RedRamage

The Shredder Ranks the Tigers...

Okay, I know it's pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's something to talk about. MLB network is ranking players again. As far as I've found they've only done 2nd basemen so far, but I'll look and update as I find more rankings.

C:

1B: Miguel Cabrera - #3

2B: Ian Kinsler - #4

3B: --- no tiger listed in top 10

SS: --- no tiger listed in top 10

LF:

CF:

RF:

I think they've also done RF and JD was on there somewhere (maybe #5 but not certain)

They did 3B and SS one night and no Tigers were ranked in the top 10.

It will be up to my AAT to make them pay for that insult....

Brian Kenny looks like he got his hair cut in the shredder

You laugh, and justifiably so, but some of us wish we still had that much hair on top of the head.

Okay, I know it's pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's something to talk about. MLB network is ranking players again. As far as I've found they've only done 2nd basemen so far, but I'll look and update as I find more rankings.

C: TBD

1B: Miguel Cabrera - #3

2B: Ian Kinsler - #4

3B: --- no tiger listed in top 10

SS: --- no tiger listed in top 10

LF: --- Upton #3, note Cespedes at 4

CF: --- nope

RF: TBD

SP: --- not unless Price (4) or Scherzer (6) can still count

RP: --- don't kid yourself, but note Andrew Miller

I rounded out the rest for you, and here's the clip to the LF ranks

MLB Network ranks top left fielders right now | MLB.com

Found 1st baseman... Cabrera at #3, Votto and Goldschmidt in front of him.

Would anyone take either of those guys over Miggy? Straight up, salary is not an issue...just going off pure talent on the field. I like Votto quite a bit and he is younger...I am not sure if that played into the rankings or not, I missed that one. I would imagine it had to if they have Goldschmidt ahead of Miggy.

Thanks Zach.

So I think it's safe to say that McCann won't be in the top 10. I think JD has a chance, though it'll be like 8-10 range if he gets in. So it looks like two #3s and one #4 for the Tigers.

Would anyone take either of those guys over Miggy? Straight up, salary is not an issue...just going off pure talent on the field. I like Votto quite a bit and he is younger...I am not sure if that played into the rankings or not, I missed that one. I would imagine it had to if they have Goldschmidt ahead of Miggy.

Based on age and likelihood of staying healthy, I would take Goldschmidt over Cabrera. Votto has had a lot of trouble with his knee, so he doesn't have an advantage there.

From a purely hitting perspective I would take Cabrera over any of the other first basemen. Guys like goldschmidt and rizzo may rate higher overall due to their defense, but it's so hard to truly quantify that.

From a purely hitting perspective I would take Cabrera over any of the other first basemen. Guys like goldschmidt and rizzo may rate higher overall due to their defense, but it's so hard to truly quantify that.

And Goldschmidt has much better power numbers and can steal 20 bases.

Based on age and likelihood of staying healthy, I would take Goldschmidt over Cabrera. Votto has had a lot of trouble with his knee, so he doesn't have an advantage there.

Yeah the age factor would have to come into play. I thought the same about Votto and his health issues. Goldschmidt is quite a bit younger than Miggy, but it is still hard to pick him over Miggy with only 4 years of service under his belt. I get nervous about young talent like that though. My opinions on young guys are well documented in this thread. This would be hard for me to do.

And Goldschmidt has much better power numbers and can steal 20 bases.

Yeah, at least over the last couple years. I think cabrera's power output is going to rebound, though, so I think things are going to look different at the end of 2016.

The base running difference does exist. I'm not a big stolen bases guy but there is no doubt that goldschmidt does a better job on the base paths than Cabrera and will continue to do so.

I'd still rather have cabrera's offensive output (including base running) but it's not like that's a slam dunk. The defensive difference puts goldschmidt over the top overall.

Yeah the age factor would have to come into play. I thought the same about Votto and his health issues. Goldschmidt is quite a bit younger than Miggy, but it is still hard to pick him over Miggy with only 4 years of service under his belt. I get nervous about young talent like that though. My opinions on young guys are well documented in this thread. This would be hard for me to do.

What would it take for you to stop being nervous about Goldschmidt?

What would it take for you to stop being nervous about Goldschmidt?

I guess another year of his normal production would probably sell me on the idea. I said that about Trout for about 3 years in a row. I wanted to see more than one year. Then after 2 I wanted to see more than 2. I think a solid 5 years of doing it every year is enough for me.

I guess another year of his normal production would probably sell me on the idea. I said that about Trout for about 3 years in a row. I wanted to see more than one year. Then after 2 I wanted to see more than 2. I think a solid 5 years of doing it every year is enough for me.

How many more years do you need to see from JD?

And I think and Miguel's net D is undervalued because while he doesn't have great range on batted balls , he has tremendous range and talent at fielding throws. I'd wager Miggy saves more than the average number of potential throwing errors.

I think Miggy also feeds the 3-6-3 or 3-6-1 DP as well as anyone I have seen.

His throws to 3B and home are often really good as well.

It isn't a big deal, but might save a run or two over the course of a season.

And I think and Miguel's net D is undervalued because while he doesn't have great range on batted balls , he has tremendous range and talent at fielding throws. I'd wager Miggy saves more than the average number of potential throwing errors.

I was going to post something very similar. I like his defense at first.