holygoat

Pistons acquire Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton

I don't think he'll get offered as much as Anderson. We shall see. I swear it was you who said Anderson was a back haha, must have misremembered.

I might have.

$15M per is what a healthy Montiejunas will get, in that area at least.

The dude apparently has a good post up game, that's something the team could use. 50%ish shooter from inside the arc for his career

I love watching him in the post, he has amazing feet.

Might not be this year, but he will eventually be the starting PF. Most likely coming out of camp next year. Of course it depends on him staying healthy.

All of his post moves from last year. Even if you don't watch it, watch the up and under at 18 seconds. Reminds you of his former coach.

mgUvN9a-seQ

Looks good Del. Assume they'll renounce Thornton, Blake, and Tolliver. So they'll have plenty of room to sign a quality backup PG and possibly bring back Tolliver on a cheap deal.

pretty disgusted watching NBATV...only one team has made multiple moves to improve their team and they haven't said a thing about them.

I have 80.2 million committed for next season. Assuming they keep their second rounder that's roughly 81 million.

That leaves anywhere from 8-11 million in space depending on the cap. That should be plenty of space to add a backup PG.

Now I'm confused

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 6m6 minutes ago

Detroit has traded Joel Anthony to Philadelphia, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Edit: ok now it makes sense

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 41s41 seconds ago

To be clearer: Anthony goes to Sixers through Houston, who acquired him from Detroit in 3-player trade. Rockets ship out second-round pick.

I have 80.2 million committed for next season. Assuming they keep their second rounder that's roughly 81 million.

That leaves anywhere from 8-11 million in space depending on the cap. That should be plenty of space to add a backup PG.

Not that it makes a huge difference. But 2nd round picks don't count against the cap until they sign. And you can always go over the cap to sign them. So they can do their FA stuff and then sign the pick.

Terrence Jones/Donatas Motiejunas, PF, Rockets

Which NBA players are poised to become breakout stars this season? | SI.com

One of these guys is likely to start next to Trevor Ariza and Dwight Howard in the Houston frontcourt, leaving the other to play a presumably meaningful role off the bench. Jones has more experience playing with Dwight Howard (1,617 minutes across the last two years, compared to only 790 for Motiejunas), but the Rockets have fared slightly better when Dwight and Donuts (embrace it) have shared the floor, outscoring opponents by about 3.5 extra points per 100 possessions.

Both Jones (33 games played) and Motiejunas (55) were hampered by injuries last season. With Jones on the mend, Motiejunas emerged as one of the NBA’s most effective post-up weapons, showing both touch and dexterity en route to leading the NBA in points per play out of the paint. Given Howard’s severely limited offense, a post-heavy arsenal doesn’t exactly make for a good frontcourt match. That said, Howard does draw a ton of help (particularly on hard rolls to a rim), which in turn creates perimeter opportunities aplenty for James Harden & Co.

The question of which one of the two really pops next year will likely boil down to who can stretch his jumper most. Oddly, both players actually decreased the percentage of their shot attempts that came from beyond the arc last season, which presents a problem for Houston's offensive ceiling

When comparing the two, Motiejunas not only took a higher percentage of his shots from deep (he took more threes last season than Jones has taken in his career); he also converted at a slightly higher clip. Because of Houston’s bevy of threats elsewhere on the floor, whoever fills this role should see plenty of easy looks — a kind of power-forward version of Golden State’s Harrison Barnes. Should one of the two consistently succeed at making the opposition pay, he’ll likely secure not only a regular starting gig, but a hefty payday next summer as well.

Not that it makes a huge difference. But 2nd round picks don't count against the cap until they sign. And you can always go over the cap to sign them. So they can do their FA stuff and then sign the pick.

Ah okay! I've seen cap projections of anywhere from 89-92 million.... We could really be a force next season if all goes according to plan.

Acquiring Harris and D Mo is awesome.... And Thornton helps to replace Meeks. I think it speaks volumes that we still needed serious talent upgrades. 54-54 since we cut Smith. Hopefully these moves combined with our young pieces developing lead us to the next level

A few thoughts on this trade:

--SVG giving up a 1st in this summer's draft should tell us what we need to know about how high he is on DMo. Apples to oranges perhaps, but it reminds me of how he went all-in on RJ last year.

--I'm not sure how Thornton fits this year, but he does give SVG a proven scorer who can get his own shot off the bench. A direct Meeks replacement, sans elite 3pt upside. Good FT shooter for end of games as a bonus.

--DMo was thought to be favored by many in the Rockets' organization last year, where he was in direct competition with Jones coming into this season for minutes. He could, conceivably, be the starting PF next season . . .or even at some point this season. He's a very good team defender (rotates well, knows when and how to help) and is as good at drawing charges as Ersan.

--He could easily be thought of as a direct replacement for Ersan. Abstractly? He could make Drummond a massive trade chip for this summer to haul in whatever SVG wants. If SVG wanted to save a chip for a one-and-done franchise changer, this would be his chance.

--Like Harris of late, I really think Houston was holding him out of games while working on a deal to get him on a plane as healthy as possible.

--What will the rotation look like by the playoffs? Is SVG going to try to get a backup PG now, or just roll with Blake/Dinwiddie?

C--Drummond/Baynes/DMo

F--DMo/Harris/Morris/Tolliver

F--Morris/Johnson/Harris

SG--KCP/Johnson/Thornton/Hilliard

PG--RJ/Blake/Hilliard

Who knows how the rotation will shake out by then, but there is one thing that looks certain--someone is gone before the start of next year.

One of Morris, Harris, KCP or Stanimal is going to be the odd man out, considering what SVG just gave up for DMo.

Morris is the most attractive, potentially, if we want to trade back into the first round this season. His contract is just too good to ignore. How much does SVG value his leadership vs the upside of his newly acquired players?

Stanimal was drafted as the future SF, but these recent trades have clouded that forcast. There would be suitors for him and that rookie contract.

KCP may be the obvious choice to deal because he offers the least flexibility on the floor. How much does SVG value that D?

Harris could be flipped to a few places, we'll have to see how he fits in. How much will his work in the community play? He better start making corner threes again . . .

Buyouts are coming for some that didn't get traded. I would wait and see who gets one and hope its a PG.

Rumor was Lawson might get one if he wasn't traded. Guy is talented if he can get off the Jesus juice and get his head right. I might take a chance on him for the rest of the year. But if he is going to be a backup my guess is he goes to a contender.

--SVG giving up a 1st in this summer's draft should tell us what we need to know about how high he is on DMo. Apples to oranges perhaps, but it reminds me of how he went all-in on RJ last year.

--I'm not sure how Thornton fits this year, but he does give SVG a proven scorer who can get his own shot off the bench. A direct Meeks replacement, sans elite 3pt upside. Good FT shooter for end of games as a bonus.

--DMo was thought to be favored by many in the Rockets' organization last year, where he was in direct competition with Jones coming into this season for minutes. He could, conceivably, be the starting PF next season . . .or even at some point this season. He's a very good team defender (rotates well, knows when and how to help) and is as good at drawing charges as Ersan.

--He could easily be thought of as a direct replacement for Ersan. Abstractly? He could make Drummond a massive trade chip for this summer to haul in whatever SVG wants. If SVG wanted to save a chip for a one-and-done franchise changer, this would be his chance.

--Like Harris of late, I really think Houston was holding him out of games while working on a deal to get him on a plane as healthy as possible.

--What will the rotation look like by the playoffs? Is SVG going to try to get a backup PG now, or just roll with Blake/Dinwiddie?

C--Drummond/Baynes/DMo

F--DMo/Harris/Morris/Tolliver

F--Morris/Johnson/Harris

SG--KCP/Johnson/Thornton/Hilliard

PG--RJ/Blake/Hilliard

Who knows how the rotation will shake out by then, but there is one thing that looks certain--someone is gone before the start of next year.

One of Morris, Harris, KCP or Stanimal is going to be the odd man out, considering what SVG just gave up for DMo.

Morris is the most attractive, potentially, if we want to trade back into the first round this season. His contract is just too good to ignore. How much does SVG value his leadership vs the upside of his newly acquired players?

Stanimal was drafted as the future SF, but these recent trades have clouded that forcast. There would be suitors for him and that rookie contract.

KCP may be the obvious choice to deal because he offers the least flexibility on the floor. How much does SVG value that D?

Harris could be flipped to a few places, we'll have to see how he fits in. How much will his work in the community play? He better start making corner threes again . . .

A lot depends on where Harris fits best. Is he small forward or power forward? IMO, he starts at one of the forward positions no matter what.

Buyouts are coming for some that didn't get traded. I would wait and see who gets one and hope its a PG.

Rumor was Lawson might get one if he wasn't traded. Guy is talented if he can get off the Jesus juice and get his head right. I might take a chance on him for the rest of the year. But if he is going to be a backup my guess is he goes to a contender.

That would really only leave four teams for him to go to according to what many are saying. Still, I think Lawson is probably looking for a larger role than the Pistons can offer.

So if the Pistons go 16-12 over the final 28 games, that puts them in line for the 6th or 7th seed, meaning 8 or 9 teams from the east picking ahead of them. And that would probably include at least 7 west teams behind them and maybe even 9.

So that pick, should the Pistons get the 6 or 7 seed, is probably in the 16-18 range. That is not really a big deal, especially given the core of players they have built up for the next few seasons.

... but there is one thing that looks certain--someone is gone before the start of next year.

... One of Morris, Harris, KCP or Stanimal is going to be the odd man out, considering what SVG just gave up for DMo.

I'll take a turn:

If D-Mo is starting with Drummond, he'll end up staying outside the line, so's not to clutter the lane. I don't think that's the most effective usage of D-Mo.

And you think one of these core guys is going to be sent packing? I don't see it. I guess what I'm looking at is rotations, and therefore, I don't see anyone of significance getting traded. We're at that point where the best way to improve the team is by the draft or signing a free agent. There are very few trades we can make at this point that nets us a Gain in talent. The risk is netting us a Loss in talent in our next trade. And I don't see gains in roster flexibility/ position improvement by moving one of the guys you're suggesting. Certainly not at this point...

A couple assumptions: I think SVG renounces Thornton, Blake, and Tolliver as Sydney suggests; but SVG will then re-sign Tolliver to be the 3rd PF. Thornton gets re-signed only IF Meeks gets traded. But I think they will actively try to move him (Meeks) even if it costs us. So I'm going to assume we DO re-sign Thornton, cheap. And somewhere we find a good BackUp PG (BUPG), even if it's in the draft, to push Dinwiddie, or more likely: push him to 3rd string.

That being said, if we're looking at rotations, it's:

1) Highest usage (starting) lineup: RJ, KCP, Stanimal, Harris, Drummond.

2) Primary bench unit: BUPG, Hilliard, Morris, D-Mo, Baynes

3) Special Roles: Dinwiddie gets a few minutes as 3rd PG but not much, Thornton plays some as a gunner-off-the-bench (10-12 min's/ game average?), D-MO plays some alongside Drummond but as an outside shooter (cutting out his post abilities), D-MO also gets some time at Center but not against any "bruisers".

That's basically 11 rotation guys (Thornton only bit minutes), with D-MO averaging 20-25-ish minutes between bench PF, matchup PF with Drummond, and matchup Center for spot minutes.

That's how I see it; and that says none of the guys you suggest getting traded are actually going to be (IMO).

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

That would really only leave four teams for him to go to according to what many are saying. Still, I think Lawson is probably looking for a larger role than the Pistons can offer.

Of course he is, but he isn't getting it this year. Everyone is capped out right now and cant give him a big deal. So he signs with someone for the remainder of the year and tries to get his deal this summer. He isn't going to go play in Brooklyn for the rest of the year. He will try to nab a ring, show he can contribute to a contender, and score big this summer.

Coming off of the Harris trade which I praised SVG for, I'm not seeing the love for this trade. I hope I'm wrong. I see us needing a backup PG and a backup big man that can rebound/block and instead we give up a 15-20 pick in the draft for a big man with a broken back who can't rebound or block shots along with an undersized SG who shoots a pretty average percentage. I'm rarely a fan of giving up first round picks unless you're a top 4 team or you're getting a starter in return and I just don't see how these players fill our the biggest needs. Our defense has been terrible and this does nothing to help that.

All of his post moves from last year. Even if you don't watch it, watch the up and under at 18 seconds. Reminds you of his former coach.

mgUvN9a-seQ

Nice post game. Same basic moves, but the footwork keeps the defender guessing which way the one handed is going to come from.

Looking at he Pistons cap hit, project 92 million salary 2016-17, 110 million Luxury tax, can go over to sign their restricted.

Pistons have 73 million committed for next year including Drummond/Motiejunas.

Projected

Drummond at $4.43 -> $21 million + 16.5

Motiejunas at $3.27 -> $14 million + 10.7

$100 million committed, so they have about $10 million to spend on another player, then sign Drummond/Motiejunas, gets them to LT threshold, which is where they are at this year.

Should be able to fill backup PG with that much, especially if they can get rid of Meeks. No Pick next year, and they can lock up KCP the year after when the cap jumps another 20 million.

It's a good time in the NBA to have youth, you may be able to keep them together.