Deleterious

2016 Playoff Race

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Lue has already said he is in favor of resting guys even if it means losing the #1 seed.  So I doubt he will manipulate lineups to determine who they sweep in the first round.

This is a risky proposition if you ask me. Playing Toronto in the ECF without home court advantage might be asking for trouble.  What they need to do is go on a winning streak to lock up the #1 seed and then worry about resting players.  

Nice Chicago goes down again, I wonder how close they are to packing it in, not a lot of heart on that team I think.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Eastern W L PCT GB CONF DIV HOME ROAD L 10 STREAK
Cleveland1c 51 21 0.708 0.0 29-14 7-5 30-6 21-15 7-3 L 1
Toronto2x 48 22 0.686 2.0 33-12 11-2 28-8 20-14 7-3 L 1
Atlanta3 42 30 0.583 9.0 24-19 8-7 23-13 19-17 8-2 W 1
Boston4 42 30 0.583 9.0 29-19 10-6 25-12 17-18 5-5 W 3
Miami5 41 30 0.577 9.5 25-19 8-5 23-13 18-17 6-4 L 1
Charlotte6 41 30 0.577 9.5 26-15 7-7 27-11 14-19 8-2 W 2
Indiana7 38 33 0.535 12.5 24-18 6-7 22-13 16-20 6-4 W 2
Detroit8 38 34 0.528 13.0 24-20 8-6 23-12 15-22 7-3 W 4
Chicago 36 35 0.507 14.5 21-23 7-5 24-13 12-22 5-5 L 2
Washington 35 36 0.493 15.5 26-21 8-6 19-18 16-18 5-5 L 1

Washington as Minnesota at home on Friday then they head out west for 5 games.  Although, 3 of the 5 are winnable games.

72 Fri, Mar 25, 2016 7:00p EST       Minnesota Timberwolves                
73 Sun, Mar 27, 2016 9:30p EST     @ Los Angeles Lakers                
74 Tue, Mar 29, 2016 10:30p EST     @ Golden State Warriors                
75 Wed, Mar 30, 2016 10:00p EST     @ Sacramento Kings                
76 Fri, Apr 1, 2016 10:30p EST     @ Phoenix Suns                
77 Sun, Apr 3, 2016 3:30p EST     @ Los Angeles Clippers

Might be a bit premature and it's subject to change but the Bulls look done to me.  They looked completely disinterested the last 2 games, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hoiberg fired in the offseason.  It's pretty clear the team has tuned him out and the defense has completely gone in the tank. Somewhere Thibs is having a good chuckle.

Of course, the Pistons are perfectly capable of fumbling this opportunity but they have to be in the drivers seat at this point and I never would have thought that a week ago.

12 hours ago, Hart said:

This is a risky proposition if you ask me. Playing Toronto in the ECF without home court advantage might be asking for trouble.  What they need to do is go on a winning streak to lock up the #1 seed and then worry about resting players.  

I suppose Hoiberg could be fired, but their issues are clearly health related. I believe they were the 2 or 3 seed when Butler got hurt and they're allowing 6 points a game more with him out. I know he's back now, but he doesn't look the same yet. Not to mention the myriad of other injuries they've had. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

I suppose Hoiberg could be fired, but their issues are clearly health related. I believe they were the 2 or 3 seed when Butler got hurt and they're allowing 6 points a game more with him out. I know he's back now, but he doesn't look the same yet. Not to mention the myriad of other injuries they've had. 

I agree.

Jimmy Butler May Need Offseason Knee Surgery

16 hours ago, Hart said:

I'm 50-50 on whether the Cavs are actually vulnerable or just waiting to unleash **** on teams when it counts.  

They might be coasting a bit.  That might be part of their current malaise.

But I think when push comes to shove, they're going to fold and pout and point fingers and it will be more drama for James.

23 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Hoiberg won't get fired unless they fire the whole front office.  Foreman and Paxson fought and fought and fought with Thibs.  All sorts of stories in the press about how they wanted him to play Snell, McDermott, and the young players they drafted but Thibs refused to do so because they couldn't play defense.  Same with Mirotic.  Thibs was notorious for playing starters big time minutes in meaningless games regardless of the score and it drove management crazy.  I think they blamed him for Rose and Noah constantly being injured.

They blamed him for not developing younger players (Jimmy Butler excepted) and for playing too defensive a style.  So they drafted nothing but offensive players like McDermott and Mirotic and Snell and tried to force him to play a more open offensive style.  Thibs felt they were undermining him all the time.  They both went to the press and it ended badly.  In the end, Reinsdorf wrote a really petty, scathing press release after he was fired saying that everyone needed to work together and that some people had agendas that tore the team apart.  Seeing as who was fired, I'm pretty sure we know who had the "agenda."

But who's laughing now?  Hoiberg was the handpicked next coach.  Foreman is his buddy and they were talking about the job two years ago.  He was hired to bring in an uptempo offensive style and use the young players Foreman drafted.  He benched Noah (who was bad in the early season) and started Mirotic.  Gave more playing time to McDermott.  Not even Hoiberg can get Snell to do anything.

But he could never get Rose and Butler to mesh in the offense.  When one is out, the other thrives.  When they play together, they get in each other's way and play iso ball while everyone watches.  Gasol is still clearly a great offensive weapon, but he tries even less on defense than he did with the Lakers.  Butler is a shell of himself after trying to come back too early from injury.  Mirotic has been streaky on offense.  Same with McDermott.  But without Butler and Gibson hobbling, NO ONE on that team plays any defense. 

Hoiberg seems clueless as to how to get them to try.  They may luck into something next year because Rose will be in a contract year and might actually try all season.  Although with him you never know.  Butler should shut it down and get his knee sorted out.  There's talk they might try to sign Gasol, but I doubt it.  He can opt out of the last year of his deal and will look to get paid (probably with the Knicks).  They'll run with Hoiberg next year and if it doesn't work, will look to trade Rose and his expiring $20 million contract.

Maybe the NBA will give them the #1 pick again like they did with Rose?  If not, they're going to look a lot like this next year.  THEN they might clean house.  But not after this year, that's not Reinsdorf's way.  Ask Kenny Williams.

Good insight, Buddha. I don't think they're dead yet though. I don't think we go there and win... And they get the Pelicans and 76ers to finish. They could also hold a better division record depending on what happens. Wizards still lurking at 2.5 back. 

Hawks/Bulls on NBA TV tonight. Hopefully Atlanta continues their hot streak!

They are a mercurial bunch.  But they just gave up 66 points to orlando in the first half...an orlando team playing without multiple starters.  They look disinterested.

The bulls still have the talent to win and they might play harder at home.  Their schedule is easier than ours so youre right, they are not dead yet.

But theyre barely breathing.

Come on Hawks, no more fouling on 3-pointers, 4 point plays in the last 20 seconds aren't good.

HAWKS WIN, CHICAGO IS IN REAL TROUBLE NOW. They max out at 45 w's and burned off another home game.