Sign in to follow this  
Fennis The Menace

Edmond Sumner

I know it's a bit early for draft talk, but I just watched Xavier v. Nova, and the best player for the #5 ranked winning team was their freshman pg. Then I went and checked a couple mock drafts, and he isn't even listed in either round. Am I missing something, or if this kid played for a blue blood program would he be a lottery pick?

Sumner can play, no doubt, and he's definitely not a secret coming from one of the Midwest's traditional basketball factories in Country Day and at one of the strongest AAU teams, traditionally, in the country in "The Family". If he has a good tournament, comes out, and does all the right things in the post-season, he could possibly sneak into second round territory IMO. He was the 17th ranked PG in the country coming out of high school, so he's definitely overperforming expectations right now. That jumper needs some major work, as it is not only inconsistent but his form is bad/slow. He'll have a hard time getting it off against better athletes in the NBA. His arms aren't especially long for how lanky he is, either.

He's an interesting prospect that needs to polish his game if he wants to move into the first round. That said, I just don't ever see lottery for this kid.

PG could definitely be a target for us in the draft. We don't have much besides Reggie. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a PG and signing a vet backup. Dinwiddie doesn't seem to have much of a NBA future.

There are PG's I like in this upcoming draft. As either a #1 backup (DeMetrius Jackson) or #3 PG (Jackson, Melo Trimble, Gary Payton II) behind a veteran FA signing.

I like Payton as a defensive demon off the bench to throw at the Curry's/ Westbrook's/ etc. of the league. He can still pass and score... a bit. An unrefined offensive game still... but his defensive pressure is way off the charts, much like his dad. It would be his NBA calling card. He'd be an ideal #3 PG.

I'm not certain Trimble or Jackson could step in right away as the Primary Backup... but I would draft them with the intention of being the #3 PG and them being able to work up to the #1 or #2 spot in the rotation... eventually.

PG could definitely be a target for us in the draft. We don't have much besides Reggie. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a PG and signing a vet backup. Dinwiddie doesn't seem to have much of a NBA future.

This is my thinking as well. What I believe should be our off season plan.

More specifically: Trade or release Dinwiddie and Meeks. Spend most of our off season cash on a frontcourt player that has the size to swing between PF and Center and can defend well against at least the bigger PF's in the league (and medium-to-smaller C's?), Defense-1st especially with rim-protection, any Offensive game is simply a plus or... icing on the cake. Sign a veteran PG. Sign a cheaper option than Meeks as an off-the-bench shooter (Thornton is just 1 example I think would be an inexpensive option.) Draft a PG in the 1st.

I don't know if we have the money to do all that. But that's the best blueprint I can come up with at this point...

This is my thinking as well. What I believe should be our off season plan.

More specifically: Trade or release Dinwiddie and Meeks. Spend most of our off season cash on a frontcourt player that has the size to swing between PF and Center and can defend well against at least the bigger PF's in the league (and medium-to-smaller C's?), Defense-1st especially with rim-protection, any Offensive game is simply a plus or... icing on the cake. Sign a veteran PG. Sign a cheaper option than Meeks as an off-the-bench shooter (Thornton is just 1 example I think would be an inexpensive option.) Draft a PG in the 1st.

I don't know if we have the money to do all that. But that's the best blueprint I can come up with at this point...

I'm not giving up on Meeks. He probably doesn't play this year but he can get healthy over the summer and come back 100 % barring any setbacks. He's always been a shooter and we desperately need that behind KCP.

Dinwiddie is expendable. I think they'll go BPA in the draft and go from there. Doubt they'll rely on the pick to be a rotation guy right away. I think they have their starting 5 set barring any trades. They'll only have 14-15 million or so in space and with the rising cap that's not going to get you any impact guys. They need to fix the bench. Hopefully they sign a nice backup PG, a forward, and bring back either Tolliver or Anthony for depth up front. Hillard, Bullock, and their pick fill in the remaining spots.

I'm not giving up on Meeks. He probably doesn't play this year but he can get healthy over the summer and come back 100 % barring any setbacks. He's always been a shooter and we desperately need that behind KCP...

I'd like to use his money elsewhere.

There are several teams struggling to meet minimum salary cap requirements each year. If you trade up or down a 2nd round pick and Meeks for nothing but salary relief:

You can use his $$$ on a cheaper replacement (Thornton just for example, should cost much less than Meeks' $6.5M), with the excess going towards vet backup PG and PF needs.

I think his salary is better spent on other players. I don't have any confidence in Meeks. Not anymore. He never was a very good defender (quite bad actually), with his only calling card his 3-pt shooting. Bad D and good 3-pt distance and bad health should be replaceable and at a much lower cost IMO.

Drafting a backup PG would be such a Pistons move.

I'm usually a BPA type, but unless you are getting an absolute stud, don't draft a PG.

PG is by far the deepest position in the NBA. Filling the backup slot isn't difficult at all.

I'd like to use his money elsewhere.

There are several teams struggling to meet minimum salary cap requirements each year. If you trade up or down a 2nd round pick and Meeks for nothing but salary relief:

You can use his $$$ on a cheaper replacement (Thornton just for example, should cost much less than Meeks' $6.5M), with the excess going towards vet backup PG and PF needs.

I think his salary is better spent on other players. I don't have any confidence in Meeks. Not anymore. He never was a very good defender (quite bad actually), with his only calling card his 3-pt shooting. Bad D and good 3-pt distance and bad health should be replaceable and at a much lower cost IMO.

In a perfect world, yes. But why would a team cut into their cap space by 6.5 to acquire a guy coming off an injury? The Pistons need a backup SG and a healthy Meeks is exactly that. We aren't a premier destination for free agents so I would be cautious about dealing him away for nothing in the hopes you can sign a better replacement. Quite honestly, I don't think you're going to be able to sign a guy that can shoot like a healthy Meeks for 6.5 million the summer.

They can fill backup PG and find a shooter for 13-14 million. Dealing Meeks creates room but I think you're rolling the dice you'll be able to sign a better replacement... Especially when everyone will have cap space and we aren't a great destination.

In a perfect world, yes. But why would a team cut into their cap space by 6.5 to acquire a guy coming off an injury? The Pistons need a backup SG and a healthy Meeks is exactly that. We aren't a premier destination for free agents so I would be cautious about dealing him away for nothing in the hopes you can sign a better replacement. Quite honestly, I don't think you're going to be able to sign a guy that can shoot like a healthy Meeks for 6.5 million the summer.

They can fill backup PG and find a shooter for 13-14 million. Dealing Meeks creates room but I think you're rolling the dice you'll be able to sign a better replacement... Especially when everyone will have cap space and we aren't a great destination.

Philadelphia doesn't care if a guy is coming off an injury. If you give them a 2nd rounder they'll give you their cap space.

I think we absolutely can find a shooter for the bench that roughly equates to Meeks, and does NOT cost $6.5M. Even with the extra cap space. You're talking about a shooter nearing the end of his career (IE: Anthony Morrow is 30, makes $3.3M, is a better 3-pt shooter than Meeks at lifetime 42.7% versus Meeks' 37.3%, but is probably worse at D than Meeks is...), has some shortcomings (Meeks is sucky at D so he has his shortcomings too), or isn't high on anyone's list (I can't see a bidding war for Marcus Thornton, lifetime 36% 3-pt shooter, makes $950K, and D in between Meeks and Morrow...).

I believe OKC and Houston were trying to trade Morrow and Thornton, respectively, at the trade deadline IIRC.

Did Houston actually release Thornton yet? They were trying to work out a buyout with him per the rumor mill IIRC.

Hilliard's improvement this season, and having him behind KCP, tells me we can go cheap on a shooter off the bench. There's no reason to go expensive on that spot (Meeks $6.5 isn't a budget-buster, but the $$$ is better spent elsewhere) and there will be options out there.

I'd rather have $20M available in the off season and chase after the best PF we can get with that, and the best Vet backup PG, and find a reasonably priced backup at 3rd SG (shooter-off-the-bench). For that matter, I believe Anthony & Tolliver have team options for next year? We can decline them and re-sign them after FA's to be 3rd Center and PF. And if we sign a vet PG and draft a 3rd PG in the draft, that also makes Dinwiddie expendable. The 3rd PG and SG and PF and Center can be filled in with re-signs and draft picks and/or whatever cheap options work.

But there are moves that can be made this off season to put us in the best spot cap-wise to sign the best PF and backup PG that we can get. And dumping Meeks is a huge part of that. For a better PF or PG, it's extremely high on my list.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: The summary is:

I'm not looking for a better replacement. Just someone with similar abilities at a lower cost, to be the 3rd SG. He's a decent (not great) distance shooter who is slightly undersized at SG and plays subpar D.

I would prefer to use his money for our #2 PF, and #2 PG. Much more critical than 3rd SG as shooter-off-the-bench. IMO.