FRM710

Michigan Recruiting 2017

Tyrone Wheatley sr. is tweeting hints that Isaiah, Najee are in the fold. 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Well....and that rashan gary dude.

Gary may very well be more impactful as a player than DPJ ends up being, but just IMO DPJ could bring supers like Harris and Nico Collins to the program with him.  It is difficult to call Collins a super, even though he is extremely underrated, but Harris certainly is.

Peppers, beyond being a great individual get for the program, brought that NJ pipeline along with major national praise.  DPJ/Thomas/Kelly-Powell lock up the top three players in the state for Michigan in a year where that actually means something nationally and certainly within the conference. 

13 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

If Sam ever wrote a book about the program spanning the last decade or so it would be an amazing read.

True, him and Beaver could tell some amazing stories.   Rojo, travis johnson and a lot more

• Like 1

The next announcement by a Michigan target is supposed to be Jordan Anthony, a 4* OLB out of IMG Academy.

Anthony, 6'1 210,  is the 13th rated OLB in the country and is rated 3rd in FL and is 185th rated player in the country per Scout.

His other top offers come from Auburn, Clemson, Oklahoma, Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska, O$U, UNC, ant Virginia Tech.

Of note, his teammate Dylan Moses (6'3 235, 4.56) is the top rated OLB in FL and the Country--where he is Scout's 6th rated player overall.

Moses and the 2nd rated OLB in FL (3rd in the Country) are both committed to 'Bama.

Also of note--the 5th-best OLB prospect in FL is apparently the 3rd best OLB on IMG's squad.  He's toing to TAMU.  Wow.

Some talk about the Alabama D Coordinator going to another school which might disrupt their late recruiting a bit

38 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Some talk about the Alabama D Coordinator going to another school which might disrupt their late recruiting a bit

He's Najee Harris' biggest connection to Alabama, so that would be pretty interesting.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

So we're getting Harris and Moses you say? Sweet

I see Mo Hurst is staying of a 5th year.  That helps on the defensive side of the ball.

I wonder if Jabrill is having thoughts of staying.  Seeing the recruiting class and what it would mean for UM if he came back.  Both MSU and OSU at home.  I haven't heard a thing from him on it.

If Jake long and Taylor Lewan and chad henne can return, then peppers could return. 

I doubt it though. 

I just can't see Peppers sticking around unless it is to transition back to safety to prepare him for the NFL.  Of course, leading Michigan to its first NC in two decades would be a huge bonus.

well, his draft stock may not be very high right now. He seems to lack a clear position and he let up a completion on 20/26 passes targetted at the guy he was covering. No passes defenses, 1 turnover caused in his career. He does certain things well, but he has a lot of growing to do as a football player. A year back might be a smart idea if the advisory board doesn't give him a first round grade. 

4 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

well, his draft stock may not be very high right now. He seems to lack a clear position and he let up a completion on 20/26 passes targetted at the guy he was covering. No passes defenses, 1 turnover caused in his career. He does certain things well, but he has a lot of growing to do as a football player. A year back might be a smart idea if the advisory board doesn't give him a first round grade. 

Have to agree this season was a total loss in term of enhancing his pro status. But it will probably not make any difference.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Have to agree this season was a total loss in term of enhancing his pro status. But it will probably not make any difference.

likely not

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I guess it depends on what you feel is very high vs not high for Peppers.  I suspect Peppers is anywhere from a 10-20 pick in the draft, and of course a poor 40 (slower than 4.55) at the combine could mean lower into the bottom of the 1st.  I expect Peppers to put up 225 close to 30 times, which is freakish for his size.  I also expect his shuttles to be outstanding, and his vertical to be solid.  It will be interesting to see how he grades in getting into and out of his backpedal, but it is easy to see he is still a very fluid athlete in spite of the body mass he's put on since coming to AA.

Harbaugh playing him so much on offense definitely didn't do him any favors on defense.  Not only did it increase his physical workload, but it also pretty much kept him out of defensive conversation with position coaches and Brown during the game because he was always right by Harbaugh.  Peppers' draftability is as much about his high performance (6th amongst college LB in TFL, 4th in PR average.  This is truly a ridiculous combination at the NCAA level.) as he is about his high ceiling.

While it is unlikely that he will accrue TFL at as high of a level in the NFL, his value as a return man is not to be understated.  IMO, Peppers needs to prove his value as a SS to be a top-5 pick--which is probably where he feels he should be drafted.  As an OLB, it is tough to say what his value is in the NFL but scouts surely see how often he gets lost in the wash and how he is prone to over-pursuit from the OLB spot.

So yeah, if Peppers doesn't feel he can run in the neighborhood of 4.5 flat then maybe he does go back to school and stick to defense in 2017.

18 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I guess it depends on what you feel is very high vs not high for Peppers.  I suspect Peppers is anywhere from a 10-20 pick in the draft, and of course a poor 40 (slower than 4.55) at the combine could mean lower into the bottom of the 1st.  I expect Peppers to put up 225 close to 30 times, which is freakish for his size.  I also expect his shuttles to be outstanding, and his vertical to be solid.  It will be interesting to see how he grades in getting into and out of his backpedal, but it is easy to see he is still a very fluid athlete in spite of the body mass he's put on since coming to AA.

Harbaugh playing him so much on offense definitely didn't do him any favors on defense.  Not only did it increase his physical workload, but it also pretty much kept him out of defensive conversation with position coaches and Brown during the game because he was always right by Harbaugh.  Peppers' draftability is as much about his high performance (6th amongst college LB in TFL, 4th in PR average.  This is truly a ridiculous combination at the NCAA level.) as he is about his high ceiling.

While it is unlikely that he will accrue TFL at as high of a level in the NFL, his value as a return man is not to be understated.  IMO, Peppers needs to prove his value as a SS to be a top-5 pick--which is probably where he feels he should be drafted.  As an OLB, it is tough to say what his value is in the NFL but scouts surely see how often he gets lost in the wash and how he is prone to over-pursuit from the OLB spot.

So yeah, if Peppers doesn't feel he can run in the neighborhood of 4.5 flat then maybe he does go back to school and stick to defense in 2017.

Pretty much sums it up. Scouts already know he's going to blow up the combine though. Like I said, if he gets a 2nd round grade from the board, I think he maybe comes back, if its a first round grade, he goes unquestionably. He's gotta learn how to cover though, and he appears to have poor instincts, though high football IQ

Fewer and fewer regular starters seem to return kicks and punts also, so how much value added is that? Tough call. You have to use him there for a while at least I'd think. 

Jordan Anthony, LB from IMG commits to UM.  Scout has him as the #13OLB nationally and #3OLB in FL.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Rivals has Anthony at 5 stars and 26th ranked prospect(best OLB) in the country.   Great get!

This is a pretty aggressive ranking for this kid, and likely based on his ceiling rather than his play this season (which isn't uncommon).

This was his first full year playing LB, I heard, as he was a highly regarded RB prospect last season. 

Either way, there are a few people comparing him to Bush with a higher athletic ceiling--which to me is very high praise.

Great get, indeed.