Deleterious

Pistons 2016 Offseason

14 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Not glossing over it, just not sure how it's optimistic to suggest that if your team does a trade that isn't going to happen they'll finally be good. Seems like the opposite.

Not a great example as Morris was on a good team last year winning 50+ games, playing in a situation he wanted to be in (playing with his brother) in a lesser role and came to a worse team, and made a starter. I'll take your word on the red flags, I only ever really heard about the fight his brother and him got in...don't really know about the rest.

The fight, along with the techs, made/makes Morris a huge gamble based on the potential that he:

--Could do hard jail time, making him miss practices and game.  Said jail time would also lessen his trade value and possibly turn the fan base against him/the team (even further).

--Reacts poorly to the trade and post-fight attention.

Obviously, he reacted very well to the trade and he seems to have become a team leader.  SVG could have had an idea that this could happen, but it was a gamble none the less. 

Call me scarred, but I remember when Detroit traded Dennis Rodman for Sean Elliott (there were other players involved, but these two were the keys).  Elliott was coming off his first AS appearance and was poised to make the jump to being a 20 PTS/40% 3pt small forward.  He gets to Detroit, underperforms and doesn't fit in.  Detroit tries to trade him to Houston, but Elliott fails the physical.  Detroit ends up trading him back to SA for Billy Curley and a pick that became Charles O'Bannon.

So at the end of the day, we traded the best rebounder (who at one time was also the best defender), Isaiah Morris, the 1996 picks used for John Wallace and Antonio Lang for the 1996 first-round pick used for Jerome Williams, the 1997 second-round pick used to draft Charles O'Bannon, David Wood, Bill Curley.  Sean Elliott not only checked out on the Pistons, he concealed his kidney disease from them.  Given, not every player is going to be a walking herpes virus like Elliott, but you never know what you are bringing in even when you get a player like Elliott with a sterling reputation.

24 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Not sure where you get your info from, but the Suns won 39 games the last year Morris was there.  

He had 9 technical fouls which is a lot considering he only played 25 MPG.

You're welcome to read about how toxic Morris was in Phoenix if you want.

And don't forget this gem.  Even Cousins doesn't have a video like this.

There must be something in the water at Phoenix that doesn't agree with some dudes.

21 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I might be in the minority here.  But I feel everyone should throw things at Danny Ainge.  

I was actually in PHX during that time period and the city was melting down hard over the Ainge and the Suns at that point. When I saw Horry's towel throw at Ainge on Sports Center--over and over again--it was like the best thing ever.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Not sure where you get your info from, but the Suns won 39 games the last year Morris was there.  

He had 9 technical fouls which is a lot considering he only played 25 MPG.

You're welcome to read about how toxic Morris was in Phoenix if you want.

And don't forget this gem.  Even Cousins doesn't have a video like this.

fair enough. Thought the 48 win season was last year and didn't know about the techs. I take it back that it's a terrible example. I still dislike Cousins and don't believe he's a guy you can win with as the main guy.

Then I assume you want to trade Andre ASAP.  If you can't win with Cousins you certainly can't win with Drummond.

Yah, if Cousins doesn't move make us at least close to a contender, we need to blow the whole thing up, ASAP

17 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Then I assume you want to trade Andre ASAP.  If you can't win with Cousins you certainly can't win with Drummond.

I'm up for trading AD definitely. But if I want to trade him I want to get a guy I believe in. I think talent-wise Cousins is there and is what he will be. AD has potential to improve but there's no guarantee with him so I'd move him definitely. Cousins is the better player, the more valuable player and he's probably more of detriment to winning a title.  If our goal is to be a 50 win team then he'd be probably the best choice. If the goal is to win a title, I'd rather take the chance on AD improving because he's got a more unique skill set. 

6 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

I'm up for trading AD definitely. But if I want to trade him I want to get a guy I believe in. I think talent-wise Cousins is there and is what he will be. AD has potential to improve but there's no guarantee with him so I'd move him definitely. Cousins is the better player, the more valuable player and he's probably more of detriment to winning a title.  If our goal is to be a 50 win team then he'd be probably the best choice. If the goal is to win a title, I'd rather take the chance on AD improving because he's got a more unique skill set. 

We disagree, but I understand where you're coming from.  

Would acquiring Cousins make us a more attractive destination for another marquee free agent? Is Cousins the kind of player (and Detroit the type of city) where other guys would want to come to just to try and win with Boogie and SVG?

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would acquiring Cousins make us a more attractive destination for another marquee free agent? Is Cousins the kind of player (and Detroit the type of city) where other guys would want to come to just to try and win with Boogie and SVG?

Top level stars?  Nope.  James is about the only guy who can do that and Curry might as well.

I could see him and SVG drawing some lesser tier players though that maybe Detroit couldn't get before.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What does the cap situation look like with Cousins on the team and Drummond gone?

Roughly the same either way.

Drummond would be making a lot more so Sacramento would need to add contracts to make it work.  

If those contracts had one year left you might end up with some space the next year cause cousins would still be on a cheap deal.

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What's a contract worth taking off of them? Collinson at $5,229,454?

That is a good one because he is in the last year so you aren't married to him.

If I'm the Kings I try to make some take Gay.

Vlade said they aren't trading him this year.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241855/Kings-Wont-Trade-DeMarcus-Cousins-This-Year-For-Sure

Yes, this. I don't think Lebron is coming here or anything with Cousins in town, but any time you have a superstar, you become more attractive to other top level players IMO. 

I'd also be in the camp of trying to dump Gay when trading Cousins. 

Sounds like Johnson and Pope will be part of the USA Select Team.  It's basically the team that the national team beats up on all summer.  

SVG won't let Johnson go so he can work on his fundamentals haha.

That was such a BS answer about summer league. Like a week of practice and a week of games was going to stop him from working on stuff.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/04/17/nba-mock-draft-2016/

Hoops Hype's latest mock draft has us taking Caris Levert. Here is what they had to say . . .

LeVert was seen as a guy with lottery talent going into the season, but having a second injury-plagued year has taken its toll on his draft stock. Many teams have him projected in the second round, so this is clearly going out on a limb putting him in the top 20. His foot ended his season and if it doesn't check out in team physicals, he will slide. He's an unselfish, versatile two-guard with a smooth mid-range game and excellent vision. While he lacks elite athleticism, he shows a great feel for the game, cerebral decision and the ability to make those around him better. How well he checks out in physicals and tests athletically will be crucial for his draft stock.

I don't know much of anything about this draft.  But it wouldn't shock me at their position if nobody really attractive was left.

I wouldn't be opposed to using the pick in a trade for a veteran player.

maybe Montejuinus will be available.

How many guys with "lottery talent" that fall into the second round end up proving the doubters wrong? Wasn't that one of the lines on articles pumping up Dinwiddie?