Sign in to follow this  
Gehringer_2

Next Tiger Starter Watch

here is a thread for watching Fulmer, Norris and Boyd starts till someone is called up.

so tonight (4/18), Boyd went 5 with no runs, then in the 6th put a man on on his own error, gave up a double to score him, was lifted the inherited runner scored, so he is charged with 2ER in 5 IP, 6H, 4K 2BB

Boyd looked really good when I saw him against the Cards in ST.  He had better command of the zone, wasn't leaving pitches up,  and curveball was fooling good hitters.  He belongs in an MLB rotation IMO.  Problem is, Norris is better when healthy and Fulmer has a higher ceiling.  That doesn't mean it will stop Avila from calling him up first, though.

I don't trust Sanchez anymore to come in and give a consistent performance, and I haven't for awhile, but he's Venezuelan.  When was the last time the Tigers didn't hold onto a veteran Venezuelan player?

I don't see a scenario where a healthy anibal isn't in the rotation, at least right now.

We are theoretically getting spoiled by having three seemingly legit starters pitching in Toledo. But we won't be the only team with that problem and all of the Toledo guys still have a bit to prove before truly feeling they are blocked.

The twins have berrios stashed in aaa. The pirates have Glasgow stuck in aaa.

It's great having the potential depth.

Tonight (4/21) Norris had 6K in 4 IP but walked 3 and got knocked around for 5 runs on 5 hits in his 2nd inning. Last night Farmer gave up 1ER in 3IP to begin his stretch out process.

Side Notes: Parnell is beginning to have some success in relief - 1 ER giving up across 4 appearances.

But maybe the best number from the Hens is that the Steven Moya has only 7 K in 45 AB. On the downside he isn't walking and hasn't hit a dinger in his last 35 AB either.

HaHa - Saturday the Mudhens send out 5 pitchers against Charlotte to combine for a no-hitter. Not one of them was one of our prospective prodigies. The only pitcher involved projected to see Detroit this season was Bobby Parnell, who threw the ninth. Go figure.

Farmer  - worked only two today - relatively inefficient at 40 pitches but a good result - 1H, 1BB, 2K, 0ER. Toledo subsequently lost after Buck had gone to the showers.

Side note: Moya wth two HRs. Now at 58 AB, Moya still holding his K rate under 20%.

4/25

Norris' night to go, and he does OK  6IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB,5K. Less than a baserunner per inning. He did not get a decision and the Hens eventually lost the game.

How long of a rope does Sanchez get before Norris or Boyd get a shot?

How worried should we be about Pelfrey's  BB:K?

What is the market like for Upton vs Moya?  I know Mr. I isn't worried about the luxury tax, but Upton's return could harvest a nice return and Moya is an investment that is ready to be realized--one way or another.

59 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

How long of a rope does Sanchez get before Norris or Boyd get a shot?

How worried should we be about Pelfrey's  BB:K?

What is the market like for Upton vs Moya?  I know Mr. I isn't worried about the luxury tax, but Upton's return could harvest a nice return and Moya is an investment that is ready to be realized--one way or another.

One caveat with Moya is still only one walk in about 60 PA. I want a little more time to see if he can really can keep that K rate down to something reasonable without walking at all. 

However if he does keep this up, you do have to find a way to get a LH power bat in the lineup. I'd give you odds Joe Madden would at least look at Upton in CF, don't know if the Tigers can get themselves that far outside the box.

• Like 1

Friday night the Mudhens with Boyd going against Charlotte.

4.2IP, 6H, 3ER, 4K, 4BB,    104 pitches! He will not get a decision.

Boyd will need some training table action tonight for sure.  I like him, but you have to wonder how this is all going to play out for him. 

When I heard Fulmer was getting called up, I wondered if that was going to end up being a permanent move.  Avila doesn't mind being aggressive, it seems, so we'll see.  With even an average HP umpire, his performance could have been even better tonight. 

Green just seems like a natural to come out of the pen, I think happens eventually this season as bad as KRod has looked.

When Norris is ready to come up, I really expect Pelfrey or Sanchez to either hit the DL and/or the market.

It is crazy, Moya just won't walk.  Boesch all over again offensively.

Fulmer would have been devastating if he could have commanded that change, but it almost seemed that as soon as he tried to break it out in the 5th, his lack of command of the change infected the FB as well. Hopefully just a fatigue effect, but he needs some innings to work through that.

I actually think Blakney helped more than hurt - he was calling a LOT of strikes - esp early. and it had the hitters off balance. I don't think Fulmer was  challenged to be perfect in the zone very much.

You look at Norris, Fulmer and Greene and they are hard to compare because they represent three very different styles. With Fulmer you get a plus-plus fastball and killer slider, but he has to prove he is not Jeremy Bonderman (who could also dominate a RH hitting lineup). Norris probably has all three plus pitches and JV level live FB, but just seems to still go off the rails a bit too much yet. Greene has great stuff and all the pitches if he can just get clear of that black cloud that seems to hang around him. I really have no guess which of them is likely to finish this season with the most MLB victories.

• Like 1

Norris with a pretty rocky start at a rain shortened game at Charlotte. Another of those games where it fell apart only briefly, but badly. Gave up 5 runs (4 earned) in the second when he bunched 2 walks, a HBP, and two line drives, plus some loose IF play by the Hens for the final run.

Final line:

3 IP, 5H, 5R 4ER, 2BB, 3K

Maybin with a HR and double in this one.

48 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Norris with a pretty rocky start at a rain shortened game at Charlotte. Another of those games where it fell apart only briefly, but badly. Gave up 5 runs (4 earned) in the second when he bunched 2 walks, a HBP, and two line drives, plus some loose IF play by the Hens for the final run.

Final line:

3 IP, 5H, 5R 4ER, 2BB, 3K

Maybin with a HR and double in this one.

Yuck.

Good thing we don't need him yet.  I hope he can iron out the wrinkles over the next six weeks or so.

Maybin is doing what he should be, godspeed.

Been out of town a bit an haven't keep this up - so a brief recap

5/4 - Matt Boyd with an excellent outing against Gwinette. 8IP, 0ER, 0BB, 3K.  The last number not so impressive.

5/6 - Norris with more problems. 2.1 IP, 8H, 7R though he did have 5K.  Kid seems to pitch better in the majors than the minors - go figure....

Fulmer - made his last start for the Tigers, failed to retire any of the 1st LH batters he faced - more as or less as could have been predicted going against Cleveland. Lots of talent there but he needs an off speed pitch to throw to LH batters before he can be considered seriously for the MLB.

Boyd now with back to back appearances without an earned run allowed:

5/10 against Louisville: 6.1IP, 4H, 0R, 4K, 1BB

Hens lost the game after Matt departed.

Boyd's lack of K's and his relatively advanced age (25) are concerns - I hope it doesn't mean he ends up being a AAAA guy.

NOTE: Moya's K rate has drifted up to 24% from the 20% he started the season with. If he could hit at the majors and keep his K's to 25% he'd likely be fine. Still long stretches with no walks though - his current walkless streak is 6 games.

Thanks for the update G2.

I'm thinking Boyd's ceiling from back-end starter should be lowered to middle reliever.  And as shallow as our SP are going into games--on the whole--that's OK.  They will need him sometime.

Norris is an MLB pitcher, and if he is sound of body, he needs to be put into the rotation.

As frustrating as Moya's strike zone management is, it can't be any worse than watching Upton's hips fly out every time he swings regardless of  the location of the pitch.  Absolutely maddening.

Well Norris is up to the club now, question is who's spot in the rotation will he be taking next week?

9+era and he gets recalled?  I'm really kind of stunned.  I was thinking that he was suffering something. 

Well Norris is up to the club now, question is who's spot in the rotation will he be taking next week?

Good question. My thought would be that if he was taking fulmer's spot, fulmer would have been sent down. Perhaps he is here to provide backup if pelfrey struggles in his next start.

19 hours ago, Shelton said:

Good question. My thought would be that if he was taking fulmer's spot, fulmer would have been sent down. Perhaps he is here to provide backup if pelfrey struggles in his next start.

I don't think Fulmer is going anywhere.  Pelfrey to the DL while they watch the young guys work for a bit.

19 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

9+era and he gets recalled?  I'm really kind of stunned.  I was thinking that he was suffering something. 

He was quoted as saying his time in Toledo has been more like his ST than anything, which makes sense but yeah--his command says he isn't ready on paper.