I thought for sure he'd pick the Warriors......

In all seriousness, I think they are both special, elite teams, but the Bulls match up very well with the Warriors. 

6 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I'd personally like to see the RUN TMC Warriors vs today's Warriors, but that's just me.

Don was 20 years early.

• Like 1

High school kid, kind of.

Thon Maker Will Declare for 2016 NBA Draft: Latest Comments and Reaction

Jeff Borzello of ESPN.com provided more details to the eligibility questions surrounding Maker. NBA rules require players to be 19 years old and a year removed from high school. While Maker turned 19 in February, he attends Orangeville Prep in Canada. Essentially, the NBA has to buy the premise Maker was part of the 2015 class and did a post-graduate year for him to be eligible for the draft.

Borzello cited sources saying that said Maker would not get an answer regarding his eligibility until he actually declared for the draft. He is still waiting for the confirmation, as of Sunday.

There is probably no high school kid out there the scouts have soured on more than Maker, even though he is acknowledged as having a lot of ability.

I've seen a little bit of him, and he's got good ball handling skills for a "big" to go with a decent shot.  People compare him to Garnett because they are both so lanky, but I see more Jonathan Bender in him.  We don't know if Bender would have been a good NBA player had he stayed healthy, but he could have been.

I don't think Maker is ready for the NBA, but then again I think maybe two of these one-and-done kids are per draft--tops.  The kid is 19 and has been on the radar for a few years, maybe the NBA cuts him a break.  My gut says he plays in China next year, where he should stay until he is good enough to play better competition in another part of Asia or Europe.  Hit the NBA at 21.

I have mixed emotions on Ming getting into the HOF, but I understand his value as an international trailblazer.

If I were to have a favorite NBA ref of all-time, it would be Darrell Garretson--kinda cool he got in.

Shaq and A.I. are no-brainers, of course.

16 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I have mixed emotions on Ming getting into the HOF, but I understand his value as an international trailblazer.

If I were to have a favorite NBA ref of all-time, it would be Darrell Garretson--kinda cool he got in.

Shaq and A.I. are no-brainers, of course.

I can understand that.

But he did make 8 ASG's in 8 seasons.  Also 5 All-NBA teams in 8 years.  Although never first team, because of Shaq no doubt.

• Like 1

I won't go so far as to say I have a problem with Ming in the HOF, the dude could really play and put up numbers when he was healthy.  Does T-Mac get into the HOF, too, in spite of them being part of a vastly underachieving team that never got out of the first round?  I know that is a big deal to T-Mac's critics.

2 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I won't go so far as to say I have a problem with Ming in the HOF, the dude could really play and put up numbers when he was healthy.  Does T-Mac get into the HOF, too, in spite of them being part of a vastly underachieving team that never got out of the first round?  I know that is a big deal to T-Mac's critics.

I think he gets in.  The greats will need someone to beat in HoF pickup playoff games.

In a Pistons game thread I posted how Detroit had three players in the top 19 of minutes played.

The Spurs only have two guys in the top 100.  Leonard at #57 and LMA at #74.

Minutes and stuff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I think he gets in.  The greats will need someone to beat in HoF pickup playoff games.

I was waiting for the needle.

7 hours ago, Deleterious said:

In a Pistons game thread I posted how Detroit had three players in the top 19 of minutes played.

The Spurs only have two guys in the top 100.  Leonard at #57 and LMA at #74.

Minutes and stuff

Pop is Boris Spassky, the rest of the NBA will spend years and years trying to topple the Grandmaster's legacy.  Basketball's Bobby Fischer won't leave professional gambling until he can buy his own team, most likely, and he is a huge underdog to do it.

LBJ is the perfect storm of having the talent/skill to carry a team, getting superstar treatment from a league that "needed" him, and playing in places where they let him run the asylum. 

--Even Magic had to answer to bigger personalities to be held in check, nobody has ever attempted to hold LBJ in check within his organization.  Jordan is the only player I've seen that approaches LBJ's treatment, but even at that he didn't have the advantage of playing under the rules LBJ plays under.  Nobody in the L takes it on themselves to take LBJ down a peg physically, for if they touch the golden calf they will be suspended indefinitely/publicly shamed on social media/have endorsements pulled.

--McGrady, George, Ming, Unibrow and Durant's inability to stay healthy and compete with LBJ for MVPs is certainly a factor IRT MVP shares. 

--Of the players from the 80s and 90s, Bernard King, Bill Walton, Larry Bird, and depending on how much you value defense, Sidney Moncrief had their brilliant careers curtailed by injury.  Did this help Magic and Jordan win more MVP awards?  Perhaps.  Did the players from LBJ's era being hurt boost his MVP shares?  Sure thing.

I will be the first to tell you that I have a bias against LBJ, and that I will never give him 100% of the credit he deserves.  My reasons are laid out above and I refuse to apologize for the rugged play of the 80s and 90s, nor the abundance of franchise centers.  Hakeem, Ewing, Kareem, Moses, Robinson, Parrish, Daugherty, Zo and Shaq simply have no peers in today's NBA outside of Duncan who seems to fancy the PF label over center.  Although not a full-time center, throw McHale in this group as well.  Maybe he and Duncan can have their own mini-group.

A few thoughts:

Is the decline of the playmaking pg, the proliferation of hero ball and the three-point shot the trend out of evolution or just smart play?  I understand that post-play is panned by numbers guys due to being inefficient, but is that because guys like Hakeem, Kareem, Duncan, Parrish, Shaq and McHale just aren't bred to thrive on the block like they used to?  I can't think of anything more efficient than Kareem's skyhook or McHale's jumphook, or many things that are as much of a sure thing outside of an open dunk.  Duncan and Parrish's mid-post game are in that conversation as well.

Is the post-entry pass too much of a gamble for coaches today?  Do point guards just not execute it well because they aren't coached/drilled to do it like they used to be?

Do today's wings not cut/flash like their predecessors due to the game plan?  Is having your feet behind the arc at all-times the new cardinal rule for wings?  A wing that can swing-pass and/or reverse direction of the flow seems to have largely replaced slashing.  I suspect this has to really cut into PG assist totals, and perhaps even account for some more TO.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on LBJ, and I know it is one of the many things we will absolutely never come to an agreement on.