mickeyb105

Does Phil Jackson have a point on Curry vs Chris Jackson?

Feeling got hurt this weekend when Phil Jackson stated that the player formerly known as Chris Jackson, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, was essentially Steph Curry 1.0.

On the surface, this appears to be an insult and who knows what Phil's motives were in saying it other than possibly to protect his Bulls dynasty aura. But really, is it?

Chris Jackson was an absolute monster--a phenom's phenom--at LSU through two years of play. His freshman year is not only one of the best Freshman scoring lines, but one of the better scoring lines in NCAA history. Similar to Curry, Jackson was a quick dribbling machine with a very fast release who could really fill it up from deep. Both had similar flaws in college--skinny, lack of playmaking, too many turnovers, too short to play shooting guard. Of note, Shaq and Stanley Roberts were both at LSU Jackson's sophomore year. It is just as fair to ask how that impacted Jackson's scoring just as it is fair to ask how the managed to go just 12-6 in the SEC that year.

Jackson at LSU:

FR 32.7/4.4/3.7 48.6 FG/38.9 3pt/81.5 FT

SO 27.8/3.2/2.5 46.1 FG/35.8 3pt/91.0 FT

Curry at Davidson:

FR 21.5/2.8/4.6 46.3/40.8/85.5

SO 25.9/2.9/4.6 48.3/43.9/89.4

JR 28.6/5.6/4.4 45.4/38.7/87.6

Jackson was a bigger deal than Curry coming out of school, even if both faced similar questions in terms of their shortcomings. After that, of course, their careers were very different. Jackson's fight with Tourette's Syndrome was famously told in Sports Illustrated in '93, for those who followed the game closely back then. His per 36 numbers through his first three years were on par or better than Curry's save the wide gap in three-point shooting. Those three years Curry was a marginally better defender. Jackson didn't turn the ball over nearly as much, but then again, he didn't play PG full-time and he often played off the ball.

The obvious comparison, as a pro, is the elite FT shooting. Jackson put up some crazy FT percentages--will anyone ever shoot 95.6% for a full year ever again? To be fair, he takes far less FTA than Curry, and far less than he did in college.

Phil did a very poor job of articulating the Jackson/Abdul-Rauf vs Curry comparison, but if you dig into it, you can see that there are plenty of similarities. Without Tourette's, does Jackson achieve what Curry has? Probably not, but we'll never know. What I do know, is that if Curry takes this as an insult he needs to check himself--Jackson had as much ability as any 6' player I've ever seen in college, save Kenny Anderson, and he was as good of a college scorer as I've ever seen. Disabilities are a b****.

He wasn't near as good an NBA player, not sure what else there is to say. It was a ******* thing to say

Agreed

He wasn't near as good an NBA player, not sure what else there is to say. It was a ******* thing to say

But you really should have seen him in college, Nas . . . and the per 36 numbers in the pros aren't so far apart to be as butthurt as people are about it right now.

Not sure what college means in the discussion unless Phil made a point of speaking to their respective games while in college.

I didn't hear/read his comments so if that was what he was talking about, then apologies.

I think he's trying to belittle (along with Oscar Robertson) Steph Curry. Robertson said there is no defense played in the NBA today. What a load of crap, considering the defenses that played in his days. He couldn't shoot on the same planet as Steph Curry, and he was one of the best shooters from "back in the day".

I would think Phil has a motivation to build up the 72-win teams Bulls relative any team challenging that mark.

Much like Shula and the 72 Dolphins would meet to drink champagne whenever the last undefeated NFL team lost.

Oscar Robertson was an all-time great and an all-time grump. Not sure how well he can judge defense in the NBA today relative to 50 years ago.

The only thing I remember about Jackson/Abdul-Rauf was the controversy he had surrounding the National Anthem way back when. I think he refused to stand during it or something. Anyway as far as the comparison goes I don't really see the need to make it. Sure Jackson was great in college but I'm sure that wasn't what Phil was referring to. Maybe Jackson/Abdul-Rauf had routinely torched Phil's Bulls so he holds his NBA career in a higher light than others do but still from the surface this just looks like he was intentionally trying to put Curry down, which is a shame.

There's very few things in sports that annoy me more than when past players or older fans just completely downplay a current player or team. The whole "everything was better in my day" shtick is so stupid. They generally don't even provide any stats or logical reasons as to why, its usually just them stating it as a fact said player or team wouldn't be able to hang with them without any substance behind it.

Not sure what college means in the discussion unless Phil made a point of speaking to their respective games while in college.

I didn't hear/read his comments so if that was what he was talking about, then apologies.

As prospects, like I said, they were very similar with similar strengths and weaknesses. Through their first few years as pros, also very comparable as neither looked to be a sure all-star that especially Jackson was supposed to be out of LSU at #3 overall. But from there the comparison grows weaker because Curry's shooting reached heights that nobody has ever seen.

It isn't a terrible comment taking all of that into account, IMO, but all people want to focus on is giving Curry full credit for how great he has been the past two years. That's fine, but to remember Abdul-Rauf/Jackson only for his refusal to acknowledge the Anthem or flag is a big mistake IMO. His disability trapped his potential and kept his ceiling low, IMO, but what do I know?

Was Phil doing it to be controversial? Well, Phil is going to be Phil . . .

As prospects, like I said, they were very similar with similar strengths and weaknesses. Through their first few years as pros, also very comparable as neither looked to be a sure all-star that especially Jackson was supposed to be out of LSU at #3 overall. But from there the comparison grows weaker because Curry's shooting reached heights that nobody has ever seen.

It isn't a terrible comment taking all of that into account, IMO, but all people want to focus on is giving Curry full credit for how great he has been the past two years. That's fine, but to remember Abdul-Rauf/Jackson only for his refusal to acknowledge the Anthem or flag is a big mistake IMO. His disability trapped his potential and kept his ceiling low, IMO, but what do I know?

Was Phil doing it to be controversial? Well, Phil is going to be Phil . . .

Well, I don't think Phil was speaking of the two as prospects out of college, and I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't give Steph full credit for the last 2 years (or needs the qualifier 'that's fine', for that matter). Those are crazy good seasons.

Nobody is arguing Abdul-Rauf potential wasn't realized because of his disability.

Phil was obviously trying to make a comparison to spark discussion.

i grew up watching he game in the 70's. Today's defense is less physical in terms of someone actually getting punched in the mouth but the athletes are far better and the intensity is greater. You don't see nearly as many open looks as you did back then and you seldom see an "uncontested" shot at the rim. In 1975 Tayshaun Prince doesn't make the block on Miller because he wouldn't have crossed mid court.

Abdul Rauf was a very talented guard in college...I would not put him in Curry's class as a pro

But you really should have seen him in college, Nas . . . and the per 36 numbers in the pros aren't so far apart to be as butthurt as people are about it right now.

My interest is not in discrediting Jackson. He's simply not Curry by any measure.

My interest is not in discrediting Jackson. He's simply not Curry by any measure.

The closest thing to Curry, really ever, was probably Pistol Pete but way fewer people who read twitter saw him play in his prime--including me.

The closest thing to Curry, really ever, was probably Pistol Pete but way fewer people who read twitter saw him play in his prime--including me.

I think if there was a 3-point line during Maravich's time, he probably would have been on par with Curry of today. In Today's game Maravich probably would have been a PG too, given his ball handling skills. I think Maravich may have been more skilled, better ball handling and a bit taller and more athletic really, good comparison though.

People complained he didn't play any D...

:laugh: