Motor City Sonics

FREEP:Datsyuk is leaving

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/mitch-albom/2016/04/10/albom-wings-datsyuk-column/82835594/

It was a great career, but it's been obvious the second half of this season that he's done.   He really hasn't been that effective this year.   I think the Wings have to eat the Cap number, which probably prevents them from landing Stamkos.  

Honestly, I still think he's a great player, but I really soured on him with the 2014 Olympics.    He was too injured to play for the Wings for weeks, got healthy two games before the Olympic break, was the best player on the ice, came back and was suddenly injured again.   That always really bothered me about him.   The Wings pay him, the Russians don't (that we know of).    

• Like 1

I mentioned that to a friend on Facebook and I was accused of hijacking the story he posted on Datsyuk.      Sorry, but that's what happens when you are a journalist that fabricates a story and you are still is allowed to write - you will ALWAYS be questioned.   Albom makes me sick.    He did the equivalent of what Pete Rose did for baseball.   There is one thing,  ONE thing that someone in your profession can never ever do - and Albom did it.    So nobody should get ****-hurt when it always comes up.   He should have been fired.  

• Like 1

Why would they have to eat his cap number if he retires?

He was over 35 when he signed his last deal.

I believe it is an attempt to prevent teams from signing aging veterans to a wink wink long term deal to lessen cap hit and the player subsequently retiring 2 years later or whatever.

I am guessing the three year deal was pushed on him Holland? Take the risk. Assume you could have talked him back. Sucks to take the hit but I can't blame the guy. Family comes first. He didn't make the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I can totally blame the guy. He signed a contract and his agent would have known and told him that leaving before it is up would screw the Wings on the cap hit.

He has long off seasons to spend with his daughter. He has the money to fund trips by his daughter to visit with him in, say, California, Florida and NYC during the season or I am sure the Wings would gladly play for that. Elderly parent, serious family illness, or retiring to spend every day with daughter would be one thing. Moving back to a country to be "closer to daughter" while he still plays and travels for the KHL is another.

This is worse than what Fedorov did. Fedorov did nothing wrong at all. And Datsyuk ' s only fault is the cap hit. And because of blabbing it to Mitch Albom. Tell Holland about it privately and let Holland figure out a way around it cap-wise. This is like making a trade demand public in that it leaves the team in a tough spot that the NHL and every team in the league knows about.

• Like 2

Doesn't mean I don't think of the world of Pavel as a player and from what I have heard as person. So my main feeling today is gratefulness for a great career and that we got to enjoy a couple of extra years out of him. And I take back my comment about "blabbing to Mitch Albom" as I am sure Holland would have known of the interview and approved it first, maybe even set it up, so that's cool. I just wish they could LTIR him for one year, he enjoys a year off at home, and then he can decide to play in the KHL in the future as a swan song. A win-win for all.

7.5 million stab in the back ....way to leave with a parting shot ...great player , thought he was a great guy , but ....Wings will struggle even more to recover !

Hats off to Pav. He has been a brilliant player and competitor. His ankle was shot and he still came back. I don't begrudge the guy a chance to return home. Yes, I wish he had taken it year to year on the last contract, but when a guy has been such a great performer and team leader for so long, you have to cut him some slack.

Thre thing with the contract is it may have been the wings that pushed for it so that they would know the worst case scenario.

Thre thing with the contract is it may have been the wings that pushed for it so that they would know the worst case scenario.

If Oblong posts during the playoff games the GDTs will be a very respectable length.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If the Wings or his agent didn't make it clear to him about the contract thing, shame on them.  If Pav knew all along and is leaving anyway, shame on him.  Even if the Wings pushed it, he had to know how he felt.  He also had Nick Lidstrom ahead of him to show him how it could and should be done.  No excuse for it. 

I'm a little tired of these professional athletes and the oh, I have to spend time with my children bit.  We'd all like to do that.  We all don't have extended offseasons and millions to facilitate doing so. 

I'm a little miffed at Datsyuk for letting this get out now.  No reason to discuss it with anyone now, outside of management.  It's even worse if he plays in the KHL.  It tarnishes his stellar image just a bit.

If the Wings or his agent didn't make it clear to him about the contract thing, shame on them.  If Pav knew all along and is leaving anyway, shame on him.  Even if the Wings pushed it, he had to know how he felt.  He also had Nick Lidstrom ahead of him to show him how it could and should be done.  No excuse for it. 

I'm a little tired of these professional athletes and the oh, I have to spend time with my children bit.  We'd all like to do that.  We all don't have extended offseasons and millions to facilitate doing so. 

I'm a little miffed at Datsyuk for letting this get out now.  No reason to discuss it with anyone now, outside of management.  It's even worse if he plays in the KHL.  It tarnishes his stellar image just a bit.

Just because they are pro athletes and make a lot of money, it doesn't mean they aren't human, and don't deal with the same issues of health and family concerns we all do.

For all we know, Pav wanted to play for the Wings through the three year contract then hang it up. A serious ankle injury, with another surgery to deal with an infection, can change a person's mind.

Also, he mentioned in the Albom article that his 13 year old daughter needs his advice. How do we know that she doesn't call him every week in tears saying, "I miss you and need you here." It is certainly not out of the question that he's been hearing that for years now.

I'm going to miss seeing him wear the winged wheel, but he has given enough to the Wings.

Had he kept it quiet, the Wings might have been able to do a LTIR deal with him in regards to his ankle.   If it's "so serious" I guess he can't play in the KHL then, right? 

I would guess all the servicemen overseas, in addition to millions of other people who have to travel for work and be away and or non custodial parents, would like to "hang it up" to be with their kids and have to hear their kids tell them they miss them. 

That's what it come down to me. Truly retiring, fine, I guess it is what it is and the Wings have options. Jumping to the KHL and in a way that the Wings are out the cap hit? Not cool. Either way, I don't think the Wings should try to convince him to stay. If he wants out, let him go, take the high road.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

His daughter couldn't live here?    Why not?    If he's going to spend 9 months of the year here and 3 months there, why wouldn't he just visit there in the offseason with his family.  That was his choice.      

There is a better way to spin this.      My body is banged up and I can't play at the level I would like to in NHL-style hockey.   KHL style involves larger rink surfaces and much less contact and it suits where I am now.     

He still shows brilliant flashes out there, but it's getting more rare these days.  Some nights you barely notice him at all and that's not what you want from a 7.5 million dollar player. 

My concern too is that it gives Ken Holland even more excuse not to make moves or to make bad moves.  "Well, we really wanted to sign x, but......We really felt we needed to keep or sign x (insert old tired veteran) to give us the experience we lost with Pavel"  Bleah.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/04/agent_still_a_chance_pavel_dat.html

"It's been very difficult for Pavel the last three years to come back (to the U.S.)," Milstein said. "The summers are short. After he gets to Russia there is less than two months.

"He has camps to run, so he's spending time away from his daughter. It is very difficult for him to be away from her. She was here during the All-Star break. It was heartbreaking seeing him say good-bye to her as she left for Russia."

Datsyuk also will be hosting a skill development camp in Detroit from June 17-24, regardless of what decision he makes about his future.

Why was he spending time with camps in Russia or Detroit these past summers?  Offseasons are 4 months long - May, June, July, August.

The contract situation sucks, but I just can't hold it against him. I'm going to miss watching Datsyuk play. A lot. 

This whole contract thing is on Ken Holland, not datsyuk. You have a player with one foot out the door and a rule that says early retirement for late guys that sign late career contracts doesn't help on the cap hit. You don't sign that player to a multi year deal. If your summer is spent trying to convince a guy already on a contract to stay every offseason, the multi year deal becomes nothing but a bunch of one year deals anyway. This was a big mistake for holland.

I don't blame datsyuk for anything.

• Like 2

Great player for the majority of the time he was here.  I thought him and Z were starting to get a little long in the tooth based on play this year.  He will be missed.  This can be his swan song...maybe they can ride that to a series win or 2.