tigerjoe

RIP Tony Phillips

Phillips was one of my favorite Tigers of the 90s, Fielder was the most famous, but Phillips was more valuable. He might have been the Tigers best free agent signing ever.

Phillips was one of my favorite Tigers of the 90s, Fielder was the most famous, but Phillips was more valuable. He might have been the Tigers best free agent signing ever.

It doesn't seem right for a guy, seemingly so full of life and energy, to pass so young.

Agreed on best FA signing ever.

Me too. I used to crouch just like him. I felt like I could see the ball better. The contrast between he and Tettleton always humored me. He was constantly on base, had surprising power, and could play any position. Such a valuable player.

I loved that guy.

I just saw something a little shocking: Tony Phillips has the highest lifetime WAR of anybody in the All-Star era that was never on an All-Star team. Better than Kirk Gibson, even.

I also read that only Cabrera has a higher OBP since Phillips left. That one isn't as surprising though.

I think he definitely would have made some all-star teams in the current era.

I remember watching a game on tv and near the end of the game Tony was arguing with the umpire. The next day I went to the game and during Tony's first at-bat he started arguing again and was summarily ejected. I think it was against the White Sox.

Really sad. He was the ultimate utility-guy-who-can-play-every-day kind of player. Did so many things well. Always seemed to be having the most fun of anyone playing the game.

Hope heaven has a large pallet of sunflower seeds ready for him.

Welcome back!

By all accounts Phillips was still fit. I wonder if this was drug related? I seem to recall him having run ins with drugs in the past.

Cocaine is a helluva drug

Wow! Sparky loved the guy and he was a heckuva lead off hitter. It seems like just a couple years ago I'm watching this guy play. RIP Tony.

That was an amazing team from a run scoring standpoint....it was moneyball before moneyball...all walks and homers. I loved that lineup, and Tony Phillips was the ultimate leadoff guy.

Never realized this until now, but Whitaker had the highest OPS of his career (.890) in the final year of his career at age 38. He couldn't stay healthy the last two years but that's a pretty strong finish.

I don't remember him being hurt. Just platooned. A favorite memory I have of Lou is near the end he hit a game winning HR. "Walk off" wasn't invented yet. As the crowd gathered they backed away a bit and Tram gave Lou a fist bump then ran towards the dugout while everyone mobbed Lou. Like "we have something special so give us some room".

I don't remember him being hurt. Just platooned. A favorite memory I have of Lou is near the end he hit a game winning HR. "Walk off" wasn't invented yet. As the crowd gathered they backed away a bit and Tram gave Lou a fist bump then ran towards the dugout while everyone mobbed Lou. Like "we have something special so give us some room".

Good point, plus 94 was the strike year.

Never realized this until now, but Whitaker had the highest OPS of his career (.890) in the final year of his career at age 38. He couldn't stay healthy the last two years but that's a pretty strong finish.

I was fun to watch Whittaker work his way around the field as a hitter as he got older. When he was young his best result was the opposite field double right one the 3rd base chalk line. By his 30's had become a good pull hitter and put the ball into the RF seats with pretty fair regularity.

I was fun to watch Whittaker work his way around the field as a hitter as he got older. When he was young his best result was the opposite field double right one the 3rd base chalk line. By his 30's had become a good pull hitter and put the ball into the RF seats with pretty fair regularity.

Yeah. Lou hit a couple out of the stadium if I recall correctly.

Maybe that'll happen with Gose.:square: