RedRamage

Would you trade Stafford right now if the price was right?

PS: Why would the Browns do that trade you guys are talking about? Why wouldn't they just ride McCown for as long as they can (64% completion last year, 12-4 TD-Int ratio), keep all their draft picks, see if Gordon can turn it around and become the excellent receiver that he's capable of being (instead of selling him low), draft (or develop Manziel? uggh...) their "QB of the Future" this year or next year, build the team up with top-of-the-round draft picks this year and next year, and become a good team in 2018 with Goss or Cook or whomever?

Where is Stafford going to take them in two years? Into the Super Bowl? And then into his free agency?

Cleveland doesn't do that trade.

FTR, I don't think they'd do the particular trade because there are likely QBs worth drafting at 2 overall. My issue is with the overall philosophy you are espousing

Every team wants to get a franchise QB, especially teams like Cleveland who haven't had one in decades. They aren't gonna say, uh, we aren't at a point in time where we are ready to have a good QB.

Also stop saying 28 year old like that's old. Guys Stafford's caliber are getting new extensions when they are 5+ years older than that

No.

If you're a bad team, you build around a 22 y.o. QB and hope you get enough talent around him to help you contend when he hits his prime. And gets past his growing pains.

28 isn't old. But it's the wrong age for a team that just went 3-13. Plus, he's a free agent in 2 years. And a team may certainly sign a free agent veteran QB (journeyman, franchise, or otherwise), but that costs only money. I don't think too many franchise QB's sign with rebuilding teams so that may not be a good option.

But yes, Cleveland says no to the trade because it's the wrong move. For more than just one reason. (28 y.o., too far away from contention/ too many holes, he's a free agent in 2 years, give up too much in the way of draft picks/ talent that you need to rebuild your team, etc.).

Again, if a bad team has traded a bunch of draft picks/ talent for a franchise QB in the midst/prime of his career (say 25-30-ish) then, show me.

I think you're 100% wrong.

If this would actually happen(probably a major long shot), but what QB would the Lions draft? Goff? Lynch? Cook?

I've been on board with saying that I think Connor Cook will end up being a solid NFL QB in the line of a Carson Palmer, Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. That said, if I was picking #2 overall, and wasn't trading that pick back to acquire more picks, I would go with Lynch ahead of Cook or Goff.

And a potential #1 WR too, albeit one who is a suspension away from never playing a down in the NFL again.

What's the point if there is no QB to throw to him? Not to mention the fact that this WR has had a multitude of legal troubles.

There's a reason why teams hold on to and often overpay good to great QBs. Because they aren't stupid and know the value of having a good QB and how hard it is to fill the void if they dealt that QB.

I don't understand this "selling high" either. Is Stafford's career now on the downturn at the ripe old age of 28? What they need to do is continue to build around him. Beef up that offensive line, add a few more receivers. Unless there was a franchise QB available in the draft, which there certainly isn't in this draft IMO, then it makes no sense to deal him now.

It's not that his career is on the downturn, it's that he might not be as good as he is being built up to be and thus, might not be an untouchable commodity.

It's not that his career is on the downturn, it's that he might not be as good as he is being built up to be and thus, might not be an untouchable commodity.

If Quinn doesn't believe he's legit, they should definitely trade him for a solid offer

The flip side is you don't trade a solid qb with a high ceiling because his future is uncertain for even more uncertainty.

In other words, if you are trading him because you don't like his uncertain future, it seems to me you would have to trade him for higher floor/lower ceiling guys rather than even lower floor/higher ceiling guys.

I think this idea is quite poorly considered, FWIW.

Perhaps but he's their best option by far and this draft is looking like a weak QB class so I don't see any realistic deals that would satisfy the Lions needs. without hurting them at the most important position in football.

I think in a weird way that Calvin retiring (or most likely retiring) might be a blessing in disguise for Stafford because he doesn't have to focus so much on forcing the ball to him and can learn to spread the ball around better. He started doing that last season and was better off for it.

I look at this season as an evaluation year for Quinn, it'll be an audition of sorts for a lot of players and coaches for that matter.

Fun, obscure stat of the day.

Stafford is the only QB EVER to complete 60% of his passes in all 16 games of a season, out of 484 QBs to have completed at least 60% for a season.

I think in a weird way that Calvin retiring (or most likely retiring) might be a blessing in disguise for Stafford because he doesn't have to focus so much on forcing the ball to him and can learn to spread the ball around better. He started doing that last season and was better off for it.

If Quinn doesn't add a significant weapon for Matt Stafford in the off-season or someone (TJ Jones, Golden Tate, a drafted rookie) doesn't step up for him in a big way, I think there is a chance that Stafford has a statistical regression next year. I just don't think he has the kind of talent and football IQ to elevate mediocre talents like a Rodgers, Brees, Brady do.

Elevating mediocre talents is a myth for the most part IMO.

Get producdtion out of em? Sure, but not elevate, and Stafford has doen that IMO. Guys like Durham,Scheffler and Burleson were out of the year the year after Stafford got production out of them. He got a ton of production out of Pettigrew for his first 4-5 years. He got more out of Lance Moore than Big Ben did. He got a lot more out of Tate than Russell Wilson did. I'm just not buying it. Everyone takes a hit without their top WR, look at Rodgers and Brady without Nelson and Gronk. At the same time, Stafford adjusted and got more out of Tate last year when needed. Just like those other guys did.