Jump to content

mickeyb105

Vegas State of Mind Thread

Recommended Posts

We sit down tonight to watch MasterChef and one of the contestants is David Williams.  

He has a WSOP ME 2nd place finish and a WPT title.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

We sit down tonight to watch MasterChef and one of the contestants is David Williams.  

He has a WSOP ME 2nd place finish and a WPT title.  

I saw him tweet something about MasterChef conflicting with watching the FT of the Super High Roller at Rio tonight, didn't realize he was actually on it--cool.  David's a bright guy who could probably be good at about anything he wanted to be.  He's that rare guy who actually improved his game quite a bit after making a ton of money in the ME.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny, the under 30 generation of poker players loves to proclaim how bad of a player Phil Hellmuth is any chance they get.

And then he comes in 4th for $1.6M in the Super High Roller Bowl.  They probably need to STFU.  Hellmuth may be one of the most annoying players on the planet, but he can still play tournament poker as well as anyone. 

number12.png

Oh yeah, Erik Seidel came in 3rd for $2.4M.  Nice day for the old guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always felt Phil is the best tournament player ever, or at least in the discussion.  

But he is a pretty bad cash game player.  I mean compared to other great cash game players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I have always felt Phil is the best tournament player ever, or at least in the discussion.  

But he is a pretty bad cash game player.  I mean compared to other great cash game players.

I feel pretty good about saying that Phil is one of the five best live NLHE tournament players ever.

I also feel pretty good about saying that Hellmuth is an underdog to win money at most NLHE cash games above $5-$10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone hit the bad beat this week and they didn't pay him.  Apparently he had talked to management sometime ago and imposed a self ban on himself from the casino.  So they dumped his money back into the jackpot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Someone hit the bad beat this week and they didn't pay him.  Apparently he had talked to management sometime ago and imposed a self ban on himself from the casino.  So they dumped his money back into the jackpot.

 

I don't even know where to begin with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the KidPoker documentary this weekend.  

Overall it was pretty good.  You could definitely tell his sponsor made the doc though. It was just a bit too positive for my taste, nobody is that squeaky clean.

There was a small mention of him having no BR management skills, and one time being drunk and playing in a game for his entire roll. Other than that, Daniel is perfect.  At least according to this documentary.  

I also started it at 4AM after I got home, so maybe I didn't view it in the best frame of mind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I watched the KidPoker documentary this weekend.  

Overall it was pretty good.  You could definitely tell his sponsor made the doc though. It was just a bit too positive for my taste, nobody is that squeaky clean.

There was a small mention of him having no BR management skills, and one time being drunk and playing in a game for his entire roll. Other than that, Daniel is perfect.  At least according to this documentary.  

I also started it at 4AM after I got home, so maybe I didn't view it in the best frame of mind.  

I am going to start off by saying that I think Daniel is one of the most important poker players of all-time.  He is personable, mostly genuine, generous with his time/energy, and he's helped out many of his buddies when nobody else would touch them (E-Dog, Carlos, and Morrison to name a few).  

His ability to cross over to to the mainstream and leave a positive impression/impact on casual players and fans helps insure the game's growth to a certain degree.

That said, Daniel is most certainly human and he always has been.  He once wrote (Bluff Mag maybe?) that he attempted to move out to Vegas nine times before he was able to stick around town as a winning player.  Games were built around him, and the broke when he left.  He played drunk a lot, which is probably why it took him so long to win in LV.  My guess is when Morrison left town the first time, that it helped him slow his life down.

There is more, but I'm going to watch the doc before touching on it.  I find it ironic that the film maker took poker's most accessible superstar and made a puff piece.  It is Daniel's honesty and willingness to correspond with the general public that has made him beloved.  Not just his bracelets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

I am going to start off by saying that I think Daniel is one of the most important poker players of all-time.  He is personable, mostly genuine, generous with his time/energy, and he's helped out many of his buddies when nobody else would touch them (E-Dog, Carlos, and Morrison to name a few).  

His ability to cross over to to the mainstream and leave a positive impression/impact on casual players and fans helps insure the game's growth to a certain degree.

That said, Daniel is most certainly human and he always has been.  He once wrote (Bluff Mag maybe?) that he attempted to move out to Vegas nine times before he was able to stick around town as a winning player.  Games were built around him, and the broke when he left.  He played drunk a lot, which is probably why it took him so long to win in LV.  My guess is when Morrison left town the first time, that it helped him slow his life down.

There is more, but I'm going to watch the doc before touching on it.  I find it ironic that the film maker took poker's most accessible superstar and made a puff piece.  It is Daniel's honesty and willingness to correspond with the general public that has made him beloved.  Not just his bracelets.

They mentioned everything you touched on.  I just didn't feel it was enough.  Maybe I'm being too hard on the maker of the doc.  I'm anxious to hear what others think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I watched the KidPoker documentary this weekend.  

Overall it was pretty good.  You could definitely tell his sponsor made the doc though. It was just a bit too positive for my taste, nobody is that squeaky clean.

There was a small mention of him having no BR management skills, and one time being drunk and playing in a game for his entire roll. Other than that, Daniel is perfect.  At least according to this documentary.  

I also started it at 4AM after I got home, so maybe I didn't view it in the best frame of mind.  

Ok, I watched KidPoker doc and it was pretty good as you said.

Daniel played drunk quite a bit back in 99-03 or so, according to what I've heard over the years.  He was running with Huck Seed and a few other party animals back then.  Drugs have been implied, but not specifically mentioned.  I also heard he started to party again after his divorce, when he was playing some of the worst poker of his career.

Some things that were left out of the doc were odd.  His backing arrangements--both as a horse and stable owner--were not discussed.  I would have loved to have heard more about that.  Also, his marriage was COMPLETELY left out.  That shocking to me.  I mean, they show Evelyn Ng quite a bit at the beginning and they were just dating.

I also hoped his "residency" at Wynn would be featured, but not a peep about it.  Daniel took on some of the best players in the world at their respective events while he held court there, and for big money.

It was cool to see some of his public spats documented.  I would have liked to have seen the filmmaker touch upon his feud with Annie Duke to give preface to his rant on Full-Tilt/ Lederer.

It was also cool they mentioned his agent, Brian Balsbaugh, who is the head man at Poker Royalty--who represents a fair number of the best poker players in the world.  I met Balsbaugh's partner--James Sullivan--at a wedding years back.  Once my wife told him that I had written for Poker Pro and had lived in LV, it seemed we had a few thing to talk about--lol. 

I had a feeling that Daniel's self-help peeps, Choice Center, would make an appearance in the Doc.  They way they were talked about at the end made it feel  like they underwrote the project . . . and that kind of gave me a saccharine feel.  When I saw Antonio featured so much, I had a feeling.  Perhaps Choice Center is the real deal, but man do they sound something akin to Scientology.

Finally, I was glad to see Daniel's win at the USPC featured.  I played with the guy he was heads-up with, Jon Bonetti, at Camp Hellmuth a decade ago when he was still alive.  Bonetti was such a funny dude, and he had great stories about everyone--including Daniel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Choice Center stuff really caught me off guard.  I had no clue he was involved in stuff like that.  I actually had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

The Choice Center stuff really caught me off guard.  I had no clue he was involved in stuff like that.  I actually had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right. 

2+2 was really hammering away at Daniel for his affiliation and endorsement of Choice Center a few years ago.  I don't go on 2+2 much at all these days, but I have to assume that it is still discussed from time-to-time.

His business, his money, his life.

One of the themes I took from the doc was just how hard on you playing poker for a living is.  I'm sure that most people who have done it for years at a high level need some sort of process that tears them down/builds them up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michigan Senate Committee Approves Online Poker Bill

Quote

There is still a ways to go before becoming legal, but Michigan’s consideration of online casinos took a big step forward Wednesday when a Senate committee approved a piece of legislation on the table.

The Regulatory Reform Committee signed off on the plan by a vote of 8-1. According to the Poker Players Alliance, a grassroots lobbying group on Capitol Hill, the bill moves to the Senate floor for a possible vote. There isn’t currently a companion online casino bill in the Michigan House.

Quote

The current legislative session ends this month, so if online poker has real momentum in Michigan it will likely been seen in the coming weeks. State Sen. Mike Kowall, the sponsor of the online casino bill, is the Senate Majority Floor Leader.

Michigan Online Poker Bill Proceeds to Senate Floor

Quote

Hope for online poker in Michigan, where State Senator Mike Kowall’s (R-White Lake) SB 889 was passed by the Regulatory Reform Committee by a vote of 8-1. Next stop, Senate floor.

Kowall has said he is “confident” that the bill will pass this year, but it needs to get its skates on; the current legislative session ends at the end of this month.

Things may bode well in the Senate, where Kowall is the majority floor leader but there is currently no companion bill in the House, or for that matter, much talk of authorizing and regulating online poker.

Michigan moves forward with bill to regulate online poker

Quote

SB 889 stipulates that online gambling operating licenses will be restricted to tribal casinos and Michigan commercial casinos already in possession of a license, and a maximum of eight licenses will be issued. The up-front cost to obtain a license will be $5 million and there will be a $100,000 application fee that would be an advance payment of Internet wagering taxes.

That last paragraph is what gets me.  I have always felt the B&M guys used their lobbyists to force the Feds into the whole Black Friday situation.  Just for this reason, so now any online people have to partner with B&M places to operate in a jurisdiction.  

Follow the bill here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4wnlmgkiwalbbow3p3de0elx))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2016-SB-0889

Text of the bill here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2016-SIB-0889.htm

Some of my own thoughts.

They are going to tax it 10% on gross.  Seems pretty fair to me.

But this language in the bill gets me excited:

Quote

(5) Notwithstanding anything else in this act, a wager may be accepted from an individual who is not physically present in this state if the division determines that the wager is not inconsistent with federal law or the law of the jurisdiction, including any foreign nation, in which the individual is located or that the wagering is conducted under a multijurisdictional agreement to which this state is a party that is not inconsistent with federal law.

To me, that sounds like this bill opens up the possibility of linking up to other states and even other countries.  

Mr. Kowall can expect a nice check from me this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Michigan Senate Committee Approves Online Poker Bill

Michigan Online Poker Bill Proceeds to Senate Floor

Michigan moves forward with bill to regulate online poker

That last paragraph is what gets me.  I have always felt the B&M guys used their lobbyists to force the Feds into the whole Black Friday situation.  Just for this reason, so now any online people have to partner with B&M places to operate in a jurisdiction.  

Follow the bill here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4wnlmgkiwalbbow3p3de0elx))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2016-SB-0889

Text of the bill here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2016-SIB-0889.htm

Some of my own thoughts.

They are going to tax it 10% on gross.  Seems pretty fair to me.

But this language in the bill gets me excited:

To me, that sounds like this bill opens up the possibility of linking up to other states and even other countries.  

Mr. Kowall can expect a nice check from me this week.

This is overall good news!!!

the 10% vig is tough, but on par with Italy to my understanding.  Hopefully you won't just play other Michiganders--even if it is eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

FK was spreading Seven-Card Stud yesterday.  

First time I have seen them doing that.  

Well dip me in axle grease and call me big slick!

Like $1-5 spread limit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Well dip me in axle grease and call me big slick!

Like $1-5 spread limit? 

I didn't notice to be honest.  Long game though, started around 3:30PM I was told and it was still going when we left around 10PM.  

I might jump in if one is going this weekend.  I grew up watching my dad and uncles playing Stud and its where I cut my teeth.  Although it was usually Chicago, but we called it Black Mariah.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I didn't notice to be honest.  Long game though, started around 3:30PM I was told and it was still going when we left around 10PM.  

I might jump in if one is going this weekend.  I grew up watching my dad and uncles playing Stud and its where I cut my teeth.  Although it was usually Chicago, but we called it Black Mariah.  

Low-limit stud is a hoot, I can usually count on being the youngest player at the table even up to 20-40.  Hard to find stud high that high unless you are in like one of six rooms in the country.

I've only played Chicago a few times, great action game.  It always makes me think of the jail scene in Rounders.

"Was that supposed to be your big finish or something?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking back, there was an awful lot of Stud in that movie.  I also think of the cigar store scene.  

Quote

I have what's known as the wheel. It's got earthy tones a smooth draw and enough kick to win me the high and the low

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Thinking back, there was an awful lot of Stud in that movie.  I also think of the cigar store scene.  

 

"I have what's known as the wheel.  Known for its earthy tones, with enough kick to win the high and the low."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a 8 years ago I read a very lengthy post by 2+2 forum member "Dynasty", who kept and maybe still keeps track of traffic patterns in all the Vegas card rooms.  

He had a theory that the massive popularity of NLHE cash games would eventually wipe out the positive effect of the poker boom.  His reasoning was basically that NL cash games drain the money from the fish and below-average players faster than limit games.  Further, he felt the swings would discourage the fish from reloading and they wouldn't keep coming back.

It seems like the post came not long after Neteller shut down American players, and that the difficulty of easy access to both depositing and withdrawing money was factored into why bad players wouldn't return and new players wouldn't take a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see some truth to that.  

But table games probably drain peoples wallets faster than poker does.  And they never lack for customers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,320
    • Total Posts
      2,855,739
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...