Sign in to follow this  
CanTig

2016 Toledo Mud Hens Roster

My boy Moya............I told you...........3 for 4 with 2 home runs and 5 RBI.   You all don't believe me, but I am telling you - he reinvented his approach to hitting and his natural strength will come through.  The Tigers are going to find it hard to keep him down in Toledo.   I don't know how, but they will need to bring him up at some point.   He's a monster.  

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My boy Moya............I told you...........3 for 4 with 2 home runs and 5 RBI.   You all don't believe me, but I am telling you - he reinvented his approach to hitting and his natural strength will come through.  The Tigers are going to find it hard to keep him down in Toledo.   I don't know how, but they will need to bring him up at some point.   He's a monster.  

Agreed.  Both HR's were with 2 outs.  His first to center, and the 2nd to left.  He also singled to start the 8 run 2nd, and grounded out later in the game to short.  The Tigers have to find somewhere for him to play, even if they invent a new position.  He's playing with a chip on his shoulder the size of Gibraltar.

*Small sample size alerted, but he was fantastic during the spring.  I wonder if the Tigers could move J Up to CF...

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

*Small sample size alerted, but he was fantastic during the spring.  I wonder if the Tigers could move J Up to CF...

I really thought it would have been a good idea to play him there a little in ST just because you never know. It's been a long time since he played CF, but in general playing CF does not require more skill than playing a corner, just more speed. Upton still has decent though not great wheels. If Moya turns a corner and neither Gose nor Maybin impress, it's an option that might be better than what would amount to a forced sell low trade.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Agreed.  Both HR's were with 2 outs.  His first to center, and the 2nd to left.  He also singled to start the 8 run 2nd, and grounded out later in the game to short.  The Tigers have to find somewhere for him to play, even if they invent a new position.  He's playing with a chip on his shoulder the size of Gibraltar.

He really did change his approach.  He used to try to hit home runs, now he doesn't try to hit them, he just hits them.   

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't see the Tigers changing Justin Upton's position to make room for Moya.

No, it doesn't seem likely, but supposing he does do well enough at Toledo to 'force the issue', what do you do with him? You could rotate him through RF, LF, DH but that is almost pointless since those are already strong positions with the bat.

I suppose the most likely scenario to see Moya is Victor goes on the DL. Then Moya, JD and Upton can rotate through DH. They haven't taught him 1b either, have they?

A crazy idea would be to move Moya into CF.  He's blocked for now, but he's also forcing the issue; as long as he's hitting.

Call him up if he is still hot when VMart's leg injuries force him to the DL.  Otherwise, there's a whole lot of overrating going on over one AAA game in here.  The Tigers have elite LF and RF who can't move to center.

Alex Bregman hit two homers yesterday.  He should be promoted to Houston. Move Carlos Correa to catcher.

The Tigers signed James Loney to a Minor League deal today--which is a pretty fantastic get IMO.  I'm a little biased because of the time he spent in Vero Beach as a Dodger, back when he was a quiet teenager.  But the guy can still hit (although his production days seem to be over) and as far as I know, he still has one of the best gloves at 1B around.

I'm not sure why he doesn't walk much these days, maybe because he's shown such little power the past few years.