holygoat

Pistons acquire Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton

I fully expect Drummond to be on the bench the last two minutes of any close game.

That isn't a guess on my part either. It is exactly what SVG has done in most close games this year if a team is willing to foul him.

As someone who handles personal injury claims all over the country, he very wary of "minimally invasive back surgery."

First, there is no such thing as minor surgery and there is no such thing as minimally invasive surgery. It's a name they stick on it to sell it. Its a procedure that is highly criticized by a lot of surgeons. I also have some medical malpractice cases with that type of procedure. A lot of them.

I would be be worried about donuts.

Also, to betrayers point, svg is relying a lot on Drummond improving his defense by leaps and bounds. Or he's planning on seeing what he can get for him in a trade...

Lots of truth to all of this.

Great post, Buddha.

I'm still holding out hope for Drummond for cousins. I like Andre a lot but think cousins is a unique talent if you can get him with the right coach.

I have no interest in Cousins I've decided. Anytime a guy like that gets put onto a good team he becomes half the player he was or at best becomes a cog. Dwight, Gasol, Bosh....good to very good players, but at the end of the day just pieces and I'm not sure any more valuable then what Drummond can potentially be.

He is the worst free throw shooter in league history. Don't know of any more obvious flaws exist, lol. Pretty important aspect of the game considering he's been benched numerous times because of it.

I'm not saying you don't sign him because they have to. You give him his money and hope for the best. But his flaws are much more harmful for this team than I think a lot of people realize... Especially if we are building this team around him.

Well, Silver is looking to potentially eliminate the hack-a-whoever or at least amend it so it's quite possible that Drummond's biggest flaw won't be a problem anymore.

I also think his defensive deficiencies are a bit overblown. He has work to do obviously but he's not a complete liability on the defensive end, he provides a big presence in the paint that will be sorely missed if he was dealt.

The bigger defensive issue for the Pistons is up top IMO. Jackson and Jennings got torched on the regular by opposing point guards at an alarming rate. Constant blow bys and wide open 3's because neither could figure out how to work around a screen. The next biggest issue was lack of athleticism and rebounding at the 4. I hope that is fixed with the new additions who are known to be excellent rebounders.

I have no interest in Cousins I've decided. Anytime a guy like that gets put onto a good team he becomes half the player he was or at best becomes a cog. Dwight, Gasol, Bosh....good to very good players, but at the end of the day just pieces and I'm not sure any more valuable then what Drummond can potentially be.

I would take Gasol, Bosh, or Dwight in their prime before Drummond. Cousins...maybe or maybe not. Talent wise, he is probably tops of that group. It's the other issues.

I'm still holding out hope for Drummond for cousins. I like Andre a lot but think cousins is a unique talent if you can get him with the right coach.

He's a unique, dominating talent with an awful coaching situation. I would love this to get done in some form. They can have Montiejunas and picks too

Cousins is in a class above those guys IMO

Drummond isn't.

... I have to believe that right now, SVG is pretty comfortable with what he's built and is going to see what becomes of it in the future. This squad, in my best guess, will be given the chance to play a full year together. If it's not extremely improved by the trade deadline next year then I'll a) be very surpised, and b) expect to see wholesale changes being made...

I think that full year is actually going to be 3 years.

The rest of this season, next year, and the following year. And half of the 2018-19 season. Unless we get another "upgrade" trade offer for 1 of our top 9 guys, which will be harder to do, I don't see any of Drummond, D-MO, Harris, Morris, Stanley, KCP, Hilliard, RJ, or Baynes moved.

He's going to develop them as much as he can. They're pretty much all still young. And impressionable, and improvable (except for Baynes who is probably as refined as he'll ever be). All of those players (except Baynes) have the room, and the capability to improve, some significantly.

At the trade deadline of 2019, 3 years hence, if one of those 9 is not carrying his weight, at that point I see SVG moving that player out.

Unless we're offered some kind of no-brainer trade before then. But only on that basis.

That's just my 'pinion...

I have no interest in Cousins I've decided...

I've mulled being interested in Cousins or not for quite awhile. Mostly I was not interested in him.

But at this point... I'm switching.

I think I would definitely make the trade Drummond for Cousins. And try to keep additional pieces going to the Kings at only draft picks. Drummond and two 1sts for Cousins...? I think we/SVG says yes. They probably say no, but I think it's still in the ballpark.

If it involves several of our players, it gets more tricky.

But... I think with SVG coaching, he'd get the most possible out of Cousins. And IMO, Cousins would now be the missing piece to rocket us to the top.

Previously, I did not think we had the team to make the trade. And with good young players, their value increases as they get better. I felt we needed to let them grow and increase their value, otherwise we're selling them at low value. Now their value is increasing (generally, but specifically including Drummond's) which means we don't dump them at a low value. A year ago too much was unproven... the year (this year) to let the youngsters grow was pretty critical IMO.

I'm inclined to believe the Kings would take Drummond and two 1sts, and maybe a smaller piece, and do that trade.

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

Well... Maybe I'd give Drummond at least 1 more year to see how much he can improve with another year under SVG. You gotta think that AD still has a lot of room to really grow. Especially just consistency energy-wise, which SVG keeps harping on. If he makes some strides defensively, improves his post game, gets his FT's to at least 50% or so...

I don't know, I might still be waffling at this point. But it's closer to 50/50 now than 100% keep Drummond over Cousins...

With the free throw issue and the fact that Cousins is more of a go to scorer type, I don't think you can pass up getting Cousins.

With the free throw issue and the fact that Cousins is more of a go to scorer type, I don't think you can pass up getting Cousins.

A few negatives to me:

1) Cousins is not an efficient scorer. (Maybe a better surrounding team and SVG would fix that...?)

2) Therefore, he takes too many shots. (Maybe fixed by: see above...).

3) Drummond still has so much room to grow. 1 more year I think, and we should be able to determine whether moving him would be premature, or whether it's the right move to make. I think Drummond has the potential to be a premier defender, shot-blocker, rebounder in this league. And effective offensively. With a FT-shooting weakness. Is that enough to keep him over trading for Cousins? Probably not. But I'm still thinking I wanna give him that 1 more year to see how much he can grow under SVG...

4) by the end of next year, Drummond might be the better defender than Cousins. He's not this year. But if he is by the end of next year, then he's a better defender and rebounder than Cousins. Makes it tougher on judging the merits of making this trade...

Cousin's positives:

1) He's better than Drummond. Especially offensively.

2) He'll be cheaper than Drummond for the next two years, after Drummond signs his Max. ~$16M versus ~$22M.

What trade works for the Kings? They want to dump Rudy Gay as well? I don't think that's good for us but just on a guess, the Kings demand a Cousins/RG trade for Drummond/ SJ/ and KCP, plus a 1st or two... Do we do that trade?

I think I want to wait out Drummond for at least another year before I decide...

All of his post moves from last year. Even if you don't watch it, watch the up and under at 18 seconds. Reminds you of his former coach.

mgUvN9a-seQ

Whoa! That is an awesome video....if this guy is healthy, this is James Edwards 2.0 but much younger. I love it!

If Dre could just shoot his free throws, he'd be an amazing player. Maybe it's obvious to everyone, but I get the real sense that he tries to limit his contact and therefore his offensive game because he's trying to avoid the foul. If he shoots FTs well enough that he can be aggressive, he'd be a real tough player to stop.

But yeah kinda wishful thinking at this point.

Whoa! That is an awesome video....if this guy is healthy, this is James Edwards 2.0 but much younger. I love it!

Considering his shooting skills (including 3's) and passing as well, he looks a lot like the Darko we wished for, but never got.

If Dre could just shoot his free throws, he'd be an amazing player. Maybe it's obvious to everyone, but I get the real sense that he tries to limit his contact and therefore his offensive game because he's trying to avoid the foul. If he shoots FTs well enough that he can be aggressive, he'd be a real tough player to stop.

I think the line of thought about the shot being too soft for some big guys may have some merit - of course that being the case, I wonder that more big guys who don't shot fouls well don't deliberately shoot their FTs off the backboard. Wouldn't that allow them to concentrate more on the spot and less on the touch? Yeah, if your are a good shooter that is not optimum, but we're not talking about good shooters.

watching the DM clips made me think about that since he uses the board so much.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I think the line of thought about the shot being too soft for some big guys may have some merit - of course that being the case, I wonder that more big guys who don't shot fouls well don't deliberately shoot their FTs off the backboard. Wouldn't that allow them to concentrate more on the spot and less on the touch? Yeah, if your are a good shooter that is not optimum, but we're not talking about good shooters.

watching the DM clips made me think about that since he uses the board so much.

That could have something to do with it, but it's certainly not the whole story. Not sure what the answer is other to change his mechanics to something quite different or at least something that feels quite different to Dre.

Even though internet users think it should be easy, FT shooting isn't a very commonly improved facet of NBA players' games. Odds are Drummond won't ever get a whole lot better. Its no a matter of him being unwilling to practice either IMO.

Even though internet users think it should be easy, FT shooting isn't a very commonly improved facet of NBA players' games. Odds are Drummond won't ever get a whole lot better. Its no a matter of him being unwilling to practice either IMO.

That's what I think he has to at least try something really different, either a bank or a 2 handed shot or keep his knees flexed throughout or something. Something with different muscle memory.

That's what I think he has to at least try something really different, either a bank or a 2 handed shot or keep his knees flexed throughout or something. Something with different muscle memory.

Yup