holygoat

Pistons acquire Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton

Coming off of the Harris trade which I praised SVG for, I'm not seeing the love for this trade. I hope I'm wrong. I see us needing a backup PG and a backup big man that can rebound/block and instead we give up a 15-20 pick in the draft for a big man with a broken back who can't rebound or block shots along with an undersized SG who shoots a pretty average percentage. I'm rarely a fan of giving up first round picks unless you're a top 4 team or you're getting a starter in return and I just don't see how these players fill our the biggest needs. Our defense has been terrible and this does nothing to help that.

It's definitely not the slam dunk the Harris trade was. But looking at previous drafts and what kind of players are available with mid round picks, it is unlikely we are giving up much more than a decent rotation player, which is what we are getting in D-Mo. D-Mo comes with the back problems and the impending free agency but he also comes more proven and we are getting a guy that is three years ahead of the developmental curve that any rookie we draft will likely go thru...and he can help us make the playoffs this year. So that is a fair trade off in my mind. I can see both sides of this deal.

Well it does look like Montiejunas is ready to go at least. He had an apparently solid 3 game stint in the D-League prior to the All-Star break.

A few thoughts on this trade:

--SVG giving up a 1st in this summer's draft should tell us what we need to know about how high he is on DMo. Apples to oranges perhaps, but it reminds me of how he went all-in on RJ last year.

--I'm not sure how Thornton fits this year, but he does give SVG a proven scorer who can get his own shot off the bench. A direct Meeks replacement, sans elite 3pt upside. Good FT shooter for end of games as a bonus.

--DMo was thought to be favored by many in the Rockets' organization last year, where he was in direct competition with Jones coming into this season for minutes. He could, conceivably, be the starting PF next season . . .or even at some point this season. He's a very good team defender (rotates well, knows when and how to help) and is as good at drawing charges as Ersan.

--He could easily be thought of as a direct replacement for Ersan. Abstractly? He could make Drummond a massive trade chip for this summer to haul in whatever SVG wants. If SVG wanted to save a chip for a one-and-done franchise changer, this would be his chance.

--Like Harris of late, I really think Houston was holding him out of games while working on a deal to get him on a plane as healthy as possible.

--What will the rotation look like by the playoffs? Is SVG going to try to get a backup PG now, or just roll with Blake/Dinwiddie?

C--Drummond/Baynes/DMo

F--DMo/Harris/Morris/Tolliver

F--Morris/Johnson/Harris

SG--KCP/Johnson/Thornton/Hilliard

PG--RJ/Blake/Hilliard

Who knows how the rotation will shake out by then, but there is one thing that looks certain--someone is gone before the start of next year.

One of Morris, Harris, KCP or Stanimal is going to be the odd man out, considering what SVG just gave up for DMo.

Morris is the most attractive, potentially, if we want to trade back into the first round this season. His contract is just too good to ignore. How much does SVG value his leadership vs the upside of his newly acquired players?

Stanimal was drafted as the future SF, but these recent trades have clouded that forcast. There would be suitors for him and that rookie contract.

KCP may be the obvious choice to deal because he offers the least flexibility on the floor. How much does SVG value that D?

Harris could be flipped to a few places, we'll have to see how he fits in. How much will his work in the community play? He better start making corner threes again . . .

Stanimal is going nowhere. SVG loves him and rightfully so. Probably the most untouchable player on the roster IMO.

I'd say Morris would be the most likely out of that group due to his bargain contract peaking value. Harris would be next on the list if he performs poorly this season but I'd think that SVG would value his versatility very highly even if his production dips.

You're right though. I see some moves on the horizon to clear out some bodies from positions of strength to fill a position of weakness. The roster is almost overstacked at this point.

The one glaring weakness is backup PG. I wonder if SVG looks to scour the waiver wire because they can't go with Blake for the rest of the season if they hope to contend for anything.

Stanimal is going nowhere. SVG loves him and rightfully so. Probably the most untouchable player on the roster IMO.

I'd say Morris would be the most likely out of that group due to his bargain contract peaking value. Harris would be next on the list if he performs poorly this season but I'd think that SVG would value his versatility very highly even if his production dips.

You're right though. I see some moves on the horizon to clear out some bodies from positions of strength to fill a position of weakness. The roster is almost overstacked at this point.

The one glaring weakness is backup PG. I wonder if SVG looks to scour the waiver wire because they can't go with Blake for the rest of the season if they hope to contend for anything.

I beg to differ on Harris. I think he is as untouchable as anybody on this team now aside from Drummond. You know SVG loves shooters and that is one thing Harris gives you and SJ does not...though I agree he loves SJ as well. Harris is his new Rashard Lewis.

... You're right though. I see some moves on the horizon to clear out some bodies from positions of strength to fill a position of weakness. The roster is almost overstacked at this point...

I beg to differ with you guys.

I don't see anyone getting moved. Not unless SVG gets overwhelmed with a "no-brainer". Or until their contract runs out.

D-MO and Drummond sign, KCP gets extended, and then you're talking about Harris or Morris 2-3 years down the line. Maybe Morris with 1 year left on his contract (that's still 2.5 years away...).

Think about it:

RJ-KCP-Stanley-Harris-Drummond

Dinwiddie(or better backup PG)-Hilliard-Morris-D-MO-Baynes

With lots of position and game flexibility, coverage for injuries, fouls, etc... Why would SVG give any of that up with ANY of these young guys?

Like I said, maybe if he gets a no-brainer offer for someone... Otherwise, I do NOT see him trading ANY of those top 9 rotation guys (not counting Dinwiddie).

I think we are set for the next 2.5 years at least with this team.

Adjustments to the roster will simply be at the back end. Dinwiddie or find a better backup PG? Two better PG's? Dump Meeks and re-sign Thornton? Or wait till Meeks contract is done after 2016-17 & then find a shooter to replace him? Is Bullock anything other than a pumpkin? Do we keep Tolliver? Replace him? Get him back on a cheaper contract? How do we fill the 15th roster spot? Draft a 2nd round Euro-Center? Grab a 4th PG (give Will Cummings outta the D-League a shot?) These are the ONLY questions we'll be asking over the next 2 and a half years, with back up PG obviously the biggest issue for the team.

Unless... some kind of no-brainer blockbuster trade presents itself to SVG. Otherwise, this is pretty much it guys.

I beg to differ on Harris. I think he is as untouchable as anybody on this team now aside from Drummond. You know SVG loves shooters and that is one thing Harris gives you and SJ does not...though I agree he loves SJ as well. Harris is his new Rashard Lewis.

Yeah, possibly. I'm just spitballing.

Harris isn't shooting well this season though so I don't know if I'd classify him as a high end shooter in an Lewis-Orlando version mold.

I just don't see SVG dealing Stanley at all unless he gets blown away with an offer.

I wasn't saying Stanimal was going on the block, as SVG definitely loves him. But the backcourt, in my opinion, is not set . . . and not just at backup point guard. One SVG's guards, ideally, needs to knock down 40% of his threes. This could mean packaging something like KCP and someone else for Reddick/Korver/Middleton/Barton type of player, or it could mean that we slide RJ over to a high-usage SG role and fill the pg spot with a 3-and-D youngster like Schroder/Bledsoe/MCW . . . maybe even Rubio.

Backup PG, as Del alluded to, could be addressed in a post-deadline pickup. Improving on Blake shouldn't be difficult. If SVG has to wait until summer to do it, then so be it.

The other thing about this trade is it allows us to rely even less on Drummond. If he cannot improve his free throw shooting or defense, he's going to be finding himself sitting on the bench a lot moving forward.

The other thing about this trade is it allows us to rely even less on Drummond. If he cannot improve his free throw shooting or defense, he's going to be finding himself sitting on the bench a lot moving forward.

No, he's not

No, he's not

He's been benched for Baynes numerous times this season. D Mo is a better player than Baynes.... So now we have 2 guys that can take his minutes if he doesn't improve. Don't really follow your counter argument.

As someone who handles personal injury claims all over the country, he very wary of "minimally invasive back surgery."

First, there is no such thing as minor surgery and there is no such thing as minimally invasive surgery. It's a name they stick on it to sell it. Its a procedure that is highly criticized by a lot of surgeons. I also have some medical malpractice cases with that type of procedure. A lot of them.

I would be be worried about donuts.

Also, to betrayers point, svg is relying a lot on Drummond improving his defense by leaps and bounds. Or he's planning on seeing what he can get for him in a trade...

He's been benched for Baynes numerous times this season. D Mo is a better player than Baynes.... So now we have 2 guys that can take his minutes if he doesn't improve. Don't really follow your counter argument.

He's the focal point of our system, he's our best player, he's 23 years old and he's about to given a ginormous contract. ARe there points where his weaknesses get exposed and he will sit on the bench for a time? Sure. Is it ever going to make us a better team if he "finds himself sitting on the bench a lot going forward"? Absolutely not.

As someone who handles personal injury claims all over the country, he very wary of "minimally invasive back surgery."

First, there is no such thing as minor surgery and there is no such thing as minimally invasive surgery. It's a name they stick on it to sell it. Its a procedure that is highly criticized by a lot of surgeons. I also have some medical malpractice cases with that type of procedure. A lot of them.

I would be be worried about donuts.

Also, to betrayers point, svg is relying a lot on Drummond improving his defense by leaps and bounds. Or he's planning on seeing what he can get for him in a trade...

There is a study on pubmed about this surgery with athletes. From memory, they said something like 75%-100% come back and play for like 2.5-4.5 years after, but they don't seem to put up as good of baseline stats. It is somewhat dependent on the sport as well, as one would expect. Just read the abstract so I don't know how they quantified the statistical part.

Donuts is young so that probably helps but he's also tall so maybe that wouldn't.

There is a study on pubmed about this surgery with athletes. From memory, they said something like 75%-100% come back and play for like 2.5-4.5 years after, but they don't seem to put up as good of baseline stats. It is somewhat dependent on the sport as well, as one would expect. Just read the abstract so I don't know how they quantified the statistical part.

Donuts is young so that probably helps but he's also tall so maybe that wouldn't.

The fact that he's so young and in excellent physical shape separates him from most of the people i see get back surgery (who are usually older and fat, I.e. americans).

I'm still wary about big men and backs. I guess it's better than foot problems.

I think anyone uttering the phrase "untouchable" when referring to any of the players on this team are out of their minds. We have one All-Star player and until he becomes less of a liability defensively and they change the rules to prevent Bang-a-Drum he isn't even untouchable.

I don't think we can count on D-Mo to be a replacement for Drummond by any stretch so I doubt he gets traded anytime soon without a valid replacement (unless Stan is comfortable with Baynes at the 5). I think that talk is pretty premature.

I have to believe that right now, SVG is pretty comfortable with what he's built and is going to see what becomes of it in the future. This squad, in my best guess, will be given the chance to play a full year together. If it's not extremely improved by the trade deadline next year then I'll a) be very surpised, and b) expect to see wholesale changes being made. If we make no changes, all 5 of our starters should age into their primes together.

This is as close as we've come to the early 2000's as we've been with 5 starters that at anytime can lift the team. Heck, if Drummond can just improve his D, I don't even care about his FT shooting. Just become a dominant rim protector. Stop practicing FT's and start focusing on Defense. He starts blocking 3 shots a game, and becomes a more disciplined guy and the sky is the limit for this team IMHO. There's enough offense already to hang with any team in the league. The bench (if D-Mo is healthy) is top notch going forward with Baynes, D-Mo, SJ/Morris, Thornton/Hilliard, and Blake.

Pretty big risk to give up a #1 pick for a big man with a history of back problems.

No Bobby Portis's in the middle or back end of this draft upcoming. I mean you are likely to have Caris LEvert being the best player on the board at the projected draft slot, would you rather have him over the chance to get a 7-footer with skills.

You aren't the only one that's thought about that as a possibility.

He's the focal point of our system, he's our best player, he's 23 years old and he's about to given a ginormous contract. ARe there points where his weaknesses get exposed and he will sit on the bench for a time? Sure. Is it ever going to make us a better team if he "finds himself sitting on the bench a lot going forward"? Absolutely not.

Hes already found himself on the bench watching in crunch time because he's the worst foul shooter in league history and can't defend anyone. SVG has played Baynes over him. That should be embarrassing. Nice backup center but come on. Motiejunas is much better than Baynes when healthy. You think SVG will be running Dre out there over those 2 if he keeps up what he's doing? I'm not saying he'll be permanently benched but he's not going to be there when it matters most.... And that's what anyone should expect out of a max contract guy.

Hes already found himself on the bench watching in crunch time because he's the worst foul shooter in league history and can't defend anyone. SVG has played Baynes over him. That should be embarrassing. Nice backup center but come on. Motiejunas is much better than Baynes when healthy. You think SVG will be running Dre out there over those 2 if he keeps up what he's doing? I'm not saying he'll be permanently benched but he's not going to be there when it matters most.... And that's what anyone should expect out of a max contract guy.

That's why I am unopposed to moving Drummond. I don't necessarily see it happening, but seeing him dealt wouldn't surprise me either.

I can find a flaw in every player on the roster easier than I can find them in Drummond, that's what I think.

Drummond is rated by RPM as a top 25 player, and again, not even 23. His impact on the game is huge. I would hesitate more to bench him at any given time than to pay him max money.

I can find a flaw in every player on the roster easier than I can find them in Drummond, that's what I think.

Drummond is rated by RPM as a top 25 player, and again, not even 23. His impact on the game is huge. I would hesitate more to bench him at any given time than to pay him max money.

He is the worst free throw shooter in league history. Don't know of any more obvious flaws exist, lol. Pretty important aspect of the game considering he's been benched numerous times because of it.

I'm not saying you don't sign him because they have to. You give him his money and hope for the best. But his flaws are much more harmful for this team than I think a lot of people realize... Especially if we are building this team around him.

He is the worst free throw shooter in league history. Don't know of any more obvious flaws exist, lol. Pretty important aspect of the game considering he's been benched numerous times because of it.

I'm not saying you don't sign him because they have to. You give him his money and hope for the best. But his flaws are much more harmful for this team than I think a lot of people realize... Especially if we are building this team around him.

The FT is obviously a titanic flaw. The max for AD is what, $21M/$22M? Tobias Harris got $17M. So of course you sign Drummond and of course he's worth it, even if he has to be benched when he's fouled (less likely next year).

That's fine, but the way you're talking, his plusses are clearly more helpul than a lot of people realize

That's fine, but the way you're talking, his plusses are clearly more helpul than a lot of people realize

Better pass that along to SVG because all I've been saying is what has actually happened. You don't think adding a solid guy like D Mo is going to impact it even more? SVG already said he's going to play some 5.

Drummond needs to get better. SVG has said that too. He's a great player but his deficiencies are so absolutely terrible that it's more than just a guy having flaws. We all know Jackson isn't very good defensively.... But it's no where near the liability Dre is at the line.