

The new name is not really surprising to me... would have been more surprised if it was something else.

Same here.  It will be weird not saying 'the Joe' anymore when going downtown for a hockey game.  Call it the slice?

"Going down to the slice for a game"?

I think that is what I will call it.  Gotta call it something.

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

It will be weird not saying 'the Joe' anymore when going downtown for a hockey game. 

I'm not a huge hockey fan and part of the reason for it I believe is due to Joe Louis Arena.  I just never found that arena appealing, both the location and facility.  

So to me, I welcome the end of 'The Joe' and look forward to the new arena, whatever it ends up being called. I believe I will quickly surpass the two games total that I have seen in my lifetime (one at Joe Louis and one in STL) at the new arena.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I've got tickets tonight for a game at the Hot-N-Ready, wanna go?

$5 each?  Count me in!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I'm not a huge hockey fan and part of the reason for it I believe is due to Joe Louis Arena.  I just never found that arena appealing, both the location and facility.  

So to me, I welcome the end of 'The Joe' and look forward to the new arena, whatever it ends up being called. I believe I will quickly surpass the two games total that I have seen in my lifetime (one at Joe Louis and one in STL) at the new arena.

The location was really good if they would have opened it up to get the views of the river involved.  That never made sense to me.  Let's put the arena right on the water and then build a giant box with absolutely no windows anywhere.

I have only been down to a few games there myself so it is not as nostalgic for me as others I am sure.  'The Joe' was just a cool nick name IMO.

As long as they bring back the conga line dancing poodle and Jimmy Walker, I'm good with it.

DYNOMITE!! Ya still got it!

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The location was really good if they would have opened it up to get the views of the river involved.  That never made sense to me.

I agree, being on the river was a good location, but what I didn't find appealing was it being tucked in behind Cobo. I always found driving there to be a pain, and parking wasn't fun for me either.  However, some of that could be due to the winter weather and lack of familiarity with the area right around it.  I just never wanted to deal with it enough to go.

The new area location is much better for me and the surroundings I'm more familiar with, having been to Comerica Park and Ford Field numerous times.

17 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

$5 each?  Count me in!

I believe this arena qualifies as deep-dish.

All this talk is making me hungry for pizza.  Pizza for lunch today it is, but a nice Detroiter from Buddys.  I only get the 5.00 one when in a real pinch for time.  The last time I got one it was not bad though.  It was actually pretty good.  I think the location REALLY matters for those things.  Sometimes they are flavorless cardboard and other times they are pretty decent.

17 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The location was really good if they would have opened it up to get the views of the river involved.  That never made sense to me.  Let's put the arena right on the water and then build a giant box with absolutely no windows anywhere.

I have only been down to a few games there myself so it is not as nostalgic for me as others I am sure.  'The Joe' was just a cool nick name IMO.

I suspect at the time the Joe was designed, arenas were not being deigned with incorporating outside views in mind.

I further suspect if they attempted to build a stadium on the same site now, the river view would be the focal point of the design.

18 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I agree, being on the river was a good location, but what I didn't find appealing was it being tucked in behind Cobo.

I think that is sort of a superficial conventional wisdom, but I think a closed structure like an indoor sports arena turns out to be a poor use of river front space just as it did with JL. Plus it guarantees limited access on at least one side for public space and for moving people in and out. I think three stadia are all ending up in better places than what they replaced and that the mid-town locations are close to optimal for the city and game fans. I'm a big fan of how the Woodward locations have all turned out .

JLA is a dump.... it was built in a rush.  They forgot to put in a press box.  Realize that it was built less than 10 years before The Palace.

There's really nothing good about JLA other than the heritage of the players involved.  The seats are cramped. Steps are narrow.  Concourse is dumpy.  I am stunned the outside stairs even pass code.  Sometimes there's no step, it's just crumbling concrete.

As for the outside, it was part of the time when our city planners had no vision.  Look at what they did with the Ren Cen.  A beautiful building, the riverfront... let's build a huge cement fortress.  That area from the Lodge to 375 was so poorly designed.  But it was Henry Ford II and who cares about pedestrians and such.

It will get better and knocking down JLA will go a long way towards that and linking up the river fronts to the north/east.  It's beautiful now and JLA stands out as a pile of ****.

43 minutes ago, Oblong said:

JLA is a dump.... it was built in a rush.  They forgot to put in a press box.  Realize that it was built less than 10 years before The Palace.

There's really nothing good about JLA other than the heritage of the players involved.  The seats are cramped. Steps are narrow.  Concourse is dumpy.  I am stunned the outside stairs even pass code.  Sometimes there's no step, it's just crumbling concrete.

As for the outside, it was part of the time when our city planners had no vision.  Look at what they did with the Ren Cen.  A beautiful building, the riverfront... let's build a huge cement fortress.  That area from the Lodge to 375 was so poorly designed.  But it was Henry Ford II and who cares about pedestrians and such.

It will get better and knocking down JLA will go a long way towards that and linking up the river fronts to the north/east.  It's beautiful now and JLA stands out as a pile of ****.

The Joe, the Ford Auditorium (when it was around) and those hideous looking high-rise condos next to the Joe are all eye sores along the river. It will be, as you said, a much needed improvement when the Joe goes. If only those condos could go with it.

Poorly planned area right through there no doubt.  It really kind of starts with Cobo.  If they would have built it a little further north so there could be room between it and the river so they could have a nice walking area there instead of just a road...it cuts the west off from the east side.

The roads are all a mess over there.  Everything is just all whacked out.  Just demolishing the Joe is not going to do a ton because of all the roads over there.

Yeah, the Joe is the Skydome of arenas. One of the last ugly relics before an era on nicer modern arenas started. It didn't even wow anyone at the time of its opening. 

I actually had a dream last week that I was given a sneak preview of the inside of the new arena. Likely a year from now. I walked in at street level. The playing surface was still a floor, the ice hadn't been put in, but the stands were in place. Dominant color was grey, but that was to change by opening day.  The stands all around seemed to be close to the ice with good sightlines.

But the diistinguishing feature was the vertical wall, like at a climbing gym, that went up a foot behind the plexiglass at ice level all the way to the roof. Instead of normal rows of seats, there were thousands of bucket seats in a configuration not unlike those of sheer drop rides at amusement parks. You'd feel right on top of the action. When I asked how people would get to their seats, an engineer explained to meet that they'd use openings at the top and bottom of the wall and space behind the wall to rotate it like a rotisseries spit right before opening puck drop and during each intermission. Quirks were that this meant there'd be no bathroom or concession breaks except at intermissions and with plexiglass and netting extending only halfway up there'd be the chance of fans in the upper half getting pinged by deflected pucks.

49 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah, the Joe is the Skydome of arenas. One of the last ugly relics before an era on nicer modern arenas started. It didn't even wow anyone at the time of its opening. 

I actually had a dream last week that I was given a sneak preview of the inside of the new arena. Likely a year from now. I walked in at street level. The playing surface was still a floor, the ice hadn't been put in, but the stands were in place. Dominant color was grey, but that was to change by opening day.  The stands all around seemed to be close to the ice with good sightlines.

But the diistinguishing feature was the vertical wall, like at a climbing gym, that went up a foot behind the plexiglass at ice level all the way to the roof. Instead of normal rows of seats, there were thousands of bucket seats in a configuration not unlike those of sheer drop rides at amusement parks. You'd feel right on top of the action. When I asked how people would get to their seats, an engineer explained to meet that they'd use openings at the top and bottom of the wall and space behind the wall to rotate it like a rotisseries spit right before opening puck drop and during each intermission. Quirks were that this meant there'd be no bathroom or concession breaks except at intermissions and with plexiglass and netting extending only halfway up there'd be the chance of fans in the upper half getting pinged by deflected pucks.

In your dream, was Pierre McGuire still sitting inside the glass or was he atop this large wall, broadcasting the game and climbing down to interview coaches between commercials?

Although the sponsorship doesn't surprise me, Little Caesars Arena doesn't really roll off the tongue.  I hope a clever and intuitive nickname emerges.

thing is... those usually develop on their own. 

I never called it The Joe.  I just said Joe Louis.    The Joe bugged me.  I also hate it when people refer to Detroit as "The D"