Sign in to follow this  
drownwithyou

04/21/16 Game 5, Series 1 Wings at Lightning FS-D NBCSN 7:00 pm

Such a strange pretense as a fan. you kind of know the Wings are not Stanley Cup Contenders, but you don't want them to lose.. and you definately don't want the game to end the season with one shot

You just really aren't going to win a lot of series when the two guys who get the most ice time have a combined one point.  I know it's likely inuries/age but the ineffectiveness is  shocking.

I get Mrazek made the pass, but the big lug just stood there like the house by the side of the road.

I wish I could say I thought it would end differently.  But this was exactly what I expected.    On to the Tigers....

The end of the Datsyuk era....best of luck to him playing in Russia next year. Hopefully the move back to his motherland will give him the motivation to play to his potential, because he looked like he mailed it in with the Red Wings this season.

• Like 1

The Datsyuk era is over. One of the most thrilling players to watch in the history of the game. A guy who gave us two Stanley Cups and 14 years worth of memories. Thanks Pav, you were a heck of a player and a heck of an entertainer.

One take away.. that some probably don't like.. they kept the streak going to 25 and if in 10 years the streak is 35, with maybe 2-3 Stanley Cups... you know that there has to be lean years, but you hope the lean lean wasn't a horrible last place.. which there hasn't been. This wasn't a great year.. but not sure who wants horrible.....

8 goals in 5 games won't cut it. Neither will 0-4 in games that were tied in the 3rd period.

We need a goal-scorer, any chance we can sign Stamkos? Or should we not?

Any chance we can deal Nyquist or Ericcson? Or should we not?

I'm just glad I don't get too frustrated and angry over the losses any more.  Just disappointed.  I can remember the series losses of the 90's and thinking I'd never see the Wings win the Cup.  I want to believe there will be big changes, but that's not how any of this works with Holland.  After watching him in the playoffs, now I'd be bummed if Datsyuk did come back. 

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

8 goals in 5 games won't cut it. Neither will 0-4 in games that were tied in the 3rd period.

I'd go for Stamkos. I'm not sure why he'd want to choose us over teams and there are risks because of the blood clot and last year's leg injury, but I'd go hard. He's a true star, just turned 26. He is a Datsyuk replacement, at probably only $2mm-$3mm more than Datsyuk's cap hit. 

If you sign Stamkos, you have forward depth to move. Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, AA - a couple of those plus a pick to get a really good defenseman.

The Wings are set in net with Mrazek. He's the real deal.

This team isn't a lost cause, they have a lot of tools to work with if they were willing to move pieces around and out. But I'm afraid Holland will use any cap room to sign a few mid-range players. Rather than my preferred approach which would be to blow it on 1 or 2 stars and make up for it by playing prospects on dirt cheap salaries.

8 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'd like to buy out Ericsson. His cotnract is untradeable.

I'd trade Nyquist - and in fact anyone not named Larkin - if it helped fill out a package for a good defenseman, but I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him. I can see him bounce back. He has to shoot more and stop thinking so much. Reminds me of Filppula that way. 

4 minutes ago, Kacie said:

I'm just glad I don't get too frustrated and angry over the losses any more.  Just disappointed.  I can remember the series losses of the 90's and thinking I'd never see the Wings win the Cup.  I want to believe there will be big changes, but that's not how any of this works with Holland.  After watching him in the playoffs, now I'd be bummed if Datsyuk did come back. 

I'm surprised Datsyuk even put 49 points in 63 games this seasons. Like, when? He was really slow when he came back from his injury.; Then did nothing down the stretch before being invisible in the playoffs. Must have quietly piled up some assists in between.

11 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I'd like to buy out Ericsson. His cotnract is untradeable.

I'd trade Nyquist - and in fact anyone not named Larkin - if it helped fill out a package for a good defenseman, but I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him. I can see him bounce back. He has to shoot more and stop thinking so much. Reminds me of Filppula that way. 

I have lukewarm opinions on Nyquist, but I'd definitely deal him if it helped the bigger picture--either with the actual return or if they needed the cap space for a FA they had lined up. Same with Ericsson really, I guess the only reason to keep him around is if they don't need his cap space. Although you can't seem to trust any coach to play him on the 3rd pairing.

The Wings played great last night but simply did not bury their chances.  That is what I took from the game.

They did and, coming off a dominant performance in Game 3 and an even performance in Game 4 (and even in Game 1 for that matter), if they had managed to pull off a win last night there would have been optimism of at least reaching a Game 7. But the Wings are hard dne by. Given their shaky regular season to say he least, a 5-game 1st round exit seems fair. And losing the series due to a dreadful powerplay, underwhelming performances by their older former stars, ineffective offense and late goals is a fitting way to end given their season long weakesses.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk