A.J.K.

Dickerson & Impemba to trade broadcasting roles at times during 2016 season

Mario is fine, technically, but his voice annoys me and he's so vanilla. Rod at least says something funny every once in awhile and I bet he'd have a better rapport with Dan.

I get the impression Mario and Rod are just not a great match. Mario seems to interact much more when other people are in the booth, for instance with Gibson..

I was on a flight last week from LA, and Gibby and Mario were both on it, too. Clearly they were traveling together, but not sure why. They hung out in the gate area together at LAX and you could tell they enjoyed each other's company. What was interesting was when we landed in Detroit, Gibby was in First Class and waited in the gate area for Mario, who was in the back of the plane (I was waiting on a work colleague and observed this). Mario seemed genuinely touched that Gibby had waited for him. Gibby seems to have come a long way from when he used to bully his former partner, Josh Lewin, on the air.

I get the impression Mario and Rod are just not a great match. Mario seems to interact much more when other people are in the booth, for instance with Gibson..

I think you are probably right. I found the back and forth during Gibson's games to be better.

I was on a flight last week from LA, and Gibby and Mario were both on it, too. Clearly they were traveling together, but not sure why. They hung out in the gate area together at LAX and you could tell they enjoyed each other's company. What was interesting was when we landed in Detroit, Gibby was in First Class and waited in the gate area for Mario, who was in the back of the plane (I was waiting on a work colleague and observed this). Mario seemed genuinely touched that Gibby had waited for him. Gibby seems to have come a long way from when he used to bully his former partner, Josh Lewin, on the air.

I always thought the Gibson - Lewin deal was in fun.

Other teams do this

True. Heck, the Mud Hens have done this during the game. PBP starts on radio for a few innings, goes to TV for a few innings, back to the radio for the end of the game.

When George Kell and Ernie Harwell (and, before that, Kell and Van Patrick) worked together, they'd switch between radio and TV during each game. This stopped in 1965 as a way to lure Kell (who'd retired from broadcasting a couple years earlier because he disliked being away from home so much) back to the booth. Since there were only 40 or 50 televised games each year back then, George wouldn't have to be on the road all summer like he would doing every game on radio.

I wish they would replace Price. He is brutal

Price is a unique tie to the team history though, and I think having that span of memory that is just about as long as any of the fans' adds something that is particularly effective for a radio broadcast that can't be duplicated any other way. Right now there is no-one near the organization with broadcast skill that has the kind of institutional memory span Price does. After Price there will be no-one left from 68, and really there isn't even anyone from '84 or since with long association with the team and radio skill. Morris and Gibson have the skills (and of course are in the TV booth now) but both of them have spent more time away from the team than around it since they played here. Trammell, Tommy Brookens and to some degree Lance have that kind of history in the org (though Lance not so much with the Det team), but none went into broadcasting.

I think FSD is not happy with their television team. Switching out Rod Allen at time and now Mario. I really am not found of Rod, I can take or leave Mario. I wish FSD would go in a different direction. Perhaps bring in a different player who isn't Monroe.

I think FSD is not happy with their television team. Switching out Rod Allen at time and now Mario. I really am not found of Rod, I can take or leave Mario. I wish FSD would go in a different direction. Perhaps bring in a different player who isn't Monroe.

Price is 75 yrs old. Put Dickerson, Price and Gibson in one both - do a simulcast with the 3 man booth for a couple years until Price retires. Put Monroe on the field/stands - problem solved.

The only thing that stands in the way is advertising money - the in game radio endorsements don't work with a simulcast.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Price is 75 yrs old. Put Dickerson, Price and Gibson in one both - do a simulcast with the 3 man booth for a couple years until Price retires. Put Monroe on the field/stands - problem solved.

The only thing that stands in the way is advertising money - the in game radio endorsements don't work with a simulcast.

I don't think Gibby wants to work a full load of games because of his health. If he did, Rob would probably be gone. I have never liked the broadcast team on Rod/Mario, Rod Allen is terrible and his catch phrases wore thin his first season.

He's got a great 40 time.

Football is 100% measurables. The bigger, stronger, and faster teams usually score more points.

They should team up Rod and Jimbo, and they could spend the entire broadcast trading their one liners:

Rod: "He's country strong. Hit that ball all the way to 7 Mile!"

Jim: "Nice area."

Next pitch is a strike on the outside corner.

Jim: "Late movement. Art of pitching."

Rod: "I see ya, pahdnah!"

• Like 1

On 2/17/2016 at 11:40 AM, chasfh said:

I like Dan on radio because he is exactly as descriptive of the action as I like him to be. He'll tell you what kind of pitch it was, how fast, and where it was located vis a vis the zone. I hope he continues that even though we have the picture in front of us.

I have low expectations for Mario on radio. It wouldn't take much for him to exceed them, and yet I don't like his chances to, either.

Thats part of what makes Doc Emerick, the great hockey broadcaster, such a joy to listen to on television is how he treats it like a radio broadcast.

On 2/17/2016 at 11:40 AM, chasfh said:

I have low expectations for Mario on radio. It wouldn't take much for him to exceed them, and yet I don't like his chances to, either.

I believe Mario's bio says he did Angels games on the radio for 7 years. That's a market where there are a 1000 guys waiting to take your job everyday - so he couldn't have been too bad at it!

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

I believe Mario's bio says he did Angels games on the radio for 7 years. That's a market where there are a 1000 guys waiting to take your job everyday - so he couldn't have been too bad at it!

OK.  Flip side, though, Hawk Harrelson has been doing White Sox games for 30 years.