A.J.K.

Dickerson & Impemba to trade broadcasting roles at times during 2016 season

Source: Dan Dickerson, Mario Impemba to trade broadcasting roles at times during 2016 season | MLive.com

By Chris Iott | ciott@mlive.com

Follow on Twitter

on February 17, 2016 at 9:05 PM, updated February 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Ever wonder what it would be like to have Dan Dickerson on your television or Mario Impemba on your radio?

You're about to find out.

The details have yet to be worked out, but a plan is in the works to have Dickerson and Impemba switch roles during a yet-to-be determined number of Detroit Tigers games during the 2016 season, a source confirmed to MLive.com on Wednesday evening.

Lynn Henning of the Detroit News was the first to report the news.

The switch means Impemba will do play by play on some broadcasts on the Tigers radio network with Jim Price serving as the analyst. During those same games, Dickerson will work as the play-by-play man on Fox Sports Detroit broadcasts.

Rod Allen, Kirk Gibson and Jack Morris will continue to serve in an analyst rotation on Fox Sports Detroit. Craig Monroe is expected to be in that mix as well.

Dickerson and Impemba will trade spots for the first time March 8 for a Grapefruit League game in Lakeland between the Tigers and the Tampa Bay Rays, the source said.

I really hope I'm not stuck listening to the radio on one of the days that Dan is doing tv.

I like Mario and the job he does. However, I am excited to hear Dan Dickerson on the TV broadcasts. I live in an area that I can get the Tiger games on TV, but can't get the radio broadcasts unless it's on the internet. The stations just don't come in well where I live. I certainly wish a station closer to me would carry the Tigers. So.....I'm looking forward to hearing Dan.

I like Dan on radio because he is exactly as descriptive of the action as I like him to be. He'll tell you what kind of pitch it was, how fast, and where it was located vis a vis the zone. I hope he continues that even though we have the picture in front of us.

I have low expectations for Mario on radio. It wouldn't take much for him to exceed them, and yet I don't like his chances to, either.

I wouldn't underestimate Mario on the radio. I think the guy is a real broadcasting professional and knows the difference between what a radio guy and a TV guy need to do.

I like Dan on radio because he is exactly as descriptive of the action as I like him to be. He'll tell you what kind of pitch it was, how fast, and where it was located vis a vis the zone. I hope he continues that even though we have the picture in front of us.

I have low expectations for Mario on radio. It wouldn't take much for him to exceed them, and yet I don't like his chances to, either.

In fairness to Impemba, (1) taking the place of Dickerson is a no win proposition and (2) radio play-by-play has to be handled differently than television play-by-play, and is probably a bit more complex because there are no visible pictures to help the mind's eye see the action.

I wouldn't underestimate Mario on the radio. I think the guy is a real broadcasting professional and knows the difference between what a radio guy and a TV guy need to do.

I'm sure they have an idea what they are getting into and have undergone some prep work for it. This isn't an idea that was born just this week.

Was Impemba done radio before? I know he was with the Angels before, but I think that was TV.

Dickerson has done TV before. I've watched a couple of college hockey games that he's called and I thought he did well.

I agree Mario will do fine - I think the bigger trick is for the radio guy to know when to stop talking or how to cut off his own story telling. If you talk over a pitch on the radio you usually have till the next pitch to finish what you are saying and go back and describe it. On the tele if you don't stay closer in sync with the action it doesn't work - makes it seem you are ignoring the action.

He won't be as good as Dickerson, but I think he'll do fine on the radio. He is vanilla on TV because that's what they want. He'll be a little different on the radio.

According to Wikipedia he was the radio voice of the Angels for 7 seasons, filling in on TV when needed. He knows what he's doing. The question will be whether fans find it appealing. It's one of taste.

According to Wikipedia he was the radio voice of the Angels for 7 seasons, filling in on TV when needed. He knows what he's doing. The question will be whether fans find it appealing. It's one of taste.

Huh, I swore he handled TV rather than radio. Shows you what I know.

Anyway, where is Biff weighing in on this? I am eagerly awaiting his Mario vs Rod conspiracy theories.

I like Impemba and Dickerson--both do a good job and shouldn't have any issues adjusting to a new role. Both are pro's and will make any necessary adjustments to be successful. They aren't the problem.

Fight the real enemy: #jimprice, #catchersrulethe world, #essential68Tigerscog

I don't hate this, but man Dan is one of the best so even if Mario does very well it probably won't be as good. That said, if it's only something like 6 games out of 162, it's no big deal.

Curious to see what his chemistry with Jim is like. I have no idea how Rod and Dan will work together, and actually wouldn't be surprised if they never get paired.

I don't hate this, but man Dan is one of the best so even if Mario does very well it probably won't be as good. That said, if it's only something like 6 games out of 162, it's no big deal.

Curious to see what his chemistry with Jim is like. I have no idea how Rod and Dan will work together, and actually wouldn't be surprised if they never get paired.

Pairing Dickerson and Allen would be criminal.

I'd like to see Dickerson with Gibson.
That's the A Team. One of Dan's strengths is his commentary and description of the game. The cameras make some of that redundant. I'm sure he will adapt though.

I doubt Dan changes the way he does play by play. The interaction with the analyst will be different of course.

Mario is fine, technically, but his voice annoys me and he's so vanilla. Rod at least says something funny every once in awhile and I bet he'd have a better rapport with Dan.

Does anyone have any inclination as to why this is being done? I think Impemba is pretty good at what he does. And I think the biggest knock on Dickerson is that he followed Ernie and isn't Ernie. Why mix? Are they throwing one or both guys a bone?

The article said it was ilitchs idea. Maybe they want to make Dickerson more of the face of the team from a media standpoint. Face time with the audience.

As someone who listens to far more games on radio than he watches on TV, and also greatly prefers Dan to Mario, I'm not happy about this. At all.

I wonder if a personality clash hasn't developed in one of the booths that they're trying to work around? If so, my guess would be the TV side because Dan and Jim always seem to genuinely enjoy working together.

Pairing Dickerson and Allen would be criminal.

You know you can't wait for Dickerson to explain sabermetrics to Allen.

I agree Mario will do fine - I think the bigger trick is for the radio guy to know when to stop talking or how to cut off his own story telling.

Mario has stories to tell? I musta missed that.

This guy has NO stories to tell, no passion for the game, no insight. He just doesn't add much.