On 7/21/2016 at 9:28 AM, mickeyb105 said:

For those of us who play--or have played--poker more than occasionally at public poker room, it is no secret that women face sexism on a higher level than they probably experience in "real life".  Well, unless they work in food and beverage or Wall Street.  As a dealer or a cocktail server, a certain amount of sexism is tolerated by staff in a similar fashion to the way it is tolerated by a female bartender or waitress.

That said, it is safe to say that being motorboated by WSOP Media Director Nolan Dalla on the set of Poker after Dark crosses the line.  Add in that the motorboatee is Jewish, and had to listen to anti-semitic comments from Dalla and two other guys while she was there, and it should have the makings of someone getting fired for conduct detrimental to the company's brand.

v3-56f26b60d39043be208b45aa.jpg

Dr. Jaclynn Moskow has told (the rest of) her story here.

Some of the old guard has come out to defend Dalla--Daniel, Shaun Deeb, and a few others--and I'm not sure what leg they have to stand on at this point. 

I'm curious what Dalla, who's drinking problem is no secret in the poker world, has to say to his Stu Ungar (Jewish) biography co-author Peter Alson (who also Jewish) about all this.

As if poker didn't have a hard enough time getting good PR, now this.

Poker players in general are pretty miserable people.  You will find 'anti' everything all over the place in a poker room.  I would be pretty surprised if he just went up to her and stuck his face in her boobs without SOME kind of ok from her.  

11 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Poker players in general are pretty miserable people.  You will find 'anti' everything all over the place in a poker room.  I would be pretty surprised if he just went up to her and stuck his face in her boobs without SOME kind of ok from her.  

Very nice attempt to excuse horrid behavior because people are horrid. Excellent logical reasoning. And then to top it off with laying blame on the victim. Even better. 

You really hit this one out of the park. 

One of the major draws of playing poker online was, indeed, not having to sit at a poker table with up to nine other poker players.

However, playing at a jovial table--not quite a unicorn in the poker world, let's call it an endangered species--is a real treat at least for me.

On women at the poker table, it is hard enough to get women to play in poker rooms across the country without the flagrant harassment.  I knew Dalla was a loose canon of sorts, but to have this out in public is bad for the growth of the game.  I personally know a half-dozen female players who will not play in public rooms because they are too nervous to---mostly because they don't want to be the only female at the table.

I know that JBK and Del both have ladies that play, so they may have differing views on this, but my sister-in-law loves poker but won't even play when we go to Vegas.

10 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

One of the major draws of playing poker online was, indeed, not having to sit at a poker table with up to nine other poker players.

However, playing at a jovial table--not quite a unicorn in the poker world, let's call it an endangered species--is a real treat at least for me.

On women at the poker table, it is hard enough to get women to play in poker rooms across the country without the flagrant harassment.  I knew Dalla was a loose canon of sorts, but to have this out in public is bad for the growth of the game.  I personally know a half-dozen female players who will not play in public rooms because they are too nervous to---mostly because they don't want to be the only female at the table.

I know that JBK and Del both have ladies that play, so they may have differing views on this, but my sister-in-law loves poker but won't even play when we go to Vegas.

Depends on the woman.  This may be non PC or insensitive or whatever, but if I was a woman and wanted to play poker I would dress either normal or in sweat pants etc and not have my boobs hanging out.  In the same vein if I owned a Ferrari or something I would not drive it in the hood.

And this is not a 'she asked for it' comment.  Men SHOULD be able to keep themselves in check and act responsibly, I would just not 'expect' that in a poker room filled mostly with degens.

My wife sometimes lets the girls out when we play because she thinks it gives her an edge, but she is strong enough to not think twice about the lewd comments.

Men at the poker table are awful towards women.  Huge pet peeve of mine since we need these women to start donat...err playing to grow the sport.

My girlfriend waited tables to put herself through college so she was sort of used to it.  But she wanted me to play at her table for the first few months sort of as a security blanket I guess.

She has a big advantage in having an extremely sharp tongue and she isn't afraid to use it.  Guys tend to get the hint after a smart comment or two and back off.  I'm sure it also helps, at least with the regulars, that everyone knows she is with me.

Restaurants are probably the worst though.  Female employees get it from customers, other employees, management, and owners.  If I was a lawyer I would walk into the most expensive restaurant in town and just hand my card to every female employee.  You would probably win a sexual harassment suit for about 80% of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Restaurants are probably the worst though.  Female employees get it from customers, other employees, management, and owners.  If I was a lawyer I would walk into the most expensive restaurant in town and just hand my card to every female employee.  You would probably win a sexual harassment suit for about 80% of them.

Way better than printing money--good idea here.

13 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Depends on the woman.  This may be non PC or insensitive or whatever, but if I was a woman and wanted to play poker I would dress either normal or in sweat pants etc and not have my boobs hanging out.  In the same vein if I owned a Ferrari or something I would not drive it in the hood.

And this is not a 'she asked for it' comment.

Except that it is.

And for the record, I have seen no shortage of dudes wearing ridiculous get ups that I would be ashamed to wear in public, and very few call them on it.

The idea women should dress a certain way to discourage commentary is tired.  All a guy needs to do is not be an ***hole.

This is not an unreasonable standard.

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And for the record, I have seen no shortage of dudes wearing ridiculous get ups that I would be ashamed to wear in public, and very few call them on it.

The idea women should dress a certain way to discourage commentary is tired.  All a guy needs to do is not be an ***hole.

This is not an unreasonable standard.

I can understand a wardrobe misstep, perhaps, if they were just dying to give their money away and had to throw *something* on.

What I can never understand--two things. 

1.  Don't show up and stink.

2.  Don't play poker with pink eye or an bronchitis-level hack.

On women at the table, there's just no excuse to go full creepster if you are a guy.  Act like you've seen a living, breathing female.  Being a jerk is an effective strategy for some players, but sexual harassment is never OK.

That said, there is a male associate at my wife's office that women openly hit on all the time and it is crazy.  Think Chris Evans, complete with nice guy schtick, salt and pepper hair.  This guy gets hit on in elevators, court rooms, or wherever even though he rocks the wedding band and has no problem announcing his status to aggro females.  It's almost like women want to push it, just to see if they can wear him down.

Yes, the guy is capable of fending for himself but at some point I think it is OK to ask--why is it OK for women to harass the daylights out of a handsome man just because they can?

I guess I have never seen a subset of women harass the **** out of a handsome guy, but to be fair, I don't know any 99th percentile handsome guys, so maybe it is a thing for them.

Out of my group of friends, only a few I am aware of have had someone come up at a bar or restaurant and openly flirt as you describe.  I had it happen to me exactly once some 20 years ago, and I misplayed it pretty badly, in part because I figured it was a gag my friends were pulling on me or a bar bet of some sort.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I have never seen a subset of women harass the **** out of a handsome guy, but to be fair, I don't know any 99th percentile handsome guys, so maybe it is a thing for them.

Out of my group of friends, only a few I am aware of have had someone come up at a bar or restaurant and openly flirt as you describe.  I had it happen to me exactly once some 20 years ago, and I misplayed it pretty badly, in part because I figured it was a gag my friends were pulling on me or a bar bet of some sort.

Biggs, this guy is movie star good looking.  I took headshots for everyone at my wife's office about 16 months ago, and I post-processied the batch of pics right after with my almost four-year-old daughter sitting right next to me.

Me:  Want to see some pictures of Mommy?

Daughter:  Did you take them, Daddy?

Me:  I did, remember yesterday . . .

Daughter:  (stopping me mid-sentence and cutting between me and the monitor) Ooooh, who's that?  He's haaaandsome!

Me:  (turning off the monitor) OK, let's get our shoes on and go outside.

I've only seen one other man with that type of appeal, and I don't have too many stories that are safe to tell about him (what happens in Vegas, you know the drill) on a public forum.  He was a hedge fund guy by day, and he tended bar (mostly with me) three nights or so per week.  

There really is a book in there somewhere.

A bad beat that haunts you for 20 years, that's cruel.

Was just looking on Airbnb for the first two weeks of June for Vegas.  Plenty of extremely reasonably priced places.  

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15373822?checkin=06%2F01%2F2017&checkout=06%2F12%2F2017&guests=1&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=N4EoUEdL

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4404609?guests=2&adults=2&s=5CHWYa6M&check_in=2017-06-01&check_out=2017-06-12

I'm positive we aren't going.  I should probably stop looking.  

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, Deleterious said:

Was just looking on Airbnb for the first two weeks of June for Vegas.  Plenty of extremely reasonably priced places.  

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15373822?checkin=06%2F01%2F2017&checkout=06%2F12%2F2017&guests=1&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=N4EoUEdL

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4404609?guests=2&adults=2&s=5CHWYa6M&check_in=2017-06-01&check_out=2017-06-12

I'm positive we aren't going.  I should probably stop looking.  

I know it has been very reasonable in years past to get a place. 

Hey, looking costs nothing ;)