Jump to content

lordstanley

2016 Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

haha, well I suppose I already knew that was your answer. May be right I suppose

Maybe if Vancouver offers Kenny a pair of his very own Vertical Leap training shoes he'll move Jimmy.

top-20-seinfeld-episodes-419334.jpg

But even then I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenny: Red Wings Not A Cup Contender

Quote

 

“I don’t know that there are more than five or six legitimate Stanley Cupcontenders; we’re probably not in that group,” Holland recently told NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “After that five or six, there are 20 teamswithout much difference between them. We’re in that group of 20.

“Certainly there are lots of questions about our team.”

 

There is a reason why we are plodding through as an 8th seed every year, because of the team you assembled Kenny. This guy is stating the obvious about the team that he built. Hey, at least he's beginning to be honest about his own mediocrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Holland Q&A w/NHL.com's Dan Rosen

Excerpt from the Q&A . . .

Kenny said about Gustav Nyquist . . .

Quote

"He had the security of a four-year contract and we had a brand new coach (Jeff Blashill), and I think both factored in [to his regression]."

So Nyquist let his team friendly contract go to his head? Really, that's the excuse that Kenny pulled out publicly? Does anyone really believe that Nyquist's new contract and not Jeff Blashill's system or changing Nyquist's position on the power play is the real reason for the decline?

Our General Manager is an idiot and an embarrassment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh, sounds like Holland knows a little something about being comfortable in your job and regressing.  Not to mention he gives out long term contracts like candy.

I really can't even stand to listen to anything that comes out of his mouth anymore.  It keeps getting more and more ridiculous the way he tries to explain away the Wings mediocrity.  Always blaming everyone and anything but himself.  Imagine going to your boss and saying, hey, look just going to be mediocre this year.  You cool with that?

The Wings are just stuck in no mans land.  Not good enough for the Cup, not bad enough to get draft picks.  I'm not a fan of tanking it per se, but the depressing thing is, the Wings don't even have the talent to tank it.  I can't see Ericsson, Kronwall or Zetterberg bringing back much in return. 

There was cap space, players out there and moves to be made.  More over 30 guys, bad long term deals to players who are a dime a dozen, no trades and more excuses.  Couldn't have been a worse offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kacie said:

Huh, sounds like Holland knows a little something about being comfortable in your job and regressing.  Not to mention he gives out long term contracts like candy.

Exactly! Why sign 32 year old Frans Nielsen to a 6 year deal or Darren Helm to a 5 year contract or bring in Steve Ott or Tomas Vanek if you're not a contender? What was the point of this entire off-season if not to make your team a contender?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Not to summon Tater by speaking this name, but I know Cleary is friends with Horcoff (I read that somewhere) so maybe he'll kick upstairs with his boy Shawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

He won't make the team, relax.

With the way Kenny manages a roster you never know. He could make Grand Rapids roster though. What we really need though is another forward, we don't have enough of them already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

With the way Kenny manages a roster you never know. He could make Grand Rapids roster though. What we really need though is another forward, we don't have enough of them already.

Because he played in Detroit last year right?  The Griffins are without Jeff Hogan after this offseason (their former captain, older than Dan Cleary) and their oldest vets without Cleary are Tangradi who isn't even 30 and two new comers in Matthew Ford and Ben Street.  AHL teams aren't comprised entirely of top prospects no matter how much fans would like it that way, they are still a team and a guy like Cleary who knows the entire organization, is a hard worker and a good example for the young guys, has value to the Griffins and the Red Wings as a whole as they prepare the young guys to hopefully be the future.  Cleary only played 35 games last year so it isn't like he is out there hogging up the ice time so the young guys won't play.  But he will be around the young guys in the weight room, the video room, in practice showing them how to work in order to make it in the NHL.

I know it is low hanging fruit to rally around Cleary getting a tryout but I have no clue why it is still upsetting when they showed last year that he won't be in Detroit (Tangradi, Nosek, Ferraro, Mantha, Andersson, Athanasiou all got the call over Dan) and there is a leadership void left in GR after losing their long time captain.  He'll be cheap and get a ton of days off if he is in GR.  If you want to get mad about that, that's your right, but there are so many other things to point to that Holland has done wrong it must be exhausting to see the bad in everything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

If you want to get mad about that, that's your right, but there are so many other things to point to that Holland has done wrong it must be exhausting to see the bad in everything.

It is exhausting to see the bad in everything with the Wings. I don't like being Mr. Negative about a team that I've loved watching almost my entire life. I can barley remember a time in my life where this team wasn't competitive and wasn't a potential Cup contender. However, when your General Manager doesn't do much of anything good, right, or exciting these days (aside from the draft and prospects, which he really doesn't run) what's left to get excited about? I've just decided that I'm going to gripe and moan until Holland is either gone or actually bothers to change course and find a new way to make this team competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If the Wings let Dan Cleary go they would be a much stronger Cup contender.

You'll be happy to hear that they have, he's on an AHL contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2016 at 2:52 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It is exhausting to see the bad in everything with the Wings. I don't like being Mr. Negative about a team that I've loved watching almost my entire life. I can barley remember a time in my life where this team wasn't competitive and wasn't a potential Cup contender. However, when your General Manager doesn't do much of anything good, right, or exciting these days (aside from the draft and prospects, which he really doesn't run) what's left to get excited about? I've just decided that I'm going to gripe and moan until Holland is either gone or actually bothers to change course and find a new way to make this team competitive.

Nobody's buying this

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Nobody's buying this

Think of the jubilation everyone felt when they learned Mayhew was fired. Why was everyone so jubilant here, because they finally had hope for the future. I want a hopeful future with the Wings. Right now though, what's there to hope for? 8th place and a first round exit? Hope we don't finish 9th? I really don't enjoy being Mr. Negative and would enjoy being a positive fan were there something to be excited about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Sadowy trade is going to end up looking shrewd, granted I have really only seen him play in this last preseason game and couldn't focus on the game exclusively, but the play he made on his assist was very nice.  In front of the net on the power play, after a deflection he smoothly picked up the puck and curled out to the half boards with some good patience and hit Smith with a pass.  Smith then slap passed for a one timer/tip goal.  I read that is Sadowy's game in front of the net so hopefully he pans out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2016 at 4:31 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Think of the jubilation everyone felt when they learned Mayhew was fired. Why was everyone so jubilant here, because they finally had hope for the future. I want a hopeful future with the Wings. Right now though, what's there to hope for? 8th place and a first round exit? Hope we don't finish 9th? I really don't enjoy being Mr. Negative and would enjoy being a positive fan were there something to be excited about. 

Just ribbin' ya mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×