tigerjoe

Recommendations for concealed carry pistol

I don't know enough about guns to offer a recommendation, but I have been eyeing the Ruger LC9. I haven't shot with it, but I like the way it feels.

Not too bulky for IWB?

I suggest telling people that you have an insulin pump. That negates any concern about bulging.

Went to the range today and shot the LC9s. It felt nice. I'm gonna go with that one. The price is right, just about every reputable website gives it a thumbs up, both the experts and people in the various forums, and then I put it through the ultimate test, shooting it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I suggest telling people that you have an insulin pump. That negates any concern about bulging.

Or I could call myself Johnny Wadd!! ?

Went to the range today and shot the LC9s. It felt nice. I'm gonna go with that one. The price is right, just about every reputable website gives it a thumbs up, both the experts and people in the various forums, and then I put it through the ultimate test, shooting it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Good on you. I'm still looking at the PPS M2 just based on looks/feel.

Good on you. I'm still looking at the PPS M2 just based on looks/feel.

I'm a novice, but the proper answer seems to be: just get 'em both!

I'm a novice, but the proper answer seems to be: just get 'em both!

Yeah...it's tough to resist

Concealed Choice...

rugers_SR9c_02.jpg

THis is what I carry. The nice thing is you can get a full size mag that holds 17 rounds as well when not using it for concealed carry.

Have you shot the Glock 43? It has a decent feel.
I have a Glock 26 Gen 3 "Baby Glock" I love it for the size and feel. I added a pink extender for a little better feel to all my magazines.

Have you shot the Glock 43? It has a decent feel.

I've shot the Glock 42 and got on well with it, I can only imagine the G43 is very similar. Minimal kick of the 380 may have had something to do with that.

Been curious about the PPS, mostly because I love the way my PPX fires so much. Obviously, the PPX is not much of an option for a conceal piece but I really like the trigger and lack of muzzle flip.

My wife's Springfield XDS 3.3" 9mm is a very nice carry piece, shoots real smooth for a single-stack carry piece.

I've shot the Glock 42 and got on well with it, I can only imagine the G43 is very similar. Minimal kick of the 380 may have had something to do with that.

Been curious about the PPS, mostly because I love the way my PPX fires so much. Obviously, the PPX is not much of an option for a conceal piece but I really like the trigger and lack of muzzle flip.

My wife's Springfield XDS 3.3" 9mm is a very nice carry piece, shoots real smooth for a single-stack carry piece.

I still need to shoot an XDS or XDM. I have no particular feeling about them either way except my co-worker told me they were great and I'm following my instincts to avoid his recommendations.

It seems to me that the next company that will burst into this particular market niche has to be Sig Sauer. They sell a lot of the mini-1911 style steel frame P938 types but haven't replaced their Walther PPK sized P232 yet. They have the P320 Sub Compact but its just not thin enough for this purpose. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

In the meantime...I do enjoy taking a look at them all and renting them.

One thing I'm finding out as a new gun owner: damn, it's hard loading those mags! I think I'm going to get a loader...that last cartridge is a *****!

One thing I'm finding out as a new gun owner: damn, it's hard loading those mags! I think I'm going to get a loader...that last cartridge is a *****!

You need to get a Uupula loader. I have a couple and they are great and save a lot of time and pinched fingers while loading magazines.

You need to get a Uupula loader. I have a couple and they are great and save a lot of time and pinched fingers while loading magazines.

Thanks, I've seen people on other forums recommend that brand, too. On one hand I want to learn how to pop those cartridges in there, so I'm considering toughing it out. Maybe I should take up thumb wresting to build up my strength! Or I could just buy a loader!!

Thanks, I've seen people on other forums recommend that brand, too. On one hand I want to learn how to pop those cartridges in there, so I'm considering toughing it out. Maybe I should take up thumb wresting to build up my strength! Or I could just buy a loader!!

NO...get the the loader. It makes a huge difference.

You might google breaking in magazine springs, and check out some of the recommendations. I have not found a handgun loader that works well in my opinion. I have 3 (or maybe 4) different types, and still load by hand.

I've found that the loader for my AR-15 is much more effective than my dad's 9mm loader that I've used with my PPX. I have no doubt that there are good 9mm loaders out there, but whatever he has is not one of them.

I still need to shoot an XDS or XDM. I have no particular feeling about them either way except my co-worker told me they were great and I'm following my instincts to avoid his recommendations.

It seems to me that the next company that will burst into this particular market niche has to be Sig Sauer. They sell a lot of the mini-1911 style steel frame P938 types but haven't replaced their Walther PPK sized P232 yet. They have the P320 Sub Compact but its just not thin enough for this purpose. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

In the meantime...I do enjoy taking a look at them all and renting them.

Fair enough, I completely understand.

If I were buying a concealed, and I may soon, I would prolly try out a PPS1 or 2, LC9 and SW Shield first and then go from there. The Springfield was bought just because my wife liked the feel of it at the shop, then a sale rolled around that was too good to pass on. Like $379 that included two extra mags and a case for extra clips IIRC.

Just had my first prolonged range session yesterday, going through 200 rounds. Damn, my hands are sore! That LC9s is a nice piece, and its small size was a big part of its appeal. But its size also means it has a bit of a recoil! My hands are cramped today, and I've got a small blister on my trigger finger. Next up: cleaning my gun for the first time.

I hope I'm not boring or annoying people with my novice excitement for what are probably mundane things to experienced shooters, but I think this whole thing is pretty cool, and I wish I hadn't waited so long to become a firearm owner! There's so much to learn, and I'm taking the awesome responsibility that comes with this very, very seriously. Every time I pick up my gun, I check the chamber. It's a habit I want to get into.

I've found that the loader for my AR-15 is much more effective than my dad's 9mm loader that I've used with my PPX. I have no doubt that there are good 9mm loaders out there, but whatever he has is not one of them.

I think the old USGI stripper clips and spoons work great on AR-15 mags. Even the good after market mags like PMAGs. You can buy the stripper clips and spoons off of ebay fairly cheap.