lordstanley

2016 Offseason Thread

I went with Athanasiou, Frk, Jurco, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Sheahan, Tatar at forward, Dekeyser,  Marchenko and Ouellet on defense and Mrazek at goaltender.

I sent Ken Holland an e-mail and asked for his responses and he sent back the following list . . .

Abdelkader, Cleary, Datsyuk, Franzen, Helm, Miller, Zetterberg at forward, Ericsson, Green, Kronwall on defense and Howard at goaltender.

19 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Tater gonna Tater lol

I'll show you the e-mail, it was from his work e-mail Kenny@detroitredwings.com haha.

• Like 1

I'm surprised Kenny is able to work his email, I assumed one of his assistants would be doing that since he hasn't done anything successful on his own.

36 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I'm surprised Kenny is able to work his email, I assumed one of his assistants would be doing that since he hasn't done anything successful on his own.

I give the guy his credit when it is due, it is just so rarely often due. Don't complain though when they have an expansion draft for the Vegas team and Holland opts to protect many of his veteran players.

I doubt he will, even a dumpster fire gm like Holland can recognize that an expansion team isn't going to take expensive old players unless they are among the best at their position.  Of your fake Holland protection plan Zetterberg, Franzen, and Kronwall have zero chances of being taken.  If Franzen were healthy then he'd be a maybe, but he's never going to play in the NHL again.  Datsyuk's deal will be up.  Helm, Miller, and Cleary aren't even eligible at the moment because they are not Red Wings.

But I reserve the right to complain about anything I want, you don't have a monopoly on that :P

12 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Helm, Miller, and Cleary aren't even eligible at the moment because they are not Red Wings.

Oh don't worry, the annual Cleary contract is coming. I have been on Dan Cleary watch since the season ended. And I do believe we will see both Helm and Miller brought back.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Of course you believe that.  It goes without saying you believe that.

Do you expect them to be brought back? Do you think they should be brought back?

Dreger seems to think Holland is busy at the moment: "There are teams with interest. And again, Detroit seems to have a million irons in the fire. I mean Kenny Holland , he’s working overtime to renovate that roster."  We'll see if anything comes of it.

What do you mean Holland hasn't won anything recently?

His Internet fans have named him the winner of the trophy named after this guy for 5 straight years:

645615770_orig.jpg?174

Gee Pavel, you signed a contract........if you can still play the game, you should honor it.   Have fun in that cesspool of a country of yours.  You and Putin can be best friends. 

PS: There are certain times in a franchises life when it's time to push the reset button.

Well today, for the Red Wings, that time is now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

PS: There are certain times in a franchises life when it's time to push the reset button.

Well today, for the Red Wings, that time is now.

If by pushing the reset button you're even inferring a rebuild, that's out of the question. We're retooling. If you push the reset button you'll be in last place for 10 years or something like that. Rebuilding doesn't work, retooling does apparently.

ProHockeyTalk: Holland makes argument to keep Howard

Petr Mrazek played about 50 games this year, (and) the wheels came off a little bit in the middle of February,” Holland told The Fan 590 today (audio). “Jimmy Howard really came in and I thought saved our season when our season was on the line. You’ve got to have two goaltenders. … There’s a small group of goaltenders, they’re workhorses, that can play 70 games.”

“It could possibly be detrimental if we put Petr in a situation where we’re just going to throw him out and play 70 games and no matter how you play, we’re going to keep putting you out,” said Holland.

I knew Tire Kicker Kenny was keeping Howard around. This is a men's league, we like our team, kids aren't the answer. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

As opposed to signing a backup net-minder for $1.5-$2 per year, our GM is going to opt to pay his backup netminder $5.2 per because he doesn't appear to have interest in trading him. Everyone and their mother thinks Howard should be traded except Kenny. The justification is super weak for keeping Howard around IMO, and yet, Holland is going to make that argument.

36 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

ProHockeyTalk: Holland makes argument to keep Howard

I knew Tire Kicker Kenny was keeping Howard around. This is a men's league, we like our team, kids aren't the answer. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

As opposed to signing a backup net-minder for $1.5-$2 per year, our GM is going to opt to pay his backup netminder $5.2 per because he doesn't appear to have interest in trading him. Everyone and their mother thinks Howard should be traded except Kenny. The justification is super weak for keeping Howard around IMO, and yet, Holland is going to make that argument.

I suspect no team would trade for him unless it came with a prospect or something.

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I suspect no team would trade for him unless it came with a prospect or something.

Lots of team need a goalie and Howard is still a decent option. Maybe you sweeten the pot with a 3rd or 4th if you have to, but I think there is a trade market for Howard. Toronto would have been one of those options I suspect had they not just trade for Frederik Andersen today.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Lots of team need a goalie and Howard is still a decent option. Maybe you sweeten the pot with a 3rd or 4th if you have to, but I think there is a trade market for Howard. Toronto would have been one of those options I suspect had they not just trade for Frederik Andersen today.

I disagree. Howard is a starting goalie in name only, he's not quality and teams aren't going to take on $15M that they actually have to pay. I highly doubt a 2nd rounder would do it, you'd have to take on a bad contract in return or include a guy you don't want to give up or a 1st round pick.

Well the Leafs traded for Andersen and gave him a 5 year deal between 5-5.5 million per year.... so we are staring at a blueprint for a Mrazek deal and I can't say I'm happy they gave Andersen that much money because I was hoping Petr's deal would be in the 4 million range.