lordstanley

2016 Offseason Thread

Why would getting Stamkos force you to make a big trade for D?  If anything it would help lessen the need because suddenly you actually have a scoring threat on offense who can put up points while still playing the strict defensive system needed to cover for the lack of backend talent.  If you keep the same average to below average offensive unit from last season you would need a top d man even more to cover for their lack of scoring and possession deficiencies.  I am struggling to find the logic here.

Pavel's agent says that the report isn't accurate, and the Russian site where it originated doesn't have a very good reputation from what I heard.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, but just sayin.

Pavs had 3 assists in the Bronze Medal game vs. the U.S..     The hasn't done **** for the Red Wings the last couple of years in the playoffs.   It's time to say goodbye.    Hopefully a team is below the salary floor and will be willing to take on his contract to get above it.      

Funny how healthy he gets when he plays for Russia............ 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Pavs had 3 assists in the Bronze Medal game vs. the U.S..     The hasn't done **** for the Red Wings the last couple of years in the playoffs.   It's time to say goodbye.    Hopefully a team is below the salary floor and will be willing to take on his contract to get above it.      

Funny how healthy he gets when he plays for Russia............ 

He was playing against inferior competition on bigger ice with probably a more creative/less restrictive defensive system, are you really shocked he put up better offensive numbers in that environment than he did for the Wings?

7 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

He was playing against inferior competition on bigger ice with probably a more creative/less restrictive defensive system, are you really shocked he put up better offensive numbers in that environment than he did for the Wings?

I don't know, I just feel like he checked out about 2 years ago after the Olympics.   He showed flashes, but he didn't play to his salary level.   Part of that is on Holland.  He had to know that Pavel wasn't really fully into anymore when he signed him to that deal.  

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know, I just feel like he checked out about 2 years ago after the Olympics.   He showed flashes, but he didn't play to his salary level.   Part of that is on Holland.  He had to know that Pavel wasn't really fully into anymore when he signed him to that deal.  

There were a lot of games this year where in my opinion it looked like he was one of the few Red Wings really truly trying.  He's slowed down a bunch due to age and injury, and is probably overpaid slightly, but I don't think he's outrageously overpaid in comparing players with the same cap hit the last season:

7.5 per club:

Stamkos (64 points in 77 games), due to get a raise into the 10 per year club though

Tarasenko (74 points in 80 games)

Spezza (63 points in 75 games)

A bit below:

Krejci (63 in 72 games)

Ryan (56 in 81)

Sedins (55 in 74 and 61 in 82)

A bit above:

Parise (53 in 70)

Nash (36 in 60, ouch)

Kessel (59 in 82)

Staal (39 in 83)

Getzlaf (63 in 77)

Giroux (67 in 78)

Most of these players aren't known for their defensive skills too, so I feel like Datsyuk at 49 points in 66 games isn't outrageous.  I think part of it is that we are used to him being one of the top 5ish players in the NHL (all around game, in my opinion) and he just can't do that anymore.  I thought he looked pretty engaged and "hungry" but I guess that could have just been me.

I saw games where he appeared to have mailed it in this past season, but I could say that for pretty much all of the key players at one time or another.  I wasn't happy with the overall effort level on a number of nights.

Citing a single Olympic game as evidence to support an opinion is cherry picking at its finest, though.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I saw games where he appeared to have mailed it in this past season, but I could say that for pretty much all of the key players at one time or another.  I wasn't happy with the overall effort level on a number of nights.

Citing a single Olympic game as evidence to support an opinion is cherry picking at its finest, though.

Ya, I didn't think Blashill did a fantastic job with dividing up ice time but his biggest flaw seemed to be that the team looked uninterested in most nights and rarely played a full 60 minutes.  Hopefully he can do a better job of preparing the team to work hard each game.  

I can't honestly say, but there were games where he wasn't involved like I had come to expect him to be.

Whether he was checked out mentally or unsure of what to do or where to be (or a combination thereof), it wasn't an issue solely his on that club.

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Was it disinterest or was it confusion about roles and lack of flow with changing linemates?

It seemed like many players were frustrated over their roles and usage at the end of the year and were vocal about it to the media, which I was surprised about.  So I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter in your question.  

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

So Gudbranson was available ...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

It was a lot to give up for a middle of the road second pairing guy

No thanks on the Gubbranson deal. I'm glad Kenny didn't pull the trigger on that one. Vancouver gave up McCann which would be akin to us parting with Athanasiou I would guess.

I know nothing about the guy, he was a former third round pick of SJ

From HF:

Talent Analysis

Sadowy has been one of the most productive forwards in junior hockey despite a perceived lack of skating speed. His strength and conditioning compares favorably with other young players and he has been a team leader, capable of playing in all situations. He plays a two-way game, with an offensive toolkit that is more hustle than flash. He often scores by out-working the opposition in the dirty parts of the ice, utilizing his athleticism. He should consider to add power as he fills out his frame.

Future

Sadowy will attend his second training camp with the Sharks before likely returning to Saginaw for his fourth OHL season. He is also a candidate to play for Canada at the 2016 World Junior Championship. Long-term, Sadowy may not be the scorer he has been during his junior career but he could be an effective complementary top-nine player.

Ahhh looks like the Sharks weren't going to sign him so traded away his rights, guessing the Wings will sign him ASAP so he doesn't edit: renter the draft not become a free agent.  Last summer Pronman at ESPN (who I like for prospect stuff) had him as the Sharks' 5th best prospect last summer and wrote:

Noteworthy prospect

Dylan Sadowy trended up in a big way this season, notching 42 goals in his 18-year-old OHL season. He's a sturdy forward with good two-way awareness. His hands aren't elite, but his skill is a tick above average, to combine with a quality wrist shot and a fantastic work ethic. His skating is the major flaw in his tool kit right now.

Well they got that done fast 

Fear The Fin has a recent write-up on Sadowy, (to me it feels like he's a Tyler Bertuzzi type)…

Dylan Sadowy is a Woodbridge, Ontario native that played his midget hockey with the Vaughan Kings. He was drafted towards the end of the 2nd round in the 2012 OHL Priority Draft by the Saginaw Spirit. He called Saginaw, Michigan home for 3 and a half years before being traded as a rental to the Barrie Colts. Sadowy has amassed 70 points in 64 OHL games this year. After the deadline deal with Saginaw, Dylan played a key role as a goal scoring force on Barrie’s 2nd line. He had 25 goals in 28 games for the Colts, and will suit up for them in their 1st round series against the high-flying Mississauga Steelheads.

He is a gritty, agitating, goal-scoring winger. Dylan played on the top unit in all situations for the Saginaw Spirit but has been used as a secondary option on even strength, the penalty kill, and on the power play for the Barrie Colts. Sadowy has improved a lot as a skater since the draft. His edgework is decent, his motor never stops, and he never gives up.

His bread and butter is using his power and strength to drive to the net as well as to get into the corners and below the net to win board battles.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No thanks on the Gubbranson deal. I'm glad Kenny didn't pull the trigger on that one. Vancouver gave up McCann which would be akin to us parting with Athanasiou I would guess.

I may have given up AA for Gudbranson. He's a solid 2nd pairing defenseman already and who is only 24 so has upside potential. No offensive contribution though. And have no idea why Vancouver had to sweeten it by adding #33 overall to the package. BTW, Gudbranson is a cautionary tale about the unpredictability of high picks, especially d-men taken near the top of the draft - he is a former #3 overall.

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does anyone know if Sadowy will be in Grand Rapids next season? Was this his final year in Juniors?

My guess is Grand Rapids, probably one of the reasons he agreed to sign with Detroit if traded and didn't want to sign in SJ.  I've read he is "turning pro" so his Junior eligibility is probably over?  Grand Rapids is going to have a ton of turnover going into next year so there should be plenty of space for him.

Sure, why not. 

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/friedman-detroit-likely-team-land-radulov/

“I also think that right now, if I had to pick where Radulov was going in the NHL, I’d say Detroit is the most likely team. I’m not saying for sure 100 percent it’s going to happen, but it sounds like that there’s an attempt being made for him to go there, and to sign him.”