lordstanley

2016 Offseason Thread

Florida gets Yandle negotiating rights for a 6th and a conditional 4th. Of course this is no guarantee he signs with then, but I will be ticked if Florida succeeds at it and the Wings don't.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I suspect no team would trade for him unless it came with a prospect or something.

Phone up Calgary. Retain $1.5mm of Howard's salary. Trade a 4th and get a 3rd back. I think Calgary would consider that.

I think Toronto would have considered that pre-Andersen deal too. I would be pleased if Holland did as you suggested LS but I have my serious doubts. Given Holland's language about Howard and Mrazek, I don't think he fully trusts Mrazek as his full time netminder and wants Howard around as a comfortable insurance policy.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Phone up Calgary. Retain $1.5mm of Howard's salary. Trade a 4th and get a 3rd back. I think Calgary would consider that.

There are so many better options for them, such as Bishop and Fleury.  The Wings need to be realistic this off-season, and just continue to build the team.  They'll get the salary relief next year.  Maybe LV will take Zetterberg off their hands in the expansion draft.  That would be the best case scenario for the Wings.  The Wings just need to keep as much young talent as they can.

Andre-Fluery has a higher cap hit than Howard at $5.75 and Howard is at $5.29 and it isn't as if Andre-Fluery is a significantly better netminder. They have to trade for either netminder, so I think it all boils down to who Calgary prefers, if they want to go the trade route.

4 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

I'd rather have Zetterberg around than lose him to expansion

While I think Z is a great lockerroom leader, his contract should be moved, so as long as we aren't dumping top prospects/high draft picks to do so. The financial expense outweighs the benefits of his leadership at this point IMO.

3 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Dreger seems to think the Wings are hot for Stammer, from a guy who transcribes interviews:

Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about the other party being interested in taking it.  Maybe I'm just afraid to be hopeful, but I still feel like landing Stamkos is more wishful thinking than realistic possibility. 

26 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about the other party being interested in taking it.  Maybe I'm just afraid to be hopeful, but I still feel like landing Stamkos is more wishful thinking than realistic possibility. 

In my mind there's maybe a 5% chance the Wings get Stamkos, there's just too much I can see going against the signing for me to ever expect it to happen.  I merely find it interesting that there is supposed heavy interest from Detroit on it based on the circumstances of this offseason.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

While I think Z is a great lockerroom leader, his contract should be moved, so as long as we aren't dumping top prospects/high draft picks to do so. The financial expense outweighs the benefits of his leadership at this point IMO.

Leadership is nice, but he was also still our leading scorer. IDK, I just wouldn't go that route. Depends what the money was going to. Stamkos? SUre. Weiss? uhhhh lol

If Stamkos gets to free agency I would peg the Wings' chanced at around 33%, as high as any other team. But I think it is still at least 50/50 he will sign with Tampa.

Vegas officially approved for 2017-2018 season.  Quebecker moved to the back burner for now

Larkin finishes 5th in the Calder (rookie of the year):

1. Panarin  2. Gostisbehere 3. McDavid 4. Eichel  5. Larkin 6. Domi

Larkin picked up one 1st place vote and a bunch of 3rd, 4th and 5ths.

Really bummed about the Yandle signing by Florida.  Depressing as **** as a Wings fan. Pay that price, without giving up assets? IN A HEARTBEAT. He was it, he was our chance at a top pairing defenceman.  Yeah, years 6 and 7 might not look great but frankly I couldn't care less about the year 2022 and 2023 at this point. We might be dead by then, ha!  Screw this.

Your General Manager is Ken Holland. You didn't expect an aggressive maneuver to try and out match another team's hand did you?

I'm disappointed in not at least getting a shot at Yandle.  But at the same time, he went for more money and longer years than I expected.  The same people criticizing Holland for not signing him would be the same ones bitching that he gave out too much money and too many years for an "old" defenseman.  I'm guessing there will be a similar reaction when we don't get Stamkos. 

I figured Yandle would get $6m for five years, somewhere in that ballpark, was surprised to see him get paid that much for that long.

Who is everyone hoping for in the draft tomorrow night?

Jakob Chychrun (D) falling to #16 would be awesome but unlikely. As would having one of Mikhail Sergachev or Olli Juolevi fall to us. I think Jake Bean is the more realistic option for us at defense. He's a 6'0 tall, puck moving defense(I've read one of the better/best in this draft class), who is good at distributing the puck side to side and up/down the ice. Bean's the guy that realistically speaking, I would like for us to draft.

Juolevi sliding would be awesome, but like you I don't see the first three you mentioned as realistically being available.  Fabbro might be there.  Pronman has the Wings going with Bellows, and he doesn't sound like a bad move if the top D are gone, power scoring winger.

Flames just traded for Elliot from St. Louis. There goes a Howard destination.

Chycrun close to falling to Wings. Don't tease us like this. Can't Holland move up a spot or two now?