Sydney_Fife

Pistons Acquire Tobias Harris

I like the move, a bad player and someone who hasn't really fit for a solid young player. I know Harris' three point shooting has been bad, but he rebounds decently for his size, and his shooting % inside the arc is immediately the 2nd best on the team, and nearly 10% better than Ilyasova's.

I like the move, a bad player and someone who hasn't really fit for a solid young player. I know Harris' three point shooting has been bad, but he rebounds decently for his size, and his shooting % inside the arc is immediately the 2nd best on the team, and nearly 10% better than Ilyasova's.

I agree, this is basically cashing in our chips for FA, but there's a good chance you could whiff. So instead you get a guy (I assume) SVG wanted last FA for the 2 expiring contracts. Good business.

That said I know little about Tobias. Is he athletic? Can he handle the ball, play D?

But we now have a starting 5 that is club controlled and all young or just in their prime. AND Stanley Johnson. Not bad considering we've had no lottery wins and no all-star FAs.

His FT% is good and he was good last year at the 3pt (36.4%) so there might still be upside.

...That said I know little about Tobias. Is he athletic? Can he handle the ball, play D?

But we now have a starting 5 that is club controlled and all young or just in their prime. AND Stanley Johnson. Not bad considering we've had no lottery wins and no all-star FAs..

I believe he's not that athletic and a bit below average on D. But SVG will push him... if he could get to average D, find a decent Defensive PF to back him up.

I like that second part. Another "not superior" move, but solid, IMO. Takes us out of the chase-after-Horford or Anderson market this summer. And maybe into the market of looking for a solid backup PF to push Tolliver into being the 3rd PF instead...

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

I liked Irsan (probably the only one here) but this could be a game changer if SVG can straighten him out. Didn't we try and sign him during the off-season?

I liked Irsan (probably the only one here) but this could be a game changer if SVG can straighten him out. Didn't we try and sign him during the off-season?

I liked Ersan too. But I would've liked him more as a backup.

I do like Harris better. Primarily due to age.

I believe we did chase after him last summer...

I also think this will give us a boost down the stretch...

His FT% is good and he was good last year at the 3pt (36.4%) so there might still be upside.

I believe he's not that athletic and a bit below average on D. But SVG will push him... if he could get to average D, find a decent Defensive PF to back him up.

I like that second part. Another "not superior" move, but solid, IMO. Takes us out of the chase-after-Horford or Anderson market this summer. And maybe into the market of looking for a solid backup PF to push Tolliver into being the 3rd PF instead...

A few articles recently have really praised his D

Ha, both he and Marcus are listed as 6'9" 235lbs. on bkref. So I supposed you could mix and match defensively based on their strengths vs. who they're guarding.

Agreed on your last point, we probably need a backup 4, as well as a backup PG/SG in the off-season. But this is basically our big FA signing, and we get it for the stretch run this year too. Keeping an eye on the long-term was critical and accomplished.

Not sure how this helps the offense if other teams can just sag on the pick and roll and not worry about shooting.

Otoh, any sort of offense other than watching reggie Jackson over dribble for 20 seconds would be welcome, so someone who can get their own shot would be helpful.

At least svg is smart enough to know they aren't going to be able to get anyone decent in free agency.

He shot 44% last year on corner 3s. Gotta think SVG is hoping o make that magic happen again.

That's an encouraging stat.

Yah, its basically this over Ryan Anderson the way I look at it. Sold every time.

This team has a lot of guys who are underperforming as 3 point shooters IMO. It will be interesting to see if we can get it right. We still need 1-2 more shooters too

Quick scouting report on Harris, for those who have not seen much of him:

--more athletic than Morris, not as athletic as Stanimal. Can finish in traffic and in transition pretty well/with authority.

--Solid leaper, solid rebounder capable of putting together a few double/doubles per week if given minutes.

--OK ball handler, maybe even plus for a combo forward.

--black hole, don't expect to get the ball back once it goes to him. Think Adrian Dantley during his Detroit years, with more size and athletic ability.

--Nice stroke from deep. Keep him shooting in the corners, not the wings. Will pump fake effectively and get to the goal.

--Not known for defense, but is capable of guarding most threes or fours competently.

--Can block some shots.

--Becomes the second-best scorer for Detroit.

Zach Lowe pointing out that we are set up to have a lot of flexibility when it comes to defensive switching. I think this is basically a true Van GUndy team now. Time to see if it works.

Jackson,Harris and Morris aren't perfect players, but they are pretty damn talented to have gotten for what we gave up. I'm impressed with SVG the GM.

I think the question is going to be, does Morris get to play PF like he wants to now, and we let Harris play the 3? Read an article that stated he was playing better at the 3 than the 4 but it was back in December I think so things have changed.

For the record, he definitely had a rough December and January but his November was really good. 35% from 3, 8 rpg, 14 pts. I think the big reason for his decline in scoring is his reduced USG% from 22% to 19%, he's taking 3 fewer shots per game, and playing 3 fewer mpg. I think there's ample reason to think he can rebound from this slump. All that said, as Del commented...gotta wonder how Orlando is so ready to give up on him so soon.