69 bracelets will be awarded this year.  There are some changes.

Something for Everyone This Year - Anyone Can Enter and Anyone Can Win

There are several exciting new enhancements for players this year. They include:

• Revamping the Places Paid in events, to increase payouts to 15% of the field - up 50% from the previous 10% standard. (Majority of events)
  • In the Money Earlier - With payouts increasing to 15% of the field, we expect to reach the money earlier in events, including many on Day 1!
  • New Start Times - Check your start times closely. We have moved the majority of events to 11am and 3pm starts - up one hour from previous. But there are several 10am events still, so please review your events carefully.
  • Five Times Starting Chips - All $10,000 buy-in events this year will get 50,000 starting chips - including the Main Event - up 66% from previous years and now in line with all other events getting at least five times buy-in in chips.
  • Structure Tweaks - We have provided structure sheets for each event on the schedule page. Please review (and even download) as some events have been tweaked in an effort to aid events meeting scheduled duration.

Full schedule here.

The main event starts on July 9th.  

I have lost contact with him.  But my former neighbor has a group of himself and three friends that pay $2,500 a year and one of them goes to play the ME.  I think this was his year to play.  They were going to split any winnings.

And of course The Colossus will be the 2nd most talked about even this year.  They are guaranteeing a $7M prize pool.  

You can stream most events live online at the WSOP site.  Well, live as in a 15 minute delay or whatever they use.

I'm not going to sugar coat it--I hate the direction tournament poker has gone in the decade+ I've been playing it.  I hate paying 15% of the field.  Can I assume they are taking it from almost exclusively FT money?

Starting a WSOP tourney at 10am is pretty early for most players, but with starting stacks getting so big over the last several years I expect to see a fair amount of players going the Hellmouth route and showing up a minimum of 90 minutes late.

Back to starting stacks, they have become far too big and common.  Take starting stacks back to where they were 8-10 years ago and more than a few events would make the money in day-1.

Your neighbor's group has a system I like.  I remember hearing about Steve Danneman's group back when he came in second in 2005, how they hold their own SnG and send the winner--kinda reminds me of that, but everyone gets a turn if they can wait four years.

Although I've passed on buying a piece of my friend Peter Alson the past two years, I'm thinking about taking a decent piece of him this year.  The wife suggested it last year, but I acted too late and he sold all his shares before I could act.

The girl has shown a little interest in the WSOP.  It will depend on our schedules, but we are tentatively planning to go in 2017 I think.  

I think the best use of our money might mean skipping the ME.  Maybe go out the first two weeks in June and play as many $1,500-$2,500 events as we can fit it in, plus The Colossus.  We could probably get 5-7 events in that way.  Plus we could always go back in July if we had enough fun and/or cashed a bit.

That also means we will most likely start playing the Sunday tournament at FK.  

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I was tempted to pull the trigger on this.  But I'm pretty anal and need time to plan everything out.  

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3966878

Vdara really gives you a lot of bang-for-buck with the full kitchens, washers and dryers, etc . . .  Not a bad way to go if you are staying for a week or two.  Bellagio and Aria's poker room is a short walk from there, not to mention their awesome restaurants if you don't feel like cooking in the room.

I have had some friends who have done some short-term rentals off-strip and have been very happy as well.  Platinum is a solid place to start if you dig the condo thing.  For a house, do it cheap in Henderson or step it up in Summerlin where Doyle lives.

When I lived out there, I was in an area about 10 min south of Summerlin renting a bedroom for $500 mo.  Free utilities, cable, internet and laundry service.  I'm not saying you should do this, just saying deals are out there.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The girl has shown a little interest in the WSOP.  It will depend on our schedules, but we are tentatively planning to go in 2017 I think.  

I think the best use of our money might mean skipping the ME.  Maybe go out the first two weeks in June and play as many $1,500-$2,500 events as we can fit it in, plus The Colossus.  We could probably get 5-7 events in that way.  Plus we could always go back in July if we had enough fun and/or cashed a bit.

That also means we will most likely start playing the Sunday tournament at FK.  

I strongly suggest sharpening up your STT game if you are going to play in the lower-B.I. tourneys.  The satellites are soft and cheap, starting at $170. 

Ultra-small sample size, but I chopped one of these $170 STT in my only entry after hearing from multiple sources how soft they were.  I regret entering several that year, but I was playing so much cash game at the time, and winning good, that I didn't do it.  The STT I entered that June was my first live STT in over a year, I warmed up playing STTs on FTP though.

Get out there the last few days in May if you can, the cash games and satellites are really going off about that time.

21 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I strongly suggest sharpening up your STT game if you are going to play in the lower-B.I. tourneys.  The satellites are soft and cheap, starting at $170. 

Ultra-small sample size, but I chopped one of these $170 STT in my only entry after hearing from multiple sources how soft they were.  I regret entering several that year, but I was playing so much cash game at the time, and winning good, that I didn't do it.  The STT I entered that June was my first live STT in over a year, I warmed up playing STTs on FTP though.

Get out there the last few days in May if you can, the cash games and satellites are really going off about that time.

I'm willing to play some Sunday events but thats about it.  I'm not going to put a lot of time and effort into tournaments.  Honest truth, I would probably go out there, get in some good cash games and end up not playing a single event in the WSOP.  

Gotcha.  FYI, the STTs chop quite a bit, and last about an hour.

The cash games that surround WSOP--Rio, Bellagio, Wynn, Venetian especially--are as good as everyone says.  Even smaller rooms catch the fever.

We randomly played a $65 satellite on Friday.  Top 20% move onto the $250, top 20% from that moves onto the MSPT main event in May.

I didn't even make it halfway.  She did fairly well and came a few spots from the top 20%.  

Not sure if we will play more or not, but it was a nice change of pace.  

Satellites are a great way to take a shot for cheap, given that you have the time to go through the process.  I miss playing them online.

Absolutely nothing wrong with mixing it up every now and then!

I need to stop watching Youtube.  Sat down to watch some highlights from GnR's Vegas and Coachella shows, almost bought tickets.

Man do they sound good.  I was happy to see they are doing Attitude, the old Misfits cover.  

Their entire 2h25m Vegas show is online.

Slash is still a stud on the axe, the music brings back memories.  Welcome to the Jungle was one of the songs we came out to for warmups.  Us and half of the other suburban teams--lol.

I don't even know what to call it.  But I would love some sort of stat on Golden State saying how often they took a close 3rd/4th quarter game and turned it into an absolute blowout.  

The BBJ over at Motor City is almost 500,000 right now.  It was 479,000 on Saturday when we were there.  Did not get to play we were #116 and 117 on the list.  Quads over quads.

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Wow, it takes quads/quads to take down that BBJ?  Aces over Kings or better down here.

It seems to change quite a bit.  It used to be Aces over Jacks at Greektown.  Depending on how much it is depends on what it is I think.  Motor City used to be Aces over Kings a ways back, but I have not actually played in that room in like 5-6 years probably.  The smoking at Motor City was unreal.  We only lasted a quick walk around before we HAD to get out and get some air.  Greektown was MUCH better.  Motor City needs to update their air filtration or something.  It was REALLY bad.

We probably should have just gone to Windsor.

I definitely think so.

the Colossus is the event of the people right now, perhaps similar to how the $1,500 NLHE used to be back in the early-mid 2000s.  

The $10K ME has lost a lot of prestige over the years with the addition of the 50K HORSE, One Drop, and various high roller events over the years.  I see a day where it is displaced, although I don't necessarily root for that day.

54 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

What kind of satellites do you prefer?  STT or MTT?

I am a far better at STT, probably due to the simpler ICM.  Anything more than four tables and I really feel variance starts to play a bigger role than I want.  Also, the STT is a smaller time investment.  I will usually chop two-ways if asked, but I won't always ask to chop.  The fields can be very soft for these, even for big events.

Back in the online days, I played a ton of STT and $24 token tournaments.  The token tournaments were kind of a bread and butter for me.  18 players, $6+.60 entry, 4 players get T$24 tokens and fifth gets $4.40.  I would roll this into the level higher tournament, where the token was the entry fee, top 3 gets T-$75 and 4th gets maybe $42(?).  The T-$75 token could be rolled into a WPTor WSOP  feeder MTT that was like a $209+16 B.I. or an FTOPS event, or a Sunday event.

I really miss that, just loading up on those tokens and taking shots with minimum BR investment.

With growth stalling out in the mid-6,000 range post-Black Friday--and down from 8,773 the year Jamie Gold won in 2006--I do wonder if Caesars Entertainment  is content to let growth stall.  They have proliferated events like the One-Drop, $50K HORSE/Mixed Game and Millionaire Maker at the expense of some of the Main Event's prestige, but it seems like they are OK with that.  Once internet poker becomes legal in more than a few states, I'm very interested in if they will run online feeder tournaments like they used to--those were a ton of fun, even though I never hit paydirt on the three or four I entered.