Sydney_Fife

Game 80: Wizards @ Pistons

25 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

I think Toronto is better then they're given credit for... But yeah, I give in... We are better off with them then we are with Cleveland.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Agreed.  I want them to avoid Cleveland at all costs.

Very happy to see them back in the playoffs.  Really bothered by Drummond's sulking, hit a free throw or at least hit the freaking rim and you won't get yanked. It's really annoying how much he regressed at the line as if he doesn't work at all at improving that aspect of his game.  Starting to think that they should deal him and balance out the roster.  Just too many holes in his game, poor court demeanor and too many lazy plays to be worth max money.

In any event, tonight is a night of celebration.  Hard to believe it's been 7 years since the Pistons last made the playoffs.

I'd rather Drummond be pissed about not being on the floor for his first playoff clincher than happy-go-lucky on the bench. His poor shooting hasn't cost the franchise anything really yet as they had no shot to do anything his first 3 years, but it's about to be a different story. He's got to get that FT **** together and his elbow tucked in in the off-season.

Hopefully this was that reality hitting him straight between the eyes on the bench that 4Q--if we miss the playoffs because I can't hit a damned free-throw--that's a whole new level of pressure he was potentially facing.

I agree his reaction was not a big deal.  He was obviously in bad mood from being taken out yet again because of free throws.  He should be unhappy about that.  Great players want to win but they also want to play and I am sure it kills Andre he is missing crunch time minutes.  Ultimately, the onus is on him to change that and hopefully he somehow finds way.  He makes even one of those free throws last night before getting pulled, he probably stays in the game.  

I thought both he and SVG handled it well in the post game.  The media obviously wants a story and to make a big deal out of this but the Pistons said what needed to be said without turning against each other.  SVG was honest and said he is going to play Baynes with the playoffs on the line.  Drummond said he is happy for the team and did not trash SVG for sitting him.  

8 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'd rather Drummond be pissed about not being on the floor for his first playoff clincher than happy-go-lucky on the bench. His poor shooting hasn't cost the franchise anything really yet as they had no shot to do anything his first 3 years, but it's about to be a different story. He's got to get that FT **** together and his elbow tucked in in the off-season.

Hopefully this was that reality hitting him straight between the eyes on the bench that 4Q--if we miss the playoffs because I can't hit a damned free-throw--that's a whole new level of pressure he was potentially facing.

It will be interesting to see how he comes back as a free throw shooter next year.  I don't think it is the result of lack of work that some of these guys can't make free throws.  I am confident he has already put in more than enough work.  It is just a one of those things that some of these bigger guys don't have a feel for.  The solution may be more than just practice; it may be getting creative.  See a psychologist?  Try an underhand form (not going to happen realistically)?  Something else?

What I would do with Andre is have him just work on jump shots in general.  Shoot three pointers, shoot 18-20 footers all over the court.  Forget practicing the free throws for a while and just practice jump shots (not to use in a game though).  Think of all the big guys who grow up at the three point line now days.  That is so helpful for them becoming competent free throw shooters.  

Whiteside has really improved his free throws, he now shoots a semi-jumper as a free throw.

Nope, I'd rather have Drummond happy for the team, celebrating with the team despite having to be benched rather than sulking on the bench like that.

But enough about that. The Pistons are in the playoffs and it feels good. Who the heck knows how long it will last. Let's face it I'd dance on the ceiling if they figured a way to the second round. I'm not expecting terribly much right now. But once the games begin against whoever it is, the Pistons' fan in me will take over, and that fan will be in playoff mode. It's been a long time since this Pistons' fan has been able to enjoy a game in "playoff mode."

Plus, now I'm justified keeping my Pistons flag in front of our door hallway for a bit longer. I think that thing is starting to drive my wife nuts. I think she's wishing I didn't find that thing in a store closing sale about now.

Unless we want to call Andre a liar, let's give him a the benefit of the doubt here about why he was "sulking" during the end of the game.

Yeah...I'll happily call him a liar. That reason he gave is nonsense. I would have been willing to accept he was upset with himself and didn't feel he should be celebrating after the game he played rather than just sulking because he was benched, but that he was sad a dead friend couldn't see him make the playoffs? No...not buying it.

29 minutes ago, DaBishop said:

Yeah...I'll happily call him a liar. That reason he gave is nonsense. I would have been willing to accept he was upset with himself and didn't feel he should be celebrating after the game he played rather than just sulking because he was benched, but that he was sad a dead friend couldn't see him make the playoffs? No...not buying it.

Exactly.  Andre showing his immaturity.

Bu again, he's only 22.

I'm glad that as low as my expectations are in this world that my first thought wasn't "Drummond's a piece of **** that would use his best friend's death as a false excuse on why he wasn't celebrating at the end of a game".

Now I can see someone arguing that this is a sign that Andre might need to become mentally stronger, so that in the future this kind of stuff doesn't affect him on the court, but his reason aligns with every single bit of knowledge that has come out about Dre. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think its a little harsh to call Andre a liar without knowing all the details.  Because to be fair even before he was taken out he seemed pretty disinterested the entire game and seemed a little off throughout.   So maybe his friend was on his mind the whole time, it seems a little far fetched I know, but at the same time I think he should get the benefit of the doubt on this one, atleast until there is evidence to prove otherwise. 

• Like 1

I'd buy that if he didn't spend half the season sulking after every missed shot, every time he got benched for free throw shooting, or pretty much anything else.

Much like the Reggie celebration, I don't think this is a big deal. I don't buy his story (and from his interviews either does SVG, FWIW) but I also don't think it makes him as bad guy or a bad teammate that he sulked. He was terrible all game, not just at the FT line. He should have been upset and shouldn't have felt much like celebrating. As a pro he should hide it better, but it's really not the end all be all.

• Like 1