Deleterious

Pistons Void Donatas Motiejunas Trade

So what happens to the sixers and they guy they cut so they could add Anthony? The story says he signed with Denver.

That could really hurt Philly's chance to contend

Exactly.

Seriously, though, I think it's an interesting situation.

Did the sixers screw up by cutting Sampson before the trade made it through the medical evaluation phase?

And now I believe there's a serious possibility Ryan Anderson is a Piston next season.

Or Motiejunas.

He has to prove himself healthy again. Everybody will steer clear of him due to his back and RFA status. But will Houston even make an attempt to keep him?

If his back is good (re-evaluate over the summer...); he may be a value play.

Anderson certainly won't be. And the Markieff option is gone now that the Suns traded him to Washington...

I still would be extremely interested in finding a defensive big option, with or without going after Anderson or D-Mo. Noel, Biyombo, Amir Johnson, is Noah a FA this summer?, etc...

Oh, as for another value play: Terrence Jones (is he RFA or UFA this summer?).

They wont go after him this summer. They didn't kill the deal because he is on the shelf short term. They killed because he will be dealing with this issue the rest of his career. If it was just a short term thing where he would be 100% better after some rest, they probably go ahead and do the deal. That way they control him in FA this summer.

I'm still really shocked it got killed. After Houston, we should know the most about his medical condition since his former agent now works for us.

That is the second Rockets-Pistons deal to get voided. Horry-Elliot was the other one.

Good. Not that he wasn't a good player, but back injuries are tricky. Not worth the risk.

Pistons Void Donatas Motiejunas Trade With Rockets - RealGM Wiretap

Shame because if healthy, this was a much better deal than the Harris deal.

Agreed. I like this deal better as well. Felt that Motiejunas was a good fit but the injuries were worrisome, back injuries can be very troublesome for bigs.

Ah well, it looks like they are probably going to tank anyway so at least they have that 1st back.

I think SVG would be looked at very negatively if he went after him in the off season. As far as them going through with this trade if they thought he couldn't play this year but would be fine next year is crazy, imo. You may be right but I somehow doubt it.

Is the first rounder this season really valuable? It doesn't sound like a good draft at all.

That really sucks. I would really like to have a good post scorer like DMo.

I agree, this guy could have been an Okur-type of player for us in terms of being a multi-skilled big.

Is the first rounder this season really valuable? It doesn't sound like a good draft at all.

I read this same thing every year. Usually, two years before a draft, everybody hypes it. Then, as you get closer and closer to the draft, you usually start reading things about how it is a weak draft.

The advantage D-Mo has over the pick is he can help us now. The pick should be able to net us a similar talent/impact player down the road but value now is almost always better than value later because a draft pick is more of an unknown. In this case though, the pick is more valuable because this back injury carries too much risk.

Not really, but if Motiejunas doesn't see the court then you're dealing a 1st for a couple of months of Thornton.

I loved this deal but didn't take into account his back issues. That's a tough deal for big men.

DM probably thought the physical was a joke because the decision probably had nothing to do with what took place there. I would think it much more likely the Pistons changed their mind after they got additional feedback from consulting radiologists to whom they had sent his imaging results for review - which would also have been a logical reason they might have had to ask the delay - they were still waiting to hear from someone.